PDA

View Full Version : sailing the gulf

ftb
07-24-2001, 03:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2001/sailing_the_gulf.jpg
watercolor 18x24
This is a little ocean picture I did, there are two sail boats out there one is coming strait on and one is showing sideways with no sails up there's no wind today so they have to power sail..

Fagan
07-24-2001, 06:26 PM
OOOH I love this! there is something about this painting that is very appealing. The sky is great and so is your water. I would like maybe to have seen the boats a little larger. Great job!!

henrik
07-24-2001, 07:31 PM
Looks great!
I do however find the gray band at the bottom distracting - it is IMO too separated from the rest. I would consider cropping it. The other options would be to cool down the warmer gray band, and/or put some warmer color into the sky and sea.

I tried the cooling/warming out in my image editing program to see what it looks like - I can post the altered image if you like. The cropping is easy to imagine without an altered image...

jerryW
07-24-2001, 07:39 PM
I think it is very hard to make something like this work let alone work so well.
an absolute horizontal by varying linewidth, a simple variegation in the clouds, graduated brightness in water, and a foggy notion of sand on a beach or rise.
cool

ftb
07-24-2001, 08:37 PM
I tried the cooling/warming out in my image editing program to see what it looks like - I can post the altered image if you like. The cropping is easy to imagine without an altered image... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes! I would love to see what you have done with it..

giniaad
07-24-2001, 08:44 PM
simple, yet intriguing...
nicely done...
soothing...

ginia

henrik
07-24-2001, 09:39 PM
ok, here is the altered image - I did perhaps take it a bit too far. Now the warm gray at the bottom is really subtle. There is some in the water - sort of leading towards the boats, and then some in the sky , more down towards the horizon.

ptantono
07-25-2001, 08:57 AM
Beautiful colour. I like the sky and I may see the colour of the sea is gradually darker to the middle. I like the one after being edited by Henrik. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Watercolor is not my best, but I will never give up to try it again ;) .

Patricia :angel:

Chuck
07-25-2001, 09:31 AM
Nice painting! I agree with Henrik’s changes that add to the vastness of the sea.

ftb
07-25-2001, 01:06 PM
Thank you henrik! I see the changes and it does make a difference I will try to add to the original...

Impulse
07-25-2001, 10:53 PM
I'd really like to see more and darker of the grey
it grounds the painting for me and gives the bottom
strength

the blue without frontiers runs my eye right off the page
never to come back

this is a hard subject to please
i really admire what you have done with it

Pen
07-26-2001, 01:36 AM
No waves in the gulf? Why is the horizon line so black? It grabs my eyes and won't let go! I like your sky very much.