PDA

View Full Version : A question about gallery wrap.....

kiwicockatoo
12-05-2003, 09:20 AM
I just purchased what I think are gallery wrapped canvasses for a really good price (3 for $10). The canvas wraps around to the back and there are no staples on the sides.

I know a lot of you sell on gallery wrap and the main advantage is that you don't have to frame them. But do you include some sort of hanging hardware? there is nothing on the backs - do people put their own hardware on? or do they just stick them on a nail?

Also I noticed the canvas is a little dented in around the edges on the front (you can see where the stretcher bars are). Is this acceptable? I've noticed this in pictures of other people's auctions but I'm such a newbie to working with canvas that I don't know if this is ok or not. The few commissions I've done on canvas I spent a long time searching in the store for the "perfect" one. I'm guessing I'm being a bit anal here.

My minis are doing well so I guess it's time to bite the bullet and try doing something a bit bigger. Wish me luck!

tonigart
12-05-2003, 09:26 AM
I do not put any hangers on the back and do not refer to hangers in my listings. (which I probably should clarify). I haven't had anyone complain that there weren't any hangers.

A couple of times I did put sawtooth hangers at the top (probably not the most professional) and the wood was so soft they fell out. The canvas seems to hang well with out hangers attached so I don't bother.
Take care,
Toni

imaginethat
12-05-2003, 09:40 AM
I thought "gallery" wrap canvas was the type with the wider edges - like 1.5 inches...and the 3/4" is "studio". That's what my canvases say on them anyway.

Dickblick.com carries canvas hangers - they are a sort of S shaped metal hanger that slips over the wooden frame and creates a repositionable sawtooth hanger for the canvas. They are about .75 each and are fabulous!

TeAnne
12-05-2003, 11:11 AM
I leave it up to the buyer. They may have a prefer way of hanging them.

In a proper gallery it is up to the painter to provide the hanging apparatus. :)

arlene
12-05-2003, 12:43 PM
i'm cheap...and my time putting them on costs too...i'd rather "waste" my time here ;)

JoyJoyJoy
12-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Kiwi,

About the "dents" in canvas... very common, but no problem. You just need to dampen the back of the stretched canvas with water, using a light sprayer or damp cloth. As the canvas dries, it pulls tighter (on the stretchers) and the dents disappear. Dents in corners can be tricky. Sometimes I have to stretch the canvas a bit more in order to get the sprays of water (or wet Q-Tip) in there. But, this has always worked for me. A few times, in order to save a canvas or when dents are pretty deep, I have wet a canvas down pretty good. However, even these very wet canvases dried nice and firm.

Nance

Antoine
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks Nance, this is helping me a great deal two. I usually stretch my own but recently bought some to save time and was very disappointed with the dents... Iím going to try this right now!

ElizaLeahy
12-05-2003, 05:20 PM
I put hanging mechanisim on the back of my paintings, except the 8 x 10's on fresco boards tht need to be framed.

I put proper gallery d-rings on either side and use very good quality plastic coated framing wire. I state in the auction that they come ready to hang. I buy the stuff bulk from my local framing shop.

pampe
12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
LOL

Eliza is way nicer than the rest of us

I add NOTHING

kiwicockatoo
12-05-2003, 06:37 PM
Ok, thanks for the info everyone!

Nance, thanks for the tip. I wet the back of the canvas and the dents went away.

timelady
12-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I don't usually add a string (with D rings) unless a painting is on the very heavy professional quality stretcher bars or unless it has a cross bar so it can't be hung on a single nail because that crossbar is in the way. Either way that means it's a very large canvas! :) Crossbars are only on things over 30" or so and I only use the heaviest stretchers when I'm stretching the piece myself. And that's only if it's so big I stretched it directly on my wall to paint.

Occassionally I have some very small canvases where there's hardly any space in the back for the customer to hang it over a nail. (Like 3"x4" deep stretched) In this case I put a single D-ring on the top center back so they can hook it on a nail. :)

Tina.

Paintbrush74
12-06-2003, 08:33 PM
I drill tiny little holes just inside the stretcher bars and screw eye hooks in. Then I attach picture wire to the hooks. The painting then hangs snugly against the wall. I let the customer know that if the painting is ever put into a heavy frame that the wire needs to come off the painting and a wire needs to go onto the frame instead. I should also tell them that once a frame goes on there, the painting will probably never again look right without a frame.

Drilling holes and attaching hardware sounds labor intensive, but it really goes quickly.