PDA

View Full Version : Artists Buying Art ...

dd50
12-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Hiya,

I've been browsing Ebay ... and found myself really liking the style and art of a few artists there... and got to thinking how many artists actually buy art from other artists?

Are you attracted to art similar to what you do, or something entirely different? I found myself drawn to 'like' art ..... perhaps in admiration of what I'd like to become and the skills I'd like to improve on. Also I think I'm drawn to like art because I feel I share a connection with the artist ... as in knowing what they're trying to express.

What about you, do you buy art .. and if so, like art ... or different, or both?

Are you willing to spend large amounts of money if you have it, or do you try to keep your purchases to a minimum?

One more question: What about colors and style for your home?
Do you tend to 'create' one way and 'design' your home another, or do you design the same way you create?

Just curious ...
Dee

TeAnne
12-07-2003, 08:00 AM
hmmmmmmm Good questions.

I have white washed walls at the moment. So, I'm not sure of the colours I want yet.

I can't afford other peoples art. There is many styles I like, from realism to abstract.
I do swap with other WC members due to the payment thingy (I don't do paypal cos they don't want to know me) So it is easier to swap.

JoyJoyJoy
12-07-2003, 10:19 AM
I have bought a few small pieces from other artists, and also have a wonderful group of paintings that were gifts from other artists I have met in my life travels.

Honestly, I would buy more, and larger (always seeing pieces I like), but my house already looks like an disorganized and overcrowded gallery with my own paintings. All my walls and carpets are cream color. Favorite paintings on every available wall space, as well as: stacked on the floor leaning against walls, covering the mantle (2 deep), behind the sofa, on the bureaus, in the bookcases, in closets and hall corners, and about 30 in the basement. My studio also has a peg-board wall of hanging paintings, a bookcase of finished paintings stored on their sides in boxes, and stacks up to 8 canvases deep.

Decorating around this house means moving the paintings from room to room, depending on what is wet, sold, or in progress and needs to be in different lighting so I can see what needs to be changed. Well, that's what happens after 40 years of oil painting and a small house!

Nance

lyn lynch
12-07-2003, 11:01 AM
I like color so all of my walls are painted color, even the light brown I use as good undertones of pink. I don't use my home as a gallery, so to me it doesn't matter.

I have an ecclectic mix of paintings, like everything else in my house. If I like it, it's mine.

I have many that were given as gifts by my painter friends, and one I bought as inspiration when I worked mixed media.

Since finding WC! if I buy art, I buy from a WC! member.

pampe
12-07-2003, 12:51 PM
I too mainly buy from WC members......not very often but I would if I had more disposable income

I NEVER buy to match anything....I buy because I love the piece

idahogirl
12-07-2003, 01:34 PM
I have bought a few pieces from WC artists. They have been different than my style. Wish I had room and a budget for more..

(the other) Dee

matmad
12-07-2003, 01:40 PM
I bought a couple of Nina's portraits recently, which I love, and it was because they grabbed me immediately.

I would probably buy more art except my husband kicks up a fuss about me selling my work and then spending the money on someone else's.

Guess I'll just have to hide the next one!

Julie

madmum
12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
I bought one of Nina's trees for my daughter because she loved it. Top secret, I'm bidding on another one and if I win and it arrives before Christmas, it'll be a surprise present for Amy :)

I have bid on other WC'ers auctions but can never bid enough to win or reach reserve :( Maybe in a year I'll have a bit more disposable income for art!

And I bought Nandie's portrait of my youngest daughter (but she wouldn't accept a good price for it)

I'm usually attracted to watercolours, but usually in a style different to my own. I especially love the loose, wet in wet style of Alisa, and the colourful work Pam does. Both out of my price range!

My house is decorated with colour, warm terracotta and saffron in the lounge, yellow and blue/green in the hall, mint green in the bathroom, blues and amethyst colourwashed in the girls room, blue and green in my sons room, and my room is waiting to be decorated in lilacs and cream. :D Oh, I missed the kitchen, which is a soft cream base with a light orange colourwash!

