GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: After Who? WIP
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Well my fascination with lighthouses continues...and I am borrowing from Hopper.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have been working on this for about 1.5 hours. Everything you see here has been done with just (yikes) lots of mineral spirits, raw sienna, burnt sienna, raw umber, U blue, Cobalt blue and T white. Quick and sloppy....trying to establish composition, design and pattern....I am working from a black and white photo, so I really do not have a clue as to where this is going to go. Intuition and feeling, as always, takes me through the process. But then you all help as well...so, any ideas or suggestions? And I really miss my Dawg at my feet.

pero lane
12-07-2003, 12:50 PM
You called this quick and sloppy...no evidence of that here!! Nice work!! :)
Feel for you about your dog..would be lost without mine.:crying: Take care!

giniaad
12-07-2003, 03:31 PM
love how this painting is progressing...
(and the other lighthouse painting too)
composition is grand...
your coloring will be wonderful, as already evident.
you sure are getting prolific...

we have a "Shadow" who is probably near his end
getting old and weak...
there is a hill where our pets "end up"
if they care to stick around near the end.
some have "gone off",
as they will do sometimes, here in the country.
anyway, sorry...I understand.

pups are grand...(they do help ease the loss.)
(there are plenty who need a loving home too)
best of luck...

roberj
12-07-2003, 04:10 PM
MORE, I'm wanting to start some more lighthouses too. My last one sold for my personal record on eBay. I won't embarass myself by admitting how low the record is. I like Hopper and I like the direction you are taking these.

Bob

mattlart
12-07-2003, 08:16 PM
LOL,.........

Your speed and confident painting these days is truly amazing, Jim.

I'm sure that painting is very good therapy right now.

The block-in is superb.
Looking forward eagerly to seeing this progress.

I admire all of what you are doing today.

Best Wishes to you,-Scott

michael forster
12-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Nice structure, forms- your'e off to a great start ! I really like the "loose" but I know what I'm doing to the shapes.

woodguy
12-07-2003, 11:24 PM
I have spent about a 1.5 hours on this tonight....this , for me, is the tough part....the middle stage, and usually takes the longest. Especially on these "larger paintings" 25 x 36. I think that I have at least another 1-2 hours to get it to the point where I can do my final "flourishes." The shadows will be a little cooler, the sky more interesting and the details more defined....I hope!

Thanks, Pat! My starts really are quick, sloppy, soupy and running. But I am now at that stage where I am trying to bring it all together. That is the hard part!

Thanks Giniaad for your comments about the painting and about Shadow(s)....not quite ready for a new one...but!

Thanks, Bob, for the nice comments, and congrats on the "record!" Paint more lighthouses and keep breaking records!

Thanks, Scott! For everything you said.....and said in our e-mails! I appreciate your comments, concern and your friendship!

Thanks, Michael! Starts are easy, I just hope that I can pull this one off at the finnish line.

Thanks again to all for your kind comments. Jim

artinoils
12-08-2003, 04:24 AM
Enjoying the progress shots...looking good. Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog.

artbybradgreek
12-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Looking great Jim!!
I too like to get that canvas covered as quick as possible then slow down into the final stages. Is this going to be moonlit or morning...trying to determain. Looks like it can go either way right now, I've done a painting that I still can say if it's night or day LOL So I leave it up to the viewer LOL .

I've got to get a digital camera and try a wip. LOL Brad

Rabbit Twilight
12-08-2003, 10:44 AM
All I can say is, Wow!

Gilberte
12-08-2003, 02:45 PM
I appreciate your demo ..........

woodguy
12-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Well, I got through the "middle stage," and am now starting to tighten things up a bit. A little detail here and there and some glazing on the foreground and I believe this one will be done.

Thank you, Susan!

Thank you, Brad! Tried to make this early AM.

Thanks Bobbi for the WOW!

Thank you, Gilberte! I haven't added much dialogue about what has been happening, but I think the photos pretty much tell the story! I left out all of the pacing around between brush strokes and gymnastics of going out of the studio and trying to peek around doors to get a far away view!

coulter
12-08-2003, 09:26 PM
LOL! The second one from the top looks very Charles Addamsish! the most recent looks wonderful Jim. How can something so asture still look so warm and inviting! and curiously American..... Great work Jim!!

