PDA

View Full Version : maintaining an ebay presence

surreal
12-04-2003, 12:41 PM
I am one of the many who are receiving very few views of their work.

I have been pricing my drawings at very low prices, which I now am uncomfortable with.

I think I will wait this dismal time out by listing fewer works of art for sale at prices I can live with!

lol

I think it's important though, to not stop listing work for sale on ebay. I will always have at least 2 or 3 items up for sale.

arlene
12-04-2003, 01:32 PM
i'm listing some of my watercolors as on sale, and will put up a few of the inexpensive prints over the next couple of weeks...but not the acrylics...i'll save those for after the new year.

champagneharley
12-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by surreal
I am one of the many who are receiving very few views of their work.

I have been pricing my drawings at very low prices, which I now am uncomfortable with.

I think I will wait this dismal time out by listing fewer works of art for sale at prices I can live with!

lol

I think it's important though, to not stop listing work for sale on ebay. I will always have at least 2 or 3 items up for sale.
Thanks Nina for posting this.
I, too am uncomfortable with low prices.
I might try something totally different for me, so I can continue with a 'presence'.
Good luck!
Regards,
Jillian

Fagan
12-04-2003, 03:04 PM
I am not sure what I am going to do. I do not feel Ebay is stable at this time.

champagneharley
12-04-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Fagan
I am not sure what I am going to do. I do not feel Ebay is stable at this time.
Ebay was never really stable. But it was good to me, and now it's not.
It's probably worth trying anything.
Regards,
Jillian

ElizaLeahy
12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
If you aren't getting results doing what you are doing - then change what you are doing.

Either try different venues for your art, or change the sort of art you do for the venue, or both.

Nina - how is that acrylic nude coming? Is she REDy? heehee

:D

CathyD
12-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Eliza, you are doing great! You are getting some pretty decent prices for your art. Have you stuck to the way you've been painting all along or have you made adjustments for ebay? Do you do a lot FP's?

Cathy

wayfarer
12-04-2003, 05:46 PM
Yes, I'm trying to do the same, Nina. Not selling doesn't feel good, but I feel as if I'm able to keep the business side of art separate from doing the art. Hang in there! (speaking as one of the few view crowd too.) Your work is really very lovely, so bright and cheery!

That is very good advice, Eliza. It does a lot to feel like you're doing something and not just letting things happen. I'm trying some different work too lately and hoping for something good out of it.

Chris

Lady Rando
12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
I just started with ebay so I don't have a long history to compare with but I have been doing okay with my listings. Of course, like the rest of you I would love to be selling more but I am just now building a following so I will hang in there.

Antoine
12-04-2003, 07:11 PM
An old art dealer once told me “it’s sometimes a good idea to raise your prices… never good to lower them” (I cant say that I always listen)

I have not been on ebay long at all, but I have been in the ‘being full time artist’ game for quite a few years and I do feel that we shouldn’t drop our prizes too low! (I’m also guilty of this) I know that there is a buyer for every work and sometimes you just have to hold out. I do feel that the problem is in the method of getting to the right market that’s the tuff part. To be able to adapt up to a certain extend to what the market wants is important but there have to be limits… if one cross those it’s like selling your soul.

Speaking of the market - a strange place!! I suddenly remembered about a painting which did not sell for 3 years… slowly I lowered and lowered the price ‘till at a certain exhibit I just hit the right place with it. I did not only sell it, I got 3 commissions from people wanting similar pieces (since I do not paint copies) …strange place out there…

arteitaliana
12-04-2003, 07:30 PM
I agree that prices should not be lowered I also think that having an "art sale " is not a good idea. If your work is not selling even at low prices or it does not sell often, then either the work itself or the marketing of it, or both, may be the problem. Raising prices may not be the answer.
You could have a visibility problem or/and a saleability problem.
I try and take advantage of all the marketing tools out there but also examine my work to understand what sells well and what doesn't and why.

Having said this, I have to add that this is the lowest ebay has ever been. Just look at the "going going gone"...prices are really low even for successful artists. I see a trend showing that prices are getting lower and paintings being offered are larger.