Ruth

blondheim12
12-07-2003, 04:45 PM
I have been collecting landscapes by other artists for a number of years. I try to buy a painting at least once a year.
Love,
Linda

tmcclary
12-07-2003, 04:47 PM
I buy art, but not usually paintings. Like Nance, there is no more room on my walls:) I do buy three diminesional pieces, and pieces that could be considered artistic crafts (woodburned work, original jewelry, glass peices). I buy work in mediums I don't work in. I also tend to buy mostly at auctionwitch.com, because I have many dear friends there. I did bid on a painting on ebay last week. It was a watercolor and ink goddess that was quite different than my own work, but I really liked it. I never got an outbid notice from ebay (grumble), so I didn't know that I had been outbid until too late. I probably could have gone a little higher too:(

My house is pretty neutral. White walls, except the living room and dining room that have a shared wall done in grass matt wallpaper (not sure if that is what it is called). We have only lived here a year and a half. The walls are still the way they were when we moved in. My paintings tend to be bold colors so the white walls set them off nicely. We have a lot of wood flooring. Family room has a large off white berber area rug, the rest of the carpets are beige. There is a lot of natural wood trim and two large fireplace hearths. So the white walls get broken up. Paintings are constantly moving around as they are sold. I try to keep specific places for hanging a certain size and that is it. three different paintings can end up in the same spot in a month.

timelady
12-07-2003, 05:48 PM
I buy quite a lot of art I think. About half a dozen pieces a year. I do own a couple WC! artists' pieces. Never bought art on eBay though, but I have bought the 2 WC artists and the most expensive piece in my collection only having seen the images onscreen. ($800 was the most expensive, a photograph) I have tried to buy on eBay when I'm in the mood but I prefer to browse art rather than having something in mind, even a style, and there's just too much rubbish to wade through on eBay in art categories. :(

In fact, yesterday I bought a new ceramic piece at an open studio. :D It's huge and really heavy! (not expensive though, whew!) No idea where it will go... on the floor somewhere. Usually if I sell something expensive I like to buy something little from another artist. Just my own little policy.

I tend to buy things very different from my own style.

Tina.

tmcclary
12-08-2003, 01:12 AM
I also try to buy something from another artist when I sell something significant.

dd50
12-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Hi all!

TeAnne, Do you mean by 'whitewash' very lightly washed in white? That sounds cool! I hear ya in not being able to afford it, I would love a few pieces myself ... but for now I have to stick with my own ... or perhaps a miniature here and there. :)

Nance, Wow! You sure do have ALLOT of paintings in your life! LOL!! I can see why you have no room for anymore! It's nice to receive them as gifts ...

Fookie, That's how I'd do it too I think ... from a WC member, unless I fell in love with something else. Your walls sound lovely .... lots of color .. and eclectic is close to what I like too.

Pam, That makes sense to buy it because you love it.

Dee Hi to the other Dee! :D It's nice to see we're keeping it between us here at WC! So are you EVER attracted to 'like' paintings (styles)?

Julie, Hiding the paintings huh? LOL .... MEN! :rolleyes:
That's nice that you bought from Nina, she does have lovely pieces! I hear ya about earning on your own then spending on another. LOL!

Ruth, Your colors sound SO inviting and comfortable! I especially like terracotta! I still find it interesting that you also find a different watercolor style attractive.

Linda, Sounds like you're an avid collector! It's nice that you do this .... it helps all around, and I'm sure you have a lovely collection. :)

Vega, Never heard of auctionwitch, I'll have to take a look. I also like 'other' works of art .. including sculpture, I also enjoy creating it ... but if I had the income I'd love to buy it too! Your fireplace hearths sound so inviting and warm! :)

Tina, Woah ... big purchase there ... $800! It would be cool to be able to do that at least ONCE in your life! :)

I hear ya about wading through Ebay ... it can be exhausting and frustrating! The ceramic piece sounds cool .. I LOVE earthy ceramics and pots. I also like your 'policy' very much ... I think if I ever sold an expensive piece, I'd like to do the same.

NOTE: I find it VERY interesting that those who mentioned it, seemed to be drawn to or attracted to 'different' styles than there own. I seem to love pieces (both art and sculpture) that reflect my style ... which is whimsical and fun. I wonder why that is?

Also, actually what I meant ... by asking about the colors in your home, in comparing the art you buy, was, does your 'style' in your home (modern, country, etc.) reflect the type of art you buy, (abstract, flowers, etc.).