Mark

giniaad
12-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Geese Louis! This is really lookin' GOOD!

love the sky subtleties going on here
the building structure and coloring are
all coming into chorus...

yeah, the pacing and looking...I can relate!

you sure are something!
you make it look so simple
that is a sign of a true master
great going!!
no nits or watching out for anything ...you have the handle!

woodguy
12-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Did a little clean up...not much else...but felt that I had reached the point where I thought that this was done. Still not sure about the foreground after the changes but will leave well enough alone for now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. These lighthouses's feel good!

Thanks, Mark! Oh, and Deanna has some "Pern" stuff for Marcia!

Thanks, Giniaad! Hope the old guy wandering the hills is doing well. And hope that I found the "handle" on this one.

Thanks, Jim

woodguy
12-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Disregard the white "hotspots"....wet paint on the right.

soap
12-09-2003, 02:38 AM
Love it. So much mood, light atmosphere. Would definitely want to look at his at a daily basis. Great work.

giniaad
12-09-2003, 10:06 AM
(hey Jim, come in, come in...)
Love it!!

and the hits just keep comin'!!

mcknight
12-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Nice work! The geometry and colour relations are captivating.

artbabe21
12-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the progress pics along the way--this is fabulous! :)

sorry about your dog...:( they are such parts of our lives

Mario
12-09-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi Woodguy...I saw your post in " on your easel "... Really interesting WIP..I would like to know what you think is the reason that the sky sits so nicely behind and in the distance...I notice that it seems to really sit back after the whites were lightened on the house...do you think that this is what helped do it? Anything else?? many thanks..:angel: :evil:

woodguy
12-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks, Mario! I appreciate you coming over to look and comment. Yes, the brighter white helped, but I think that it was more the addition of the burnt sienna in the roof tops that helped to create this distance. Recently there was a thread in "Oils" about the relationship between B Sienna and U Blue. Everybody was talking about what wonderful greys could be made, but if you play them against each other correctly you can create amazing effects...like what you are observing here. The B Sienna pushes the U Blue back....then to the blue you add some T White to help with softening for atmospheric perspective...and some Naples yellow to the B Sienna to counteract. At least that is how it feels to me. I am not a technical painter....I just paint what feels right, sometimes I get it, sometime I don't! Jim

Gilberte
12-10-2003, 03:38 AM
I am not a technical painter....I just paint what feels right, sometimes I get it, sometime I don't! Jim

I quoted Jim !

Very very much like my way of painting Jim.

Wayne Gaudon
12-10-2003, 08:14 AM
nicely done Jim
.. don't know if it's a concern of yours but the perspective is off on this one piece ..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Dec-2003/5946-hop.jpg

Rabbit Twilight
12-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Really great!

Helen Zapata
12-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Coming in late has it's advantages... I got to see it all at once!

Swoosh... it went straight into my Woodguy folder. I love it. You held your charm (I always thought you were a charming guy ;) ) and the light is wonderful.

Those last details really made the work! I bet it was hard to hold off on adding those.

Perspective? I say, "Screw the perspective!" :evil:

It's grand. :)

Helen

woodguy
12-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Thanks you, Gilberte!

Thanks, Wayne! You are right about the perspective....didn't really see it until I posted it...but immediately changed it. Sometimes that does not bother me, but in this case it interrupted the eave line which started on the left. I wanted the eye to move effortlessly across the painting so I made the change.

Thank you, Bobbi!

Thank you, Helen! You are very kind and always supportive...I do appreciate you coming by and commenting. I wanted to do the detail work right away, but held off to the end...I get impatient!

Thanks,all Jim

Wayne Gaudon
12-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Perspective? I say, "Screw the perspective!"

Some don't. :D

You are right in the correction Jim as celing has to follow the same parallel as the floor and the the windows have to follow along the same parallel line as the floor and celing; unless of course the building is falling down and your building is stately and grand. :D

Later.

Wayne Gaudon
12-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Perspective? I say, "Screw the perspective!"

Some don't. :D

You are right in the correction Jim as celing has to follow the same parallel as the floor and the the windows have to follow along the same parallel line as the floor and celing; unless of course the building is falling down and your building is stately and grand. :D

Later.