PDA

View Full Version : so what's wrong with this... can you help me fix it?

kiwicockatoo
12-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Since we've been talking a lot about nudes..... Here's one I had a while ago, didn't sell. Any opinions why? I only had it up for 9.99, not one bid!

Personally, I think the body and drape are gorgeous, but I don't like the face at all. How would I fix this? Or is it only bad luck at the time that it wouldn't sell?

And - should I put this up now, considering my acrylics are so different?

Thanks!
Brenda

ElizaLeahy
12-06-2003, 06:20 PM
It's lovely and I have no idea why it didn't sell.

What is the medium and how big is it?

kiwicockatoo
12-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks! It's watercolor - can't remember exact size but about 5x7, I think. I didn't think it was that bad!!

Wish I knew how to fix the face - fiddled with it a long time but just couldn't get it.

arteitaliana
12-06-2003, 08:47 PM
The nude is well done, including the face. but has a pin-up quality that some people may not be attracted to.

R

ElizaLeahy
12-06-2003, 09:06 PM
There is a subcategory called "pin up". Maybe if you put it there?

Elankat
12-06-2003, 09:09 PM
If you don't like the face, why not try cropping it at the nostrils? That leaves some very beautiful lips and softens the look that the hair cut and eyes give it. Viewing the full face, she looks like she is annoyed at something. I think it's an interesting look for a nude, but I can see where some people might not like it. Crop it at the nostrils and it really changes the mood of it. You could even try cropping it at the waist. That derriere and drape is absolutely exquisite, so focus the attention on it.

The great thing about selling via the internet is that you could measure the proposed crop and only crop it in your photo program. If it sells, then crop the actual piece. If it doesn't, then you still have an intact piece.

Alternately, you could try listing it as something like "Angry Goth Nude" and see who goes for it. :) Her haircut is pretty typical for one of the popular "goth" cuts.

CoolArtiste
12-06-2003, 09:36 PM
That's a smoking hot painting! I love it! I love everything about it. I'm almost tempted to buy it myself, but I don't buy art since I make art. A lot of art just doesn't sell on ebay even if it's good. The trick is to figure out what does sell and why.

kiwicockatoo
12-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Pinup, that's interesting! I never would have thought of it as a pin up style. Maybe I should list it as such! Good idea!

Leanne, what do you mean, just cut off the top? Then there wouldn't be any white space at the top. Wouldn't that look wierd?

The goth idea is good. That's what I was thinking when I did this piece. Originally, this is what I was going to put in the description:

"FAWN" - Normally Fawn likes to dress up in a goth style, with lots of dark makeup and a look that most people find intimidating. She does however have a soft side that I think I have captured quite well. "

All fictional of course, but I decided not to put this in the listing. I should have, I've found out since then that these little "stories" you put in your auction can help sell the piece. I really think like you do that she does look very goth - even though I used to wear my hair like this and I'm far from it!

Thanks Cool!

Elankat
12-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, you'd just crop the top and the bottom a bit. If you did that, you'd probably need to sell it matted.

Personally, I think she'd sell if you just get the right audience. There are a lot of people who love "goth grrrl" pin ups and nudes. You just have to reach that audience.

dd50
12-07-2003, 07:06 AM
My opinion is that she looks slightly african american.... so she may sell with that point.

Dee

TeAnne
12-07-2003, 08:28 AM
It looks great to me. Don't crop it.