PDA

View Full Version : CP Removal Tips

Ivyleaf
07-24-2001, 02:02 AM
Okay, I heard the rumor that a product called "un-do" would remove CP. So being the curious sort that I am, of course I had to try it out. I bought a bottle at my local fabric store, but you can also get it from Dick Blick too :)

Here's what I found out:

The stuff dries VERY fast, and it does not warp the paper I tried it on (Strathmore Bristol). It does not leave a watermark of any sort once it's dry.

Here is the method that I used:

I used scotch brand magic tape to put down on the CP area to remove first. I placed the tape with the direction of the grain on the paper. If you look real close, you can see how the paper is laid out. I laid my hand over the tape for a few seconds (This is supposed to warm the CP up, unless of course your hands are cold, then it won't work ;) ). Before you put the tape down, bend the edge over a little bit though so you have something to grab onto when you remove it. When you remove the tape, be very careful, go slowly otherwise you'll rip the paper right off.

Next, take the lid off the bottle of un-do and place it aside. Have some handi-tack ready, the next part must be done quickly! Place a few drops of the un-do on the area to remove, then very quickly use the handi-tack to pick up the CP. Don't bother to put the lid back on the un-do while you are doing this, cause it wastes valuable time!!! Keep working the handi tack until the area dries. This happens in less than 30 seconds, which is why you have to work quick. Be quick, but don't be sloppy. Remember the paper is wet, and it will tear if you rip the handi tack off too hard.

The results were excellent with this method. I tried it with Prismacolor Black Grape and Indigo Blue, with the layers being of medium value. Both spots where I tried this were taken back to 99% original white of the paper :) . "If you didn't know where you were looking, you wouldn't know it was there" kind of thing.

I did try removing it without taking the scotch tape to it first, but my handi-tack got gooped up with the CP and then I had to re-work the handi-tack too much and by the time I did that the stuff had dried. LOL.

Hope this information helps. Does anyone else have CP removal tips or tricks they'd like to share???

billyg
07-24-2001, 04:45 AM
Hey Ivy,
Sounds a good tip to know. Does the un-do have a commercial name and if you cant put it in post, e-mail me.
Billyg :D:D:D:D

Lulu
07-24-2001, 05:34 AM
Ivy, this might be another thing to put in the bag for February! :D:D - the list might grow until you have a bag marked 'For Lulu' lolol :):)
I'm working on something at the moment in c pencil, and as a learner I'm after all the tips I can get. I have found the c pencil link thread that you posted VERY helpful, thanks.
Regarding methods to remove c pencil, I have tried pressing and lifting kneadable eraser several times, and that gets off a fair bit of the colour.

PhilC
07-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Have not heard about this. Will have to get some and try it. Thanks for the tip.
PhilC

MissMouse
07-24-2001, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I used the undo with a q-tip and it blended large areas very nicely. Rub lightly. I also found that my best friend is an old fashioned typewriter eraser the kind with the little brush on top. This worked nicely on cp and bristol board, for erasing. I can't tell the brand because I have sharpened it too much but it is general use EraserStick.

Ivyleaf
07-24-2001, 12:44 PM
Billy: Oh, dear, I realize now that I spelled it wrong in my original post! It's spelled UN-DU, it's Un-du adhesive remover, you can see their webpage at http://www.un-du.com/ . Oh, better add that to the CP links page as well!!!

Lulu: I will have to get out my kneadable eraser, I haven't tried that one yet, I went straight for the handi-tack. Hmmm, will have to check regulations on it, cause it is marked flammable. Maybe I can put it in the carry-on bag ;) . Glad you find the links useful!

Phil: Oh, you're quite welcome! Seems we are all learning lots here, the more we share the more we learn!

MissMouse: Oh, the typewriter eraser! I've heard those are hard to come by, where did you find yours??? I have a click eraser and also a tuff stuff eraser, but none of the old fashioned typewriter erasers! I actually remember using those for their original intended purpose...YIKES!!!

MissMouse
07-24-2001, 02:16 PM
They are hard to come by. There is a little office store in town that has things form the 1950's still on the shelf. I just love rummaging around in that store. I even found the old paper gum tape, and get this pure red sable water color brushes that they sold me for 99 cents ! If you send me your address I would be
happy to mail you one.

PhilC
07-24-2001, 05:11 PM
Have ya'll tried useing a batter powered eraser?

Love mine makes putting in highlight easy to do.

Gotta go T-strom just rolled in
PhilC

miek37
07-24-2001, 06:53 PM
Dear Ivyleaf :clap: thanks sooo much for the Un-Du info. Don't have any other erasing tricks up my sleeve but do thank everybody for all the info. Started today to try some CP work on white! Have been working a year on black, so it feels like a whole new world. Hope the gallery likes the samples. Will know next week. Happy arting to all, keep those pencils sharp!!! Helen :cat: PS thanks for info on "back to the top!" SMART!!!

Ivyleaf
07-25-2001, 02:14 PM
MissMouse, I've sent you a PM, be on the lookout for it :)

Phil: Have not yet tried a battery powered eraser. What brand do you have???

Helen: you're welcome , anytime :) We'll all learn together :)

marylin h
07-26-2001, 09:39 AM
Baby wipes also remove CP

PhilC
07-26-2001, 10:35 AM
Ivyleaf

My batter powered eraser is a "Sakura Electric"

Got it from Dick Blicks (SP) about 4 years ago.
PhilC

Ivyleaf
07-26-2001, 03:11 PM
mha56: Do the baby wipes leave a residue of any sort on the paper? (Can you tell I don't have kids??? :) ) LOL Can you give us more information, how it works, how you learned of this technique, what effects does it have, etc.???

Phil, thanks for the info, will look into it!

TeAnne
07-28-2001, 01:11 AM
This needs stars :)

marylin h
07-28-2001, 10:02 PM
Just getting back to answering this. No there is no residue, (yellow or brown). For staining colors, there is a slight tint. You can also read this in CPSA artists tips. I actually have tried it so I know that it works. I don't know what the ingrediant is that performs this. But I do know for a fact. I think Bet Borgeson's book has this info in it or Jane Gildow.

PhilC
07-28-2001, 10:49 PM
Have a book for ya'll to check out.
"Colored Pencil Solution Book" Tips and techniques for winning results by Janie Gildow and Barbara Benedetti Newton

Lots and lots of good infromation in this book. for my 2 cents a must have, for any CP artist.
PhilC

Ivyleaf
07-30-2001, 12:42 PM
mha56: Thanks for the additional information, will have to try it out sometime!

Phil: Yes, an excellent book, I highly recommend it as well!

Ivyleaf
08-05-2001, 12:04 AM
Back up to the top you go, has anyone else got any removal tips up their sleeves??

Elankat
05-15-2002, 01:10 AM
I just found a great remover that does not seem to be dangerous at all to the paper.

The product is called Stikki Wax and it is a reusable wax adhesive. I found it at Office Max. It can be formed nicely into a small "point" and shaped. I just tried it with black laid down with heavy pressure on some Canson Mi-Teintes paper (since it's a pretty thin paper). I pressed down and pulled straight up and removed most of the color with no damage to the paper. It also worked nicely to remove an area that had about 16 layers of color ranging from cream to black.

I haven't tried Handi-tak, but the Stikki Wax works much better than a kneaded eraser, Plasti-tak, or artist's masking tape.

http://www.stikkiworks.com/products.html

Ivyleaf
05-16-2002, 02:25 AM
Wow, that sounds like a neat product, will have to check it out and see if I can find some around here!

Thanks for sharing!

:) :) :)
Ivy