PDA

View Full Version : First snow

artinoils
12-08-2003, 05:02 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2003/7970_pleinairfromporchsnow.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-08-2003/7970_pleinairfromporchsnowlineartfaces.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: First snow
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x13
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Plein aire from the porch...froze my #*! off. Light moves quicker this time of year, too. Spent about an hour and 15 min. So it is what it is. May try to work again if the weather is the same.
The other scary thing...while editing photo did a "convert to line art" and skulls and faces appeared...check it out in second image.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

Wayne Gaudon
12-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I like the soft muted coloring but can't sense any real depth or get a true feel of snow.

Can't say exactly but I think if the pines were more defined and the depth was there then it would come alive .. for me that is .. of course, I'm sure everyone behind me will disagree LOL ..

Rabbit Twilight
12-08-2003, 10:30 AM
I really like the color palette, and the lights.

giniaad
12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
frozen artist discovered
upon digging in the snow for clues
a frosted, rather lovely
piece of art was found beside her

yeah, you could go farther with this
but, I think it should stay as is
it tells the story well
(you could use it as a study for another painting
so, not disagreeing with you wayne :) )

love the subtleties of light and shadow
over all colors and composition too

(in #2 I barely see also a reclined figure)

jackiesimmonds
12-08-2003, 03:14 PM
I love the liveliness of the brush strokes, and the feeling of immediacy about the image...but I am unconvinced by the snow. If there was warm golden sunlight on that snow, you would have the most glorious blues and turquoises in the shadows....if it was evening light, moving from bright sunlight to the softer pinks of evening, the shadows would still be cool, perhaps more purple-y.

If you weren't trying to observe particularly, and were using expressive colour - then feel free to ignore me!

artinoils
12-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions...worked on it some more today...still freezing.
This is the ending, it was 3-4pm.

mattlart
12-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Painting "en plein air" is CHALLENGING, isn't it?

LOL,..; I've yet to do one that I've been happy with yet, Sue!

I guess the key,..as with all else;..is practice;..doing it again;..and again,..and,..well;...then again;..a nice warm brandy sounds good right now!:D :evil: :angel: ;)

Best Wishes,-Scott

mcknight
12-09-2003, 11:36 AM
I feel that this lacks the sensitivity and humanity of your figurative and still works. I think it would be worth doing one more session to see if it can go further.

giniaad
12-09-2003, 09:41 PM
well, now you've gone and done it...
had to mess with a good thing...
too bad one can not please everyone...
I enjoyed the first better...
(unless it is the digital taken in poor lighting)
I loved the ver bright wintery sun bathed scene
this seems dark...I know you finished late in the day
...I don't know what to say...
this is nice, but the first grabbed me more
(I know you can still spin your golden ways on this
if you choose to):)