Thanks for all the responses!
Hugs,
Dee

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by dd50
Hi all!

TeAnne, Do you mean by 'whitewash' very lightly washed in white? That sounds cool! I hear ya in not being able to afford it, I would love a few pieces myself ... but for now I have to stick with my own ... or perhaps a miniature here and there. :)

Dee

The house is only 4 months old and they don't paint them, they plasted and put a white wash over them. Not to paint until after 6 months due to a house 'settling' time eg, movement and cracks. They fix the cracks then we are allowed to paint.

tmcclary
12-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Also, actually what I meant ... by asking about the colors in your home, in comparing the art you buy, was, does your 'style' in your home (modern, country, etc.) reflect the type of art you buy, (abstract, flowers, etc.).

I think it all comes together in a consistent eclectic style (probably an oxymoron). There are no pastels in my home:) While the work I buy is generally a different medium, I wouldn't say that it is a different style. I am a sucker for anything celestial. DH is a sucker for Asian influenced stuff. Neither of us can resist a cool oil burner or candle holder. One of my summer purchases was an amazing oil burner made by a local artist in hand blown glass. The style is totally "me", but it is not something I would ever make myself.

timelady
12-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Funny about the 2D/3D thing! I'm actually teh opposite - I don't have shelves and things for 3D work, they just end up surrounded by clutter (I only live in a studio flat). I love ceramics and enamals but can't usually get them. Fortunately I found a enamal set of wall 'paintings' that I love. Also a sculpture sort of thing that can hang on a hook. I jkust keep buying wall things. The ceramic I bought this week end was a big vessel made by a good friend. It's huge so there's no excues for it not to be on the floor really! She intends most of them to go outdoors so my floor will have to do - I don't have any yard space.?

Buying other stuff doesn't have to be big either. I sold a really large painting at my open studios so a friend was buying 2 little paintings as part of a trade and I told her to take 3 because she couldn't choose. And another girl knits things so I bought a new hot water bottle cover for 10. It's just a little bit but it's nice to share. I still can't afford too much because all my big sales are paying off the credit cards. :D

Tina.

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 04:48 PM
I want to win lotto and buy a great big house with lots of wall and floor space. Then I'll go and buy beautiful sculptures for inside and outside. Then I'll buy all my favourite art from you here at WC and at least one from my friend Daniele.

Until then my little tiny flat is overflowing (literally - some is now out on the verandah) with my own paintings. I do have a little shelf space that's waiting for a very special gargoyle however :)

fractalfingers
12-08-2003, 08:15 PM
I have works from 3 WC artists. I didn't buy any of them, they were either trades or gifts. Although I did offer to buy one and was asked for a trade instead. There are at least 5-6 other artists here who's work I would like. perhaps in time.

Alan Cross
12-09-2003, 01:36 AM
I have paintings from several artists I like.....I can't only have mine lol....
Alan :)

jolie
12-09-2003, 06:41 AM
I don't have any artwork from other artists, but have now started setting aside a small amount from each sale to go toward the purchase of a painting from Ann Baldwin, my biggest influence. When I first started painting, it was her work that inspired me to want to practice and get better. When I had no clue what I was doing, it was her generosity in sharing tips on her website and forum that guided me. When I found my own style, it was her encouraging words that helped me decide I was ready to look for a market to sell in. It's only fitting that the first piece of original work I buy comes from an artist that I respect and admire so much.

At this point, my house is spilling over with my own work, but as I begin to sell more consistently, I hope to contain more of it in my studio and gradually start replacing my own work in the main living areas with some WC artists that I admire. That are several people here whose work I love and I also like the idea of purchasing from fellow artists who are sharing my journey with me (and sharing theirs) through Wetcanvas.

Jolie

fractalfingers
12-10-2003, 12:38 AM
puting money aside is a good idea and can be a good investment too. I put $20 a month into an account specifically for collecting art. I also put a portion of any work of my own or other artists I sell into the account. Gives me enough money to buy a fairly good $100 work every 3 months or so, and I don't even notice $20. I limit myself to what I have in my account, so if I get giddy and spend all the money, that means when a I find a real important work, I have no money... So it also helps me set priorities for the art I buy.. If I want that $400 Juvonen woodcut, I can't be buying to many $30 paintings by joe joe..

