PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question...... Sale or Return....

Dark_Shades
12-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Need some advise........

Someone has shown an interest in one of paintings, and would like to purchase it...... BUT, its rather pricey.... woo hoooo lol ... erm, well for me that is.... and yup its over 3.50 ;) :evil: :D
...... so they are concerned, that if they pay out this amount, and when they receive it, think its aload of rubbish lol.......

Do I offer it to them, that on receiving it, IF they dont like it they can return it to me for a full refund?

...... by the way its the Blue/Green Woodland Walk one..... Remember Theresa Green lol ...... and I thought you were all pulling my leg on receiving such lovely comments :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Dec-2003/12116-TheresaGreen.jpg

marilyn h
12-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Don't know why they would want to return it!. It is beautiful. Have faith in yourself. Go to the sales and stragegy forum and post this question. I am sure they would have some good answers.

Dark_Shades
12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Thank you Marilyn...... what a good idea.... never thought of that :) .... thanks

Deborah Secor
12-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Last year I had a mom & dad come buy a painting for daughter & son-in-law and express this concern, too. I told them they could exchange it for another painting, but not a cash refund--and that if they found nothing to their taste mom & dad could use it. (Turned out that daughter came and exchanged, AND mom & dad got one!) Anyway, I always suggest that any money they spend is spent but I'll make it good in some way with paintings, and that usually works.

I will occasionally let people take things home on approval--with a check for the total price in my hand ready to deposit if they want it--and a time limit. "If I don't hear from you by........I'll just deposit the check."

Hope this helps--and I hope you sell or have already sold it. Told you it was good! LOL
Deborah

PCool
12-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Congratulations. Your buyers are very pleased!

Dark_Shades
12-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Thanks Dee....... nope not heard from them since lol ...... but its something obviously must think about..... dis-satisfied customers, returns etc.... had not given it any thought until now

Thanks for Sharing this...... I did go into the Business forum as Marilyn suggested and read quite a few threads....... seems you should have your terms and conditions clearly stated....... alot like you use a 'credit note'.... sounds a great idea, one was saying it took a customer a year to use their credit ..... and then purchased a much more expensive painting, and was more than happy to pay the additional cost......

Im surprised actually there wasnt more comments and suggestions....... and that its not been brought up before in the forum............ we all want to sell lol ......

Is there a general guide line for terms and conditions..... a general consensus

hmmmmmm definately food for thought lol

soap
12-07-2003, 06:51 AM
I suppose I'd give them the option of a limited time period for returns. Or maybe an option to pick out something else. Make sure you don't end up paying postage costs for returns and such.

Ask in the business forum. They are usually very helpful, although I think opinions will differ.

It's all about trying to keep your clients (so they might come back and buy more) or being a good business person and don't accept hassle. Not sure on this one either. (I don't have a note on this on my website, suppose I should...:D)

bnoonan
12-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi there,
Excellent thread Dawn - it's mindful of what potentially could happen with sales of artwork. I agree with Deborah and offering an exchange of artwork as a great alternative.

Sophie, I'm not sure I'd add this to my website (if I had one). I'd be inclined to bring it up when/if it becomes an issue.
all that said, check what other artists do.

Barb

PS: Dawn - have no fear about your artwork!

CarlyHardy
12-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Selling online, this is my refund policy.

No refunds. However, the full amount of purchase will be credited toward another available painting either chosen from my website or thru another auction purchase. The painting must be returned and received in excellent condition before the credit is issued. The buyer is responsibility for all shipping costs.

Selling to local folks, I can be a bit more flexible since no shipping is involved and usually its someone I know personally. I will give a refund of the full purchase price if someone ask...however, I've never had to do it.

I've also worked out a payment plan over three months when a painting was a bit more expensive than the buyer could afford in a lump payment. I kept the painting until the payments were final. The buyer paid it off a month early! because she wanted to take it home so badly!

When you sell your work, you must think of yourself as a business! (hard for an artist, I know) But, if you want others to take purchasing your artwork seriously, then you must consider selling it seriously.

Dawn, one thing you can do is send jpg images in an 'approval' email to the buyers along with your purchase information and return policy.

carly

Dark_Shades
12-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Awww Thanks Barb.... you are too kind....... No, I continually doubt myself...... I keep saying to myself...... Who You kidding!!

Thank you so much Carly...... this is excellent!!..... what sound advise!!!..... everything you have said is so very true..... what a brilliant idea about paying in instalments too......

Thank you Dee & Carly for taking the time to share your expertise and experience....... and with regards to the emails and .jpg's

Im finding it invaluable.... as Im sure others are too

..... has anyone any thoughts or experiences in regards to commissions...... how does that fare if someone wasnt happy with the end result...... I believe a number of artists take a percentage of payment before any works have been carried out..... as for the 4 Ive recently done, they have been for co-workers, so didnt even think about any such things...... so Im trusting for payment after the work is done, and that they like it.... I felt I would much prefer they were happy with my work first.... then pay after..... if they didnt like it, possibly sell it to someone else..... and or..... put it down to experience and practise

CarlyHardy
12-08-2003, 07:39 PM
I seldom do commissions, but the few I have done, I send an email or write up a proposal for the client. It includes all specifics about the painting, size, medium, support, price, date of delivery, and any other specific items necessary. I break the price down into a non-refundable fee (usually $50 to $100 - depends on the size and final price of the painting). This is due immediately. The balance is due upon completion of the painting.

The paintings I've done thru the internet, I sent approval jpg's of a pastel sketch before beginning the actual oil painting. One client loved the pastel sketch so much that he bought it and the oil painting!

Sometimes I pay the cost of shipping when I do a commission, but that is figured into the initial price of the painting also. I don't want to lose money on shipping after putting in a lot of hours on a commission.
carly