PDA

View Full Version : Picture Problems

breslinc
12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I am having alot of problems with taking pictures of my art so I can post them on ebay. I keep getting a shinny spot (as you can see on the pic) and thats no good for ebay sales. Can anyone help out? I appreciate any and all help.

breslinc
12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
pic

ElizaLeahy
12-07-2003, 06:07 PM
You need good natural lighting - outside for example - so that the flash will not go off.

Stand the painting as straight up as possible and try to get the camera on the same angle, so that you don't get a photo that shows the picture with sloping sides.

If the painting doesn't show square, you can always fix it up slightly using a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop. If you need help with that let us know what program you have and whoever has that program will help.

Once you have the painting square and with no flash reflections you can do other things - like brighten the colours and sharpen the image. Both of these usually ahve to be done to make it look like it does in real life.

Let us know how you go.

imaginethat
12-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Eliza gave very good advice for the finished painting. Another suggestion for future paintings - take the picture before you varnish it! I can never get a good pic. once I've varnished....and with 2+ feet of snow outside right now, the alternative is not an option!

arlene
12-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Imagine what I do in those situations...is photograph my paintings by a large east window early in the day. Usually I if i put the camera on a tripod i can get a good shot that way, and then play with it in photoshop.

I agree photo before varnishing. it's a big mistake not to as i found out the hard way...LOL

breslinc
12-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Actually, there is no varnish on the painting yet. It was a bit wet (only 3 days drying) but I will take you advise.

Thanks

ElizaLeahy
12-07-2003, 08:33 PM
LOL!!!!! I never thought of snow! One of the advantages to living in the tropics I guess :)

Well then I suggest you go and invest in some lights. You can ask the photography people here what you should get. I got one for about $15 for the model, but if I was going to use it for paintings I think I would want two set up so that there was no shadowy patches.

A little bit of set up money, but once you have bought them you've got em!

TurtleKiss
12-08-2003, 01:06 PM
I have the same problem here (including the snow)! I have found that you can get fairly decent natural light from GE Reveal bulbs. You will still get a little glare, but it isn't nearly as bad as the artificial yellow bulb glare. Try to take your photos in a room bright enough to not require the use of your camera's flash. If your camera has a zoom lens, it might help to stand far away from the painting and zoom in on it. You will probably have to move the light source around and take a zillion pictures before finding out what works best. Good luck!

tmcclary
12-08-2003, 03:57 PM
All good advice so far. Also try not to shine your light right on the painting. Illuminate the surrounding area.