PDA

View Full Version : Peaches.Still life in progress.

YLCIA
07-24-2001, 04:48 PM
This is work in the progress. The painting has more yellow in it then photo shows. acrylic over the canvas 20"by 16".

What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/523b.jpg

jerryW
07-24-2001, 05:52 PM
the way the picture is now, your painting appears to be no larger than the bowl of fruit which you have painted very well.

however, if the foliage were admired more closely in your work and developped to rival the peaches - it would be a better painting.

Also the cloth is a great potential area for more development.
Soon a wonderful concert of little cooperative details and color complexes can coalesce into movement and thrusts of energy through the painting, which will be moving while still. Interesting beyond the little objects depicted.

some people feel you need a focal point.
maybe.

simon levenson, however, to the greatest degree, and me too and many others often have no particular object to say it is a painting of this or that object.

great paintings are just themselves.

The objects are side-effects of the painting working.

The painting itself can be a jewel.
keep polishing the jewel, forget the bowl of fruit you are past that now.

Fagan
07-24-2001, 06:20 PM
I think you have a wonderful start here Julia! If I were painting this picture I would have one peach out on the cloth or maybe one whole and one peach open? I would also lighten the peaches in the bowl a little. Maybe the scan is too dark? Anyway...Jerry pretty well said it all. *SMILE*

YLCIA
07-24-2001, 06:37 PM
Thank You very much Jerry! I got to the point with this painting that I feel it is needed something more but I could not put my finger at it. I will try to develop it into more then "the bowl of peaches" :) I was thinking of puting a small branch with maybe 3 or 5 leaves on the cloth but then I thought that maybe it will make it busy?...Your comments always a good lesson.

Fagan, Thank you for viewing and suggestion, I may try that instead of the leaves I was thinking. Actually the painting is much lighter and has more yellow in everything. I took the picture outside so I would not have the glare but it made it quite darker.

Well, thank you both again!:)

jerryW
07-24-2001, 07:51 PM
If this is a still life, you should not add anything.
look into it and unearth what is happenning in the texture of the exiting fabric of your vision. That is worth looking at.
objects and such materialism is not worthy of your work
too trivial. I'd rather you just added random brush strokes, and work with them being just right.
an underlying gesture -even better!
some color dance - yes;
objects, well we all have cameras, the objects are dust in comparison with what a painting can be.

YLCIA
07-24-2001, 08:42 PM
Jerry, thank you! I got your point, belive me. I just sometimes confused of what I would be able to do or express and what I am not . And also I am chikenning out to express some of my ideas due to my short experience in painting. When I see yours or Dornberg's works I just go: wow!! I wish I... :) I just love the richness of the colors so much that I want to embrace them all at once:evil: :)

Thank you, again

dornberg
07-24-2001, 10:14 PM
this is a unique and great composition
the fruit sits on an angle in the upper portion
the cloth continues down and off
one edge of the cloth counters the primary angle
the cloth relates in colr to the white dish
it also relates with its greenish cast to the background color

whats nice is that all of these are important
and the fruit,
which is usually so dominant,