GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: WIP - Cheetah
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Paper
Dimension: Full sheet of Arches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been having such a good time with oils that this has lain quite fallow. Also, I've really been struggling with which way to go on this. This is acrylics used as watercolors, so the blotch upper right is permanent, and needs to be camouflaged, somehow.
I'm pleased with the foreground concept - pretty straight forward what I'm doing with it - but can't decide if I should go with a solid wash behind it, or some sort of detail like muted trees, savannah, etc. It's meant as a companion piece to the cougar which I've also attached.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all input, and suggestions

painter1960
12-04-2003, 11:44 PM
no suggestions only praise!!! Very beautifully done....both of them.

wolvenp
12-05-2003, 12:14 AM
The drawing and modeling are excellent. I wonder, though, if the eye of the cougar (his left) should be different, maybe darker?? Also, on the cheetah, his spots seem to end halfway down his body. Were you going to add more spots?Looks unusual to me.

Dana Design
12-05-2003, 12:19 AM
These are beautiful! Very realistic and I'm looking forward to the finish on the cheetah. The cougar is wonderful. You've done a beautiful job on these!
dana

Pheneas
12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
painter 1960: Thank you - greatly appreciated!

wolvenp: You are correct. The foreground grasses and the spots aren't done yet. It is a very laborious job (at least for me). Since the paint is acrylic and I use it as a watercolor, it stays where it's put, and the grass and spots have to be painted very painstakingly and individually. The cougar painting is framed and gone. The photo is an old one, and definitely does not show much of the detail or subtleties within. I just added it for reference on the style I want to stay with for the cheetah.

dana: thank you - I'll post it again when done.... if I can ever figure out what I'm going to do to finish it. Plus I'm really caught up in oils right now.

wm

pero lane
12-05-2003, 10:00 AM
William..you have a talent with wildlife! These are very well done!:) Dappled shadows on the cougar are excellant. I would suggest a mottled/misty/soft background for the cheetah using the colors of the foreground. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. That way center stage will be the lovely cheetah. Great job on the spots by the way...realistically blended into the fur.:clap: