PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Evening

rdwagg
12-07-2003, 02:38 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2003/25393_MysticEvening.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mystic Evening
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My second attempt at oils.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please let me know if I'm headed in the right direction and if not what do I need to do to improve.

roberj
12-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Very nice for second attempt. It has the look of the "Highwaymen" art from the southern US. If you want to get more realistic, you need to get away from the pthalo green and start experimenting with different greens, if you want to go for a more stylized approach, and move more to the primitive style, you might want to try and simplify the motif until you get used to working with the paint. Also if realism is your goal, you might want to look at a book of color theory to help you get away from white and black. Your drawing style is good and the proportions look good, there's really nothing wrong with your painting, the above comments are only valid if you are wanting to move in one of those directions. A good friend once came to see my band play, he was a member of a national act and we were nervous to hear his critique. His critique was all about how our audience reacted to us. His view was that once you know all the cords, it's all just a matter of style. The trick is to find the right people to present yourself to.

Bob

woodguy
12-08-2003, 02:49 AM
I wish that I was smart enough and wise enough to say what Bob said! Jim

artbybradgreek
12-08-2003, 07:36 AM
excellent advise from Bob there. the image is sorta blurry to my screen. So having trouble really trying to determain what the painting has in the middle ground. And the trees are blending together and at the same hiegth.

I agree with the comments about the colors and remember with oils. ... thin paint sticks to thick paint , may help from everything blending together. keep up the work... I do both oils and acrylics and like them both the same. Brad