PDA

View Full Version : Show Me Ocelot Spots - Please

saucy
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
I love Val's ocelot frit and have a little left. My beads haven't lived up to her frit, but I think it's the artist not the material.

Anyhow, I would love to see ocelot spots. Please show them loud and proud!

ValorieCox
12-07-2003, 09:14 PM
These are the beads from which the name came...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2003/10378-00ocelot.JPG

but now I see people taking is so much further than I ever did, and getting some very unexpected results! Val

saucy
12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
I absolutely love your ocelot spots. I haven't even come close to getting anything like yours. That's why I wanted to see more.

Sarica
12-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Here are mine...

lorwolff
12-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Wow,
You gals are great.
Thank you for showing those gorgeous spots.
Do you know of any tutorials out here on animal prints. I had some, and now can't find them.
I LOVE ANIMAL PRINTS.

saucy
12-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Hi lorwolff! These beads are actually made with reduction frit called Ocelot Spots. Our very own Val has it for sale on her website which is www.glasspoet.com. Ever since trying Val's frits I haven't looked back and I haven't stopped ordering.

I really love Val's ocelot spot beads and want to be able to get mine to look something like that, just in some different designs. I'm not good with bicones. :rolleyes:

Lisa Jordan
12-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Saucy,
I love Ocelot Spots! I used O.S. in two of my auctions that are up now (last bead in Trio #3, 1st two pics in Trio #5) if you click on my eBay link. Probably not what you are looking for if you are going for an animal print, but pretty neat effects anyway. Just O.S. on Ivory twisted and encased. (second two are on uranium w/ goldstone, twisted and encased.) Let us see what results your getting!
Lisa

Cole
12-08-2003, 01:10 AM
What is the trick to getting beads with Ocelot Spots look so nice? Mine look metallic or muddy, so I'm afraid to use it until I know how to. I have no experience with reduction anything. I've tried turning down oxy, I've tried turning down propane... I can't get it to look right.

TroyNC
12-08-2003, 01:49 AM
I LOVE Ocelot Spots!
I've ordered an obscene amount of it and most of the other frits from Val:D
One tip Val shared with me and I'll pass on is to shoot the ocelot spots with oxygen, just before you put it in the kiln. Even though it's a reduction glass, it seems to work most of the time:p
I also find it's best to use a light base on the bottom.
brandie

saucy
12-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Oh Lisa I love those effects! Beautiful. Now I gotta go try it.

TroyNC - I'll try giving a shot of O2. Thanks!

Barrie
12-09-2003, 02:23 AM
Here's one of my favorites with this wonderful frit!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/10732-Ocelot_Spot_Bicone.jpg

And this one is ivory, rolled in OS, then encased. The colors are amazing!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2003/10732-Encased_Ocelot_Set_1.jpg

Thanks for convincing us to push the envelope, Val!!

Barrie

Barrie
12-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Oops, I forgot to mention something I think is quite important!! For those of you who batch anneal, don't be afraid of the Ocelot frits!! I haven't lost one yet. Seriously. I do make sure I put my beads in my fiber blanket when they're still quite hot, not so they'll stick, but they still have quite the glow happening. Works like a charm! So don't be afraid to play, play, play!!

Barrie

blyneth
12-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Just wanted to mention: there are a few really nice examples in the thread called "Frits from Val." It looked like some people were able to squeeze some greens and blues our of them.

I've ordered some of the O.S. too!

b

CarlaAlexander
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Here is my latest with it. I have another set that I need to find the photo on that turned out really neat. I didn't burn it all in and used it like a sugar bead and they were SO cool. I think it is posted in the Val's Frit thread in the Technical board.

blyneth
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Now THAT is really cool. It was your set I was thinking of in Val's thread. They were really cool too. This one is fantastic!

b

TroyNC
12-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I love ocelot spots!
I love frit!!

Here's may favorite way to use Ocelot Spots

TroyNC
12-15-2003, 07:09 PM
tried to post two photo's!
I haven't figured out how to do that, yet!

TroyNC
12-15-2003, 07:10 PM
tried to post two photo's!
I haven't figured out how to do that, yet:confused:

Sarica
12-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Your kitties are adorable!!:cat: :clap:

TroyNC
12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Thank-You:o

dread
12-15-2003, 07:21 PM
What a great idea use ocelot spots for cats - sheesh - really nice kitties - I just opened my Val Frit box she just mailed to me today along with my CBS from Corina ! and some other lentil tongs I got off e-bay - I must run off and make some ocelot lentils - I hope tonight !

TroyNc - really nice kitties - I like the thier cute expression

Kimberly Watanabe
12-16-2003, 01:51 AM
I made a black bead, put an ivory belt around the middle, put the ocelot spots on the ivory belt, then melted and lentiled the beads. I love the way they turned out, though it was dark and rainy and my picture didn't turn out great and I gave away the watch as a gift..... but, I'm doing more of these for me!!

schweets
12-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Here are my Ocelot Spots. This is my VERY favorite frit!!

Medium Topaz, rolled in ocelot spots, laucha clear, 'lentilized'

Here are the beads close up....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/29639-ocelot2.jpg

And a picture of the finished piece....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Dec-2003/29639-Web_ocelot3s.jpg