PDA

View Full Version : New Sculpture for Critique

jhusel
07-24-2001, 03:54 PM
Ok, here is my latest "On the Runway" figurative series made from Indiana Limestone. This is the 5th piece to date and I feel one of my best ones. Let me know what you think!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/On_the_Runway_Series_5a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/On_the_Runway_Series_5.jpg

jhusel

SDavy
07-24-2001, 03:57 PM
She's beautiful- very deco- the flowing lines are spectacular, and the stone is such lovely color. (I somehow keep thinking limestone is lime colored...oops)
How big is the piece?

jhusel
07-24-2001, 04:07 PM
Thanks, the piece actually a very nice lines flowing from the top right shoulder area down through the torso to the left leg. The photos don't really show this area, it is hard to photo sculpture and show all areas unfortunately. Hopefully, I will be able to make QTVRs soon with the help of one of my friends.

Thanks for the compliments! The piece is 12.5" X 8" X 25"

jhusel

jerryW
07-24-2001, 07:45 PM
it looks finished and forcefully so.
i like it alot.

each artist certainly has different needs to be expressed.
my prediliction (not a govering idea or anything) is a bit more demure - noone believes me I know,

but anyway

I would not have done so much behind the head,
I would have cut it very tight to the intersection of neck and let the shoulders sweep forward .

people will stare anyway
the figure does not need to demand space merely isinuate its ability to command it.

dornberg
07-24-2001, 10:28 PM
nicely curved backside
nice rhythm set up in bottom
can't tell what view of front and back would do

sandge
07-29-2001, 07:45 AM
I like the simplification of the lines and stylized gestures - especially the placement of the head and curve of the back.

The one area I think doesn't quite fit with this simplicity is the repeated curves and diagonals that come forward in a triangle towards the base at the front. It seems an unnecessary complication and doesn't convince in suggesting the movement of a skirt (IMHO).

Having said that, I am being picky and this is a wonderful piece of work. :D