PDA

View Full Version : The First Giant

Cabal
12-07-2003, 08:05 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2003/2995_First_Giant.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2003/2995_Portrait_of_GIant.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-07-2003/2995_Quietly_Past_Giants.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The First Giant
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 1200 x 400 pixels?
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is one of three giants locked in suspended animation. Each one represents a frozen action. This one is frozen in war and revenge. I used a photograph of a strangled woman and on photoshop, layered onto it with pieces of bone and cloth.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback is welcome.

HRobinson
12-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Solemn yet decadent. Many of your works (such as this) cause a soul-searching of sorts and are somewhat abrupt in theirappeal. The similarities to Michangelo's work at the Cistine come to mind and there is a flux of emotions brought to bear. I am unwilling to ask why on this one, Cabal... but that's not a bad thing.

-Harry

giniaad
12-07-2003, 05:23 PM
the tormented human journey
no on does it like you
imaginative depictions
done with a reverence

about all the irreverences

a walk down hell's hallway
never looked so inviting

Decadent Dream
12-08-2003, 08:41 AM
I felt I had to comment on this because it verges on imagery I have always admired as in the work of Dave McKean ( Sandman Graphic Novel Covers ) My love of ancient architecture can often be a statement of decay in itself without having to distort its traditional forms but allowing to show its ruin over time.. more subtle approaches to beauty and its ageing or rotting value I find may relate to the viewer rather than a total distortion..or an overlay of distortion & pain upon an image you are trying to convey..because I am unsure of what I want to find in such artwork its hard to explain what can make imagery such as yours powerful and relative.. that is not a slur its more of a thought process I am working on myself :) I believe its the way I wish to go in painting, to provide unique cult images with many angles that relate to our modern society & thought.. so..I find this piece inspiring yet still confusing.. I do like it though :) although it lacks a depth..a story... maybe using symbolism can bring such images into the realms of cult credibility even if those symbols are not readily understood by the casual viewer. I apologise if I am being too critical especially if this piece has worked in most aspects for you.. the reason for my comments are deep because your work relates to the expression I want to exceed in, the paintings I have recently began & completed are just technique stepping stones into an awareness and confidence to then portray the cynical thoughts within me :) The use of classical compositions could also help in your favour.. keep up the thought inspiring work :)

Graeme

xvallarta
12-08-2003, 10:12 AM
I think you did a good job of capturing an idea. I think the piece needs a title that explains what the idea is...for without that it can be problem for the viewer. Sheep need to be led.

The mediam you used I find a problem with. It looks like a photo. I believe it needs to be colorized even if the prevailing color is grey. Since you have a grey image it would be easy to glaze this rendering and perhaps the addition of color tones would add to the viewers interest.

myles

Cabal
12-09-2003, 06:10 AM
THanks for the great responses. This image is still missing some key compositional elements. For example there will be a parade of deformed characters passing along the foreground. One is being pushed in a wheelchair by a tall mutated figure. The difficulty for me lies in depicting those characters as frightened. That is because the entire concept for this picture was to have a group of individuals who are forced into passing thru a hallway with these scary giants frozen along the wall.

I came up with the idea of each giant being trapped in an action and emotional/mental state related to that action. The first is trapped in the action of war with the mind of revenge, the second is trapped in the action of suicide with the mind of depression. The third is trapped in murder with the mind of insanity.

The title of this picture once it's finished will be "Quietly Past Giants". And I understand that color could benefit these pictures in portraying a more lifelike and vivid scene. However I feel there is something about the lack of color that unifies this series of images. Like watching an old episode of Twlight Zone or Outer Limits, the black and white puts this certain ancient peculiarity to the work. I do plan on investigating full on color scenes in the future however.
There will be no less then 60 different pictures depicting different cities, landscapes, gods, minions, wars, oddities, monuments, etc of this very specific fictional world I'm creating here. I believe when viewed together as a whole each one will gain strength from the other and they will function as pages of a storybook. Each one will further your knowledge and widen the scope of this secret imaginary place from my mind.

Decadent Dream
12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
I look forward to seeing this epic tale Cabal :) I forgot to add a link to a photographic Gallery I found last week I thought you might find it useful for reference.. the art & architecture section is vast and I find excellent for background scenes and texture... just register, its free and the images are very large..

http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml

Graeme

Cabal
12-10-2003, 06:58 AM
Thanks a lot for the link to the photo reference site. I've found some very useful imagery in there.