GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sullen
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
just playing around .. work on a portrait for a bit, scraped it back, worked on a beach scene and scraped it back, worked on this and scraped half it back and left half on and then went over the scraped half with the brush .. kind of nead effect .. half and half .. LOL

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Whatever ..

Wayne Gaudon
12-05-2003, 08:21 PM
using up scraps and still sullen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2003/5946-beach.jpg

roberj
12-05-2003, 08:57 PM
Number 2 has a nice sense of space.

Bob

wolvenp
12-06-2003, 12:12 AM
I like both. That tree is awfully nice-bold strokes, no playing around.

Toadie
12-06-2003, 09:59 AM
The rocks and tree are great in the first one and I really like the composition of the second. I guess what I would like to see is a bit more POP in them both. Maybe the water needs some sparkle.
Michelle

pero lane
12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
The colors in that tree really set this off!:)

reynolds
12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
yes i loved the first as well but it seems it fell to the mighty knife!!!

woodguy
12-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Wayne, I agree....more pop, less sullen. Jim

spookygirl
12-07-2003, 04:45 AM
I like the uncontrived, "fresh" approach to the 2nd one. Also, I like the composition of the 2nd one best. As previously mentioned, it has a really nice sense of space.

I like the colors of both. However, in the first painting, the foreground elements appear to be painted in a different technique (knife) from the background elements (brush), and the foreground and background don't seem well integrated. The techniques employed in the 2nd painting are well integrated overall.

Wayne Gaudon
12-07-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks all

I was thinking night scene when I did the first and I just couldn't get it turned .. looking at it now after a day away, I should have just tossed it LOL

The second inspired a bigger piece and it worked

Later,

spookygirl
12-07-2003, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't toss it. There are good things about the first as well. I'd just rework the background elements a bit to integrate them more into the foreground which works very well. The tree is very nicely executed, as well as the rocks at the bottom of the painting and the shore.

I love the colors :) and it does seem like a night scene -- nightfall.

artinoils
12-08-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by roberj
Number 2 has a nice sense of space.

Bob

Yes. Would like some warmth in there too.

artbybradgreek
12-08-2003, 08:08 AM
I too enjoy the 2nd one the best, the sky is really exciting and the colors are really working for this piece. The first one sounds like it over worked you with all the scrapings LOL

I'm thinking on the 1st one maybe if you darken the distant hills some, define the shore line a bit more, show some moon light reflection in the water and pop a highlight on the foreground rocks and see how that makes it look...moonlit. good luck with ..but don't trash it LOL Brad