PDA

View Full Version : christmas card lesson

RuthT
07-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Three years ago I took a 1-day course in painting christmas cards. I plan to paint another winter scene this year. I would like some comments and critiques of this one to help with the next one. The graphic is not too good, but when I tried to improve it I ran into a 'litany of errors'
1. The original was framed.
2. The frame was fastened with 8 tightly embedded screws.
3. The new electrice screwdriver I bought has to be charged up.
4. When I decided to scan the card produced rather that the original, the colors were too pale.
5. When I tried to adjust the scanner, I pressed the wrong button and erased the color program and it wont scan at all now.
6. Can't find the scanner disc to re-install it.

So here is the pale scan of the card. If I have any success with a better image I'll post it later. I know I'm supposed to be able to adjust it in Adobe but am afriad to try in case I lose the only scan I've got!

Fagan
07-25-2001, 12:58 AM
I have had days like that...several! *laugh*....
I like what you have posted here. A very nice watercolor!

jerryW
07-25-2001, 01:16 AM
almost everyday is like that.
I love your card.

Chuck
07-25-2001, 09:04 AM
Very nice Xmas watercolor with effective whites of paper showing throughout. Btw, thatís some great smoke...but how will Santa get in?

NorahT
07-25-2001, 09:24 AM
Ruth - your post came through just fine - good luck with re-installing the colour programme (wow - just look at all that British spelling coming through :) .

Chuck - Santa must have a flame-proot outfit - we all got our gifts that year ;)

RuthT
07-25-2001, 06:34 PM
Thank you Fagan, Jerry, Chuck, and Norah for your kind comments on my card. Looks as if I might try another. Have a photograph of a little house in the Canadian Rockies I took on a snowy October day some years back.

Don't think this one has a chimney Chuck :)

Was slow in answering because I was having trouble with my mouse - cleaned it and the whole thing stopped working!! Managed to re-instal it, but the re-instal it not working on the scanner :crying:

JeanineJ
07-25-2001, 06:46 PM
I am proud of all of us for posting anything at all! Most artists I know have difficulty working their answering machines!

This is a Christmas card that I would keep!!! For your next one, you may consider what my teacher says about snow: "It's not white!" Cast shadows, colors in drifts, etc. may make your next greeting even more lovely...

TeAnne
07-25-2001, 07:05 PM
That is beautiful :) Good luck with your scanner. I hate mine.

Christie
07-25-2001, 08:56 PM
Some days it does not pay to have technology around. I love the picture btw.

Have you contacted the scanner manufacturer or looked on the internet for the drivers?

RuthT
07-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Thank you all :)

Jeanine -The suggestion of shadows, and colors in the drifts is very helpful, and sounds like fun too.

TeAnne - I had loved my scanner up 'til now, but my affection is beginning to wear off !!!

Christie - Was going to try to contact the manufacturer tomorrow, but may try the drivers on the internet first. (Have no idea what a driver is, let alone that they are on the internet. 'PC for Dummies' here I come :D )

Christie
07-25-2001, 10:32 PM
Send me a message if you need help. i may be able to dig out drivers for you. I'll need some info about the scanner if you decide to talk to me though.:p