GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Yuma Workers...for now
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x22
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have a lot of fun photos from my latest trip visiting my mom. This is one she suggested. In the morning, driving to town, she sees the workers and the truck and and the porta potties. There is a wonderful rhythm. I worked a while on this composition and got told to chuck the johns. I like them.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything you want to comment on.

NJean
12-06-2003, 12:41 AM
You bring out a refreshing, realistic portrayal in this piece.Refreshing because it shows a glorious day and hard working people. Realistic?!!!! We all have to go somewhere and better a porta potty than in the next row of weeds!!!! Keep em there.: )

leverettfinn
12-06-2003, 07:44 AM
I would leave in the "johns" too...I was curious as to why you chose to leave in so much foreground? My first reaction was there was too much....but then it seems to make the composition seem like we are observing.... but they don't know it....You've captured a glorious sunny atmosphere.

Lauren

pero lane
12-06-2003, 11:35 AM
I've seen similar scenes out in California...nice work!:)

xvallarta
12-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Very nice work. The large field in the front I would even enlarge if you did a large painting of this scene. Why? To show the endlessness of the work to be done.

About the Potties....I would move them to the right separating them from the bus. At quick glance they all seem to go together...or else change the color of the potties. But I think some separation would be better plan. You might even place them in the field.

In a large painting I suggest you move some of the well drawn characters out into the field. Gets away from the all in a line way they are shown now.

This could be the subject of a major work...and knowing your work I am sure it would be a winner.

Just this guy's opinion.

myles

HRobinson
12-06-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi DJ. I had a dream about meeting you last night and since I can't figure out what THAT was all about I'll just have to say that this is an amazing piece and is destined to add to your notoriety.

-Harry

P.S. I bite my nails.

Gilberte
12-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Wow Debra this is another side of your talent ! TALENT I mean !

djstar
12-08-2003, 12:55 PM
It is hard enough that I don't find time to sleep, now I am invading other people's dreams!!

Thanks for the supportive comments.
This has been a very interesting piece for those who saw it in person. I can't really describe why, but when they first look at it there is almost a shock. They blink and look startled. I can't describe it but something, and I don't know why or what, hits a nerve!

Can anyone explain my dedication to NEVER making standard size pictures that DON'T cost an arm and a leg to frame???
dj*

shirleyq
12-08-2003, 02:37 PM
and just why aren't you rich and famous by now? This is a wonderful painting and NOT a thing should be changed!:) :)

Ceu
12-09-2003, 12:27 AM
Where have I been, Djstar, I have been missing all this wonderful painting of your trip.
it's wonderful to see your view in paints of your trip.
Ceu:)