It's all realative, you can collect off of $5 a month if you must, or if you have more means, go for $100. PS. If you have lots and lots of money, you should not put aside money at all.. but buy several dozen of my paintings outright..

JoyJoyJoy
12-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by fractalfingers
puting money aside is a good idea and can be a good investment too. I put $20 a month into an account specifically for collecting art.

Thanks for that idea! I think I will work that into my budget. (Now, if I can just find wall space to do justice to a nice artwork.... hahaha! I am now shuffling stuff aroud my living bedroom walls to put up a piece by Arlene.)

Originally posted by fractalfingers
If you have lots and lots of money, you should not put aside money at all.. but buy several dozen of my paintings outright..

HAHAHA... GOOD ONE! Will let you know when I win the lottery.

Nance

CathyD
12-10-2003, 01:39 PM
I like the monthly budget idea, thanks, fractalfingers! Gosh, we have so many talented people here, and there has been some lovely pieces that have been very affordable. I am thinking it might be a good idea to buy now before they get rich and famous! I have watched artists too many times that start out with lower prices, and now they are commanding very good prices and I always kick myself that I didn't buy something when it was in my humble price range.

Talking about showcasing your art in your home, this past summer I went to a home show by local builders. One of the homes was built for a sculptor, and when you walked in the door there was an extra wide hallway. To the right was a gallery that was open to the hallway. In it was his sculptures and his collection of paintings. It was a house to die for, the whole place was dedicated to beauty by showcasing nature thru the windows and art on the walls as well as the artist's sculptures. He also had lovely patios around the house with more sculpture. I think you would love it Eliza!!!

Cathy

ElizaLeahy
12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Draw me a floor plan so that when I win the lottery I can build it :)

We didn't win 30 million last night, but there is another 30 million one just after Christmas :)

You never know!

nanabanana
12-11-2003, 03:05 AM
I love looking at other artists work, I've bought art by other artists as well, what kind? I buy what I admire and hope to one day achieve. mostly it's art that i admire, like and not like my own (ex: I love oil paintings, carvings, sculture, just so happen I cannot do any of those) sometimes it's artstyle similar to mine BUT then it's more advanced, and technically skilled. If I have the money then I buy what moves me: if i'm drawn to that piece well then ... I want to own it.

Display space: none, My bare walls are painted white, usually stuck with my "very important" post it notes. I store paintings / art i buy and waiting for the day I get my own space and then i'll hang everything up.

I don't hang my own pieces, but store them instead, as I know what they look like and *shrug* and the longer I look at them the more I see errors / improvements needed and how amaturish it is. Sigh it's watercolor painting so there's nothing I can do about that except paint something new. suprisingly my dad displays in his room my throw away paintings. these are ones I think are so bad I've thrown them in the trash can.

ok thanks for reading! that was my tidbid on buying from other artists! one day I hope to be as good you all. wow you're all so so talented! I'm taking drawing 101 in spring2004 :) a little education for the self taught

dd50
12-11-2003, 05:53 AM
First .... I love the idea of a savings plan to purchase art! :)

It's a great idea .. and I think when I'm on my own and settled down, that's exactly what I'll do! I SO think we should support each other here!

I saw a 'home decor' show last night, and the couple had a really nice house (BIG) and bought all kinds of art (2D and 3D) and displayed it all over their home .. they built shelves to hold the small sculptures, and would rotate the wall art every so many months. It was beautiful and they purchased allot of art, so they were really helping promote artists all over!

I truly believe it would be great if we could all 'save' just a bit aside to purchase art from each other here at WC! And I agree with what Cathy said about buying from each other NOW, before we get famous. :D

HEY ... you never know, and it would be great to have one or two pieces when we DO become better known. POSITIVE thinking guys!

Nivinne, I feel how you feel about art ... I seem to be drawn to the art that I admire, and hope to achieve one day too. And yes, it seems to be more advanced and the artist more technically skilled. Guess that's a good thing ... cause it keeps us aimed at doing our best. :)

Thanks for such a great response guys!
Hugs,
Dee