PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 8 - 14 Dec

E-J
12-08-2003, 05:01 AM
Welcome to another weekly sketch thread!

This thread starts afresh each Monday and the idea behind it is to get pastelling as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit. 25 or 30 minutes ... or 40-45 ... it's up to you, but your sketch should take no longer than one hour. When your time's up, STOP - and share your efforts with us here. If you find it hard not to keep fiddling, set a timer. You can always go back to your piece later if you want to take it further.

The aims are:

- To sharpen your observational skills. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life, but there's no law against using a ref photo if you prefer!

- To make friends with your pastels through practice, practice, practice. No critiques will be given unless you request them, so if you're a newbie this is an especially safe place to start developing your pastel skills.

- To make time for regular pastelling. Most of us have many other demands on our time, but it shouldn't be hard to fit in a 20-min session, even in a busy day. Sketch a single object if you like. No subject is too humble!

- To loosen up, getting the essentials down on paper within the set time. It's also a chance to be a bit playful or experimental without the worry of ruining a more 'formal' piece.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate!

Last week's sketch thread can be viewed here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=149989

E-J
12-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Just a sketchbook quickie in contÚ sticks - this took 20 mins.

My teapot sits on a cup, so that as the tea brews it warms the cup through. I'm on the lookout for a new one, though - this one dribbles!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2003/13865-teapot.jpg

pampe
12-08-2003, 05:09 PM
PART OF A LARGER painting

but I stopped at 30 minutes for the phot

This is HARD!!!!

argh

HINTS ON COPPER greatly appreciated

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2003/4054-pastelcopper.jpg

E-J
12-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh my, Pam - this is superb - your best handling of the pastel yet!!

I've never painted copper ... but have done a couple of brass objects ... I just tried to paint the areas of different colour I could see, and I did notice that the objects reflected in the brass had a certain cast to them ... for example, blue was more turquoisey because of the influence of the brass colouring.

This is wonderful for 30 mins!!

Tap
12-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Just a sketchbook quickie in contÚ sticks - this took 20 mins.

My teapot sits on a cup, so that as the tea brews it warms the cup through. I'm on the lookout for a new one, though - this one dribbles!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2003/13865-teapot.jpg

I love your sketch, with the conte, I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done.

Tap ;~D

E-J
12-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Going to leave this one, Tap, and move on to something else! For me that's the joy of these quick sketches ... I don't have to fret that they're unfinished ... I did think of putting this teapot into a more considered still life but with its two handles, it's not the most elegant shape, is it? :D

prestonsega
12-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Pam...Your handling of the highly reflective copper surface is so well handled that YOU should give advice on conquering such a difficult subject. I am VERY impressed. You say this is only the beginning of a painting. Please show us the finished piece!

pampe
12-09-2003, 01:59 PM
thank you, Preston...I plan to do it in watercolor today and then in oil....till I "get" it

Stoy Jones
12-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Here is my 30 min. sketch for this week. I may yet pursue this further. I have much work to do on the head and ear. Done on the same brown paper, but may consider doing a final piece on some better paper soon.

Stoy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/18715-giraffesketch.jpg

E-J
12-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Stoy, another escapee from your menagerie :D

This is looking great, so I hope you do decide to finish it - and that you'll come back later with another version on some decent paper ... though the brown wrap really does suit these animal studies of yours! You have a clean and delicate touch with the pastels - an attractive style.

E-J
12-09-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm finding if I keep my Fabriano sketchbook to hand, it is easier to fit in a quickie sketch here and there, even if I'm tired or only have 25 mins to spare. ContÚs again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/13865-9dec03.jpg

Tap
12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Going to leave this one, Tap, and move on to something else! For me that's the joy of these quick sketches ... I don't have to fret that they're unfinished ... I did think of putting this teapot into a more considered still life but with its two handles, it's not the most elegant shape, is it? :D

Okay, call me slow, but I'm getting the real idea here... the idea is to do the little sketches and not worry about finishing or having perfection in a short amount of time... sketch, work for a set period on the picture and move on, and in doing so you will get better with each sketch... DUH!!! I think my brain fell out or froze somewhere on the way to or from work...

No, not the most elegant shape, but maybe it could have some artistic license taken with it... the handles seem at odds to me... they don't match or coordinate somehow... hmmm, maybe that's why the pot dribbles. It's crying over it's shape...

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Stoy, you really have a way with the animals. If I tried this they could be entered for my abstract pieces. I wonder if there is a trick to sketching animals.

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-09-2003, 09:27 PM
I ought to try that. I have all sorts of sketch pads that I like, but haven't used. I'm really out of the habit of doing sketches of any kind really... I mean, I paint, I have no idea what I'm going to lay down, I just do...

I have the problem of once I start I don't want to stop. Wonder if I were to start taking my break like I'm supposed to and did small sketches for my 15 minute break how that would work. Suppose I could bring a sketch pad and some pastel pencils with me to work. And depending on the paper I brought maybe I'd get a start on working on a whole painting that I could finish when I got home and didn't have to worry about my pastels making a mess of me.

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-09-2003, 09:32 PM
I love your sketch, E-J. What did you do to get the lemon to look like that? What colors are your Conte? What color paper? And this is in a sketchbook? I need to do some shopping. LOL

I have stuff picked out for Santa to get me.

