PDA

View Full Version : bids but reserve not met

scorpio32
12-07-2003, 02:17 PM
ok.....I had a piece that had a reserve of 130.00 ,had 3 bids up to 50.00(didn't sell) What do you guys do when the reserve is not met? Do you send the bidders emails? or just let it go? Relist?

dave:confused:

breslinc
12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
I commonly relist the item after I send out a second chance offer to all the bidders. You can offer the auction to them if they want to buy it at a lower price.

Example: I list an item with a reserve at $200.00. The highbid was $100.00. The auction ended with no winner. I contact the high bidder and offer to list a private auction to him with the starting price of $125-$150. He bids and wins the auction.

I know that the example shows the final winning bid lower than the reserve but its up to you. If you are just liquidating some of you pieces, it might be worth it. If not, relist and then send out an email to the bidders saying the auction is back on. Alot of people don't get the outbid notice until after the auction is over. Then its too late.

Work with the bidders via email. Most of the time they really want the piece but don't have the cash to buy it at your price. Sometimes you have to tailor to their needs and sacrifice yours to move the auction.

Just my 2 cents worth.

arlene
12-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Chris can we see your auctions?

breslinc
12-07-2003, 06:33 PM
I don't have any auctions going right now. I'm working on a large set now. I'll post here when they are up and going. I like to list several paintings at one time as they are usually part of a set.

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by scorpio32
ok.....I had a piece that had a reserve of 130.00 ,had 3 bids up to 50.00(didn't sell) What do you guys do when the reserve is not met? Do you send the bidders emails? or just let it go? Relist?

dave:confused:
You can contact high bidder and offer on 2nd chance. However my reserve is usually my absolute lowest price. Sold is nice, but 'giving' away work is not. I've always resented it, and makes it even tougher next time, and the next.
If you need $50 to pay the rent, go for it!
General concensus at the moment that hits are down, bids are down, sales are down. Why not wait and relist next year? That might do everyone a favour.
Good luck tho.
Regards,
Jillian

breslinc
12-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Arline,

here is one of the auctions I just posted. I am planning on posting quite a few in the next day or two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3644552756

pampe
12-09-2003, 07:09 PM
It's a really bad time to list

so now, you list without a reserve for $10.....?

perhaps an ABOUT ME PAGE...listing all the galleries you are in....

champagneharley
12-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by pampe
It's a really bad time to list

so now, you list without a reserve for $10.....?

perhaps an ABOUT ME PAGE...listing all the galleries you are in....
I really do resent 'giving' my work away. I will look for other markets. I am sure there ARE others out there.
I have been trying to be positive, but for some reason it's really not at all good. I tried looking as a perspective buyer, and got tired of looking at the $1 auctions for original oils that ship in the USA for a huge amount (if you don't like the art, they will refund the $1, but you have to pay postage, so it's not worth it). Hopefully the sales to some of these 'alternate' artworks (canvas mechanical paintings included) will slow down too, and because of sheer volume, and no sales, these will slow down or go, too.
So funny that it's happened so suddenly.
All the best.
Regards,
Jillian

breslinc
12-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Well... I listed the pieces at $10 starting bid because I didn't want to put a $1.00. There are so many of them out there. I know that the BIN is $10K but thats just to bump it up to the top or close to it in the main searches. Once someone bids on it for the first time, it goes away anyway. I expect to get atleast $150 for the big one and $100 for the smaller one. I know its a bad time to list but I'm only going to list about 10 pieces this month and then in Jan, I'll dump alot more on. This way it will give me time to finish those pieces that require a good bit of time to complete.

Thanks

champagneharley
12-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by breslinc
Well... I listed the pieces at $10 starting bid because I didn't want to put a $1.00. There are so many of them out there. I know that the BIN is $10K but thats just to bump it up to the top or close to it in the main searches. Once someone bids on it for the first time, it goes away anyway. I expect to get atleast $150 for the big one and $100 for the smaller one. I know its a bad time to list but I'm only going to list about 10 pieces this month and then in Jan, I'll dump alot more on. This way it will give me time to finish those pieces that require a good bit of time to complete.

Thanks
:) sounds like a plan! :D

I am looking at other venues.
However I will also treat this time as a time to create works for later release.
Hopefully will be so busy selling in future, won't have time for painting. *grin*
All the best.
Regards,
Jillian

arlene
12-11-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by breslinc

Thanks

you don't say what kind of canvas it is...is it gallery wrapped? can it be hung without a frame?

honestly your picture ont he easel is awful...it makes the painting look tacky...better to take the other image and "frame" it, so someone can see how it might look framed.

also what about you? you really say nothing about yourself...what makes your paintings worth $800? what galleries are you in? awards, etc? all should be on your about me page.

why would i buy your abstract over someone elses? see what i'm getting at?