I don't think Christmas is a good time for selling artwork.....:mad:

ElizaLeahy
12-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Rita, when do you think we should stop for a Christmas break, or should we?

CathyD, yes, I made big changes. I was doing small paintings on the theory that they were easy to post. But my sales and my prices were low.

I was also listing them in two categories, Paintings and self rep.

But then I took another look at self rep and saw that almost all the FP's were selling, most with multipul bids, while in the category of Painting not all FP's sold, and those that did often only had one bid, and they were usually by dead or "listed" artist.

As I'm neither I thought that wasn't the place for me to try and sell :)

I can't send huge paintings on stretchers - our post has a maximum size of 3 foot. But hey, I can take them OFF the stretchers and roll them.

This means that I had to go from oils to acrylics (and I ADORE painting with oils, so it was a big decision) and I had to outlay money on a roll of canvas. But that paid for itself in the first sale I had - which was 7 days after my first painting.

Problem is I find them rather tirering to do. One a day is a stretch, 3 a week is more like it. Waaaaaaa!!!!!! I *LIKED* doing my little oils!

So I'm still doing oils in between and putting them in my store. They are my better paintings, but not by better sellers.

TeAnne
12-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Antoine
An old art dealer once told me “it’s sometimes a good idea to raise your prices… never good to lower them” (I cant say that I always listen)

Funny you should say that. :) I've been putting a higher price on the bigger ones as I do them. I feel by doing this, I might get the message out to the customer that my art is worth the money. Plus, personally I think I'm improving with each new piece.

CarlyHardy
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Last year I took off from the 15th until after the 1st of January, but this year I'm thinking of not listing again until after the new year. My November sales were minimal and the last few paintings I've listed had a lot of views but no sales.

Right now I'm focusing on getting paintings framed for an upcoming opening for two shows, one opens Dec 15, the other Jan 5. So I'm really busy with that. I found a wholesale framer who works with artists! so I'm doing the framing myself. Hopefully I'll have some sales from one of the shows!

I didn't lose any of my clients last year by taking off during the holidays and with Ebay so slow right now, I doubt they will be surprised to find that I'm not listing for awhile. Most of them know I'll be back :)!
carly

arteitaliana
12-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Rita, when do you think we should stop for a Christmas break, or should we?

I am debating that very thing myself....My banner budget is almost depleted and I don't have many listings at the moment.
I will probably take a breack and work on my commissions....
I think that next week, Monday or Tuesday are the last days I will list. Hits are very low and so are prices.
I just sold a large painting "Tuscan Landscape" from my absolutearts webpage....That was good!
http://www.absolutearts.com/cgi-bin/portfolio/art/your-art.cgi?login=arteitaliana&title=Tuscan_Landscape-1057381683t.jpg
So...I think I will stop listing for a few weeks and come back right after Christmas or even later.

This is the program at the moment....I reserve the right to change it any any time....LOL!

pampe
12-04-2003, 09:53 PM
:clap: way to go , Rita!!

surreal
12-04-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ElizaLeahy

Nina - how is that acrylic nude coming? Is she REDy? heehee

Eliza,
You are very funny.
;)

The canvases I ordered arrived.
Some are defective, unfortunately - these are the canvases I had wanted to use to paint my nudies on. :(

I will rummage through my studio soon and hopefully will turn up a nice stretched canvas that is small in size for my upcoming nude painting!

Antoine
12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by TeAnne

Funny you should say that. :) I've been putting a higher price on the bigger ones as I do them. I feel by doing this, I might get the message out to the customer that my art is worth the money. Plus, personally I think I'm improving with each new piece.

That is so good to hear!! ;) I’m also getting ready to list some big pieces with good prices. People think what they pay is the value of the piece and right now I feel I would rather not sell than lower my prices.

(I’m keeping my eye on your new red–figures and love every one more)

wayfarer
12-04-2003, 11:04 PM
My best 2 months this year came when I raised my prices. Might try that again! :p

I'm going to keep posting. I probably will just list paintings once though and put them in my store to build up an inventory for the show season next year if they don't sell. I'm trying a few with subtitles too.

