PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Demonstration: Ruth in Pastels

sandge
07-23-2001, 06:46 PM
The step-by-step demo of my portrait of Ruth has been accepted! :D Although it is in the Portraiture channel, I thought I would just post a note about it here because it is done with pastels.

Here's the demo:
Portrait Demonstration: Ruth in Pastels (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles/Sandra_Fletcher/128/)

Here's the discussion thread in case you have any questions:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15081

Here's the project that the portrait was created for:
July Portrait: Ruth (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/browse_details.msql?proj_id=78)

Ohju
07-25-2001, 08:40 PM
I seen your demo and had to ask why was tracing paper used? It's ok for a beginner to use for a couple of paintings but as a pro..couldn't you just do freehand? I do all of mine by freehand, mistakes are my trademark. (must be my style)
Anyhoo, also the loose feeling is ok, but the red made it look like she's dead. (Maybe it's the scan?)
Sorry If I stepped on your toes, but being a portrait pastelist myself..it bothers me.

sandge
07-25-2001, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Ohju
It's ok for a beginner to use for a couple of paintings but as a pro...

Actually, I'd say that was the wrong way round. ;)

I was just wondering why no one had asked me about this in the portrait forum and this is the reply I got there:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=158713#post158664

Some artists would argue (and I think there is such an argument going on in another forum right now :rolleyes: ) that you shouldn't work from photos. Some would say that using a computer to do some of the work is wrong. I say why not use the technology - I think if you're gonna use a photo why not use it to it's full extent? I'm sure that if they had been available to the artists of the past many of them would have used these devices.

As for the red making her look dead - that's ok. People bring to your paintings their own interpretations based on their life experiences and prejudices. Just because you paint it with a certain thing in mind doesn't mean that's what people will see. :D

Ohju
07-26-2001, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sandrafletcher

Just because you paint it with a certain thing in mind doesn't mean that's what people will see. :D

I can relate to that. I have been using photos for quite a while. Most of my enjoyment is to make a painting from a blk and white to color, cartoonish pic to realism and a very small pic to a large painting. Yeah I know they are all tools but I get uneasy when proportions are just right and it seems like the artist is just doing a coloring book type painting...filling in the color and values. You do wonderful work, far better than I, that's for sure. I just work so hard to do my thing...without tools...(computer, grid, tracing and such) to get critisium, which lets me down. Anyhoo, I can deal with it. :D

Keep painting...I will learn more in time. thanks. ~Julie

Terry
07-29-2001, 06:54 PM
Sandra, I teach portrait with pastels, charcoal and oils.
If I have enough time, another full day I try to include working from photo. It is what a lot of people have to use to get the job done. Children especially. I have tried using Super Glue, Duct Tape and the camera seems to work best for me in those situations.
Good Job.
Terry Ludwig
:clap:

gmc
07-31-2001, 06:26 AM
Sandra,
As I have said in portrait, great demo. I agree with Terry, the use of Photos in todays busy world keeps your model in one spot long enough to view their features for measurment and characteristics.
If I didn't have photos, I would never have an opportunity for portrait practice as anyone I know is always on the go, never having enough time to sit still.
As a matter of fact, one of the greatest tools I use is placing the photo and a picture of your original work side by side in photoshop. (your suggestion, if you remember) The computer quickly shows where a porportion error is happening. The eye may spot it if you reflect in the mirror or turn your work facing the wall and leaving it there for a day or two before looking at it again, but who has the time to wait a few days before working on a piece again.
Another computer tool I use is taking a digital of my drawing, which may not be going well, load it into photoshop, print it out and make vine charcoal drawing corrections on the print out. I found this saves wear and tear on my mi-tientes paper and the frustration of ruining good paper or having to start all over again with a completely new drawing.
Again, great job on Ruth's portrait and thanks for the portrait demo. geri