Tap ;~D

Stoy Jones
12-09-2003, 10:22 PM
Yup, that's the idea, Tap :) Whatever you can do in 30 min. Great for a warm up to do something else..or you might hit gold and keep on going with what you have already. Try it each week and you never know what you might end up with.

E-J, great looking fruit and pot! Also interested about your sketchbook. Is it colored paper or do you build up your background yourself?

Stoy

prestonsega
12-10-2003, 12:38 AM
Here is my effort for the week. 55 minutes, 9"x 12", soft pastel on Wallis.(wheeww!) It took a good 15 minutes to get the dark undercoating. Maybe next week I will give more fore thought to paper color.

PMurphy42
12-10-2003, 12:45 AM
Preston,

This turned out great. I like the colors of your foilage. Much brighter and colorful than the image picture.

I'm glad you let me know about this.

Keep going!!

Patti

prestonsega
12-10-2003, 12:45 AM
PS photo reference courtesy of PMurphy42

E-J
12-11-2003, 03:07 PM
My sketchbook is the Fabriano Artist's Journal and contains Ingres paper in a number of different colours. The ContÚ sticks are a set of 24 assorted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2003/13865-sketching.jpg

E-J
12-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Preston, as your image is quite small I can't tell whether you've put a lot of detail in there or whether you've just given the impression of a lot of detail ... either way ... superb stuff!

Forgive my delay in replying to the latest posts but between house-buying, work disasters and preparations for Christmas I am having the week from hell.

Keep those sketches coming! :)

JamieWG
12-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Preston, that was 55 minutes? Don't talk to me! Super job. :)

EJ, I want your teapot! I love that cup beneath. Fab idea. Great fruit. You must have quite a refrigerator. ;) And that painting of the pad and set of pastels is super. <kidding>

Stoy, I always think of giraffes as elegant creatures, and yours maintains this elegance in spite of the fact that it's a quick sketch. That surface works perfectly!

Pam, I did comment on your pots painting over in the Colorful Conversations thread the other day. Did you see it?

I'm sorry if anybody's left out....those are all the works I see below the reply screen. Please use the uploader instead of the attach file option. Only the Uploader lets us see your work when we come to reply to it!

I've been drooling over the set of Sennelier 80 half sticks and finally gave into temptation on a great sale....So, off to play. See y'all later.

Jamie

JamieWG
12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I decided to start a series of sketches of famous composers on a single, full sheet of MiTientes. I put Peter and the Wolf on the stereo and began with its creator, Prokofiev. This is about a half hour of work and takes up an area of the sheet 10X12 or so. I'm not sure how "finished" I'll make these sketches, but I think I'll do them all rough like this first, then tweak till satisfied. And yes, he's a bit of a strange-looking guy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Dec-2003/13766-Composers_Prokofiev_1_400.jpg

Jamie

sundiver
12-11-2003, 08:18 PM
E-J, I love your conte sketches. The lemon's my favourite.
I've been keeping an eye on Pam's copper pots in the other thread, good going on those, Stoy that's a very appealing giraffe, preston OMIGOSH just 55 minutes-wow, and Jamie I like your funny old Prokiev!
I haven't done anything since the weekend. I need to get out some apples and start sketching still lifes. Last winter's apple sketches all sold so that's an excuse to make some more!:)
Keep it up, guys, you're rockin'!

JamieWG
12-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Wendy, I'm looking forward to some still life sketches from you!

Here are more composers.....about 45 minutes each. It's so great to listen to their music while drawing them! (Sorry about the bad resolution....these are crops of the full sheet.)

William Walton:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2003/13766-Composers_Walton_400.jpg

Benjamin Britten:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2003/13766-Composers_Britten_400.jpg

And a pic of the full sheet, so you can get an idea of where I'm heading here...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Dec-2003/13766-Composers_3_wip_500.jpg

Jamie

pampe
12-12-2003, 01:20 PM
EJ!!!!!!!!!!! I have to have one of those sketchbooks before I travel in Jan....WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E-J
12-13-2003, 04:10 PM
Jamie, I think your series of composers is a cool idea :) I particularly like your Prokofiev.

Pam, the sketchbook is great to have handy when I want to do only a quick sketch. However, though it's bound, not glued, it is not always easy to get it to sit flat when I'm sketching.

The only 'art' I have managed to produce in the past four days is a sketch of a cat that looked like a baboon :(

E-J
12-13-2003, 04:57 PM
OK, so that sad confession prompted me to try something else - the se&ntilde;orita from the Ref Library. 30 mins in the same sketchbook, directly from my screen. Hopefully this time NOT reminiscent of a baboon!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Dec-2003/13865-senorita.jpg

JamieWG
12-13-2003, 05:27 PM
EJ, wow you are so fast. This is about 9X12"? 30 minutes? Amazing. Soft pastels, right? When you use soft pastels in front of your computer screen, how do you deal with the dust issues? I've been trying to figure that one out for awhile now!

Jamie

E-J
12-13-2003, 06:38 PM
Jamie, it's smaller than that - about half the size. This is ContÚ sticks again, which are hard pastels, so there's not as much dust as there might be, but still quite a bit. I used to put down a sheet of newspaper ... these days I don't bother!