Have to say that I'm disappointed with the keyword ads too. I've had over 130 click-throughs on one and no sales that I can attribute to it. I must admit though, I rushed into the ad campaigns and didn't plan out my strategy. On my free one though, I chose more common words to try a more aggressive approach. Hey, it's free, why not?

Here's wishing everyone the best though and hoping things turn around on eBay for all of us!

Chris

surreal
12-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by wayfarer

Here's wishing everyone the best though and hoping things turn around on eBay for all of us!

Chris

Ditto.

arlene
12-05-2003, 02:01 AM
i have the two watercolors going up cheap (otherwise they hit the circular file) and I think I too will take off till sometime in January...I have 5 or 6 paintings right now I can put up on ebay once the new year comes.

JoyJoyJoy
12-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Rita.... :clap: CONGRATULATIONS :clap: on your sale of "Tuscan Landscape"!!! You deserve that success, and more!

Nance

kjsspot
12-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Congrats Rita!!! =D

Is this your first sale off Absolute Arts? And if not, approximately how often do you get a sale from there? And, do you have the premium portfolio or the regular one? And one other question, I see that you can accept credit card payment for a 20% commision, but you can also use PayPal. Why would you choose the 20% option instead of PayPal?

Lots of questions. I'm considering opening a portfolio there within a couple of months.

Salairawns
12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Congrats Rita. Those are some beautiful paintings. My favorite of yours is Red Roofs. Sometimes I go to your ebay just to look at it because it makes me feel good. :) I admit, I've been dabbling with paintings of red roofs since then. But mine aren't beautiful like yours. Mine are creepy and outsider style.
Anyway, congrats, you've earned it. :D

Other thoughts
Since some of you are talking about not listing again til after the new year, have you considered stating that in your auctions, that way buyers know to look for you again? Or would that even be necessary? Just something I wondered.

On lowering prices, I'm going to use Nina as an example because I watch her auctions almost as much as mine. :p She had a good spate of sales, and then the buyers just disappeared. It hasn't seemed to matter if she raised or lowered her prices.
The buyers aren't there. So I'm wondering if it even makes a difference if prices are lowered or raised. The only ones who really notice are repeat buyers, and they don't seem to be around. New buyers wouldn't know that you'd changed prices. Unless you're putting sale in the title.

Is there anyway to make price changing work better for us? Maybe by adding holiday sale? And in the auction mention that all prices go up or return to normal at the beginning of the new year?
Has adding sale in the title helped with bids?

And since I'm feeling chatty, I'll just throw in, Eliza I had a dream about you, but your face was your WC icon, lol! Can't tell you much except it had something to do with flying to Australia hanging on a piece of string. :confused: Hang in there? :p

Celena

arteitaliana
12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Thank you all!

This is the first and only sale from absolutearts webpage this year. I have the "premier" account. The buyer was searching the site for "landscape" and stumbled on my painting. It's a present for his wife's birthday.

Celena: The Red Roofs sold yesterday as well to a local client.

If I stop listing I will not say it in my auctions ( hmmmm... but maybe I will, it's a good idea!) but will probably send an alert to all my clients when I resume listing.

Sorry...my idea is that adding the word "sale" to any listing cheapens the work and smells of desperation. My sales are not what they used to be. I sold two this months for under $100. I am doing ok thanks to some faithful clients , but new ones ( in spite of the banner ads) are few and far between....People are just not buying artwork in December...

Kerryjo: I accept PayPal only on absolutearts site, don't know what you mean by 20% commissions....I went to my page and could not find mention of it...can you explain?

Last year I sold more from the absolutearts page because I had it linked in the ebay ME page, then I opened and ebay store and did away with the link. I wanted the absoluteart page to work independently with no help from ebay.

I don't have many large paintings anymore...i better do something about it.

;)

Fagan
12-05-2003, 03:12 PM
I will continue to place paintings up for auction through the season. I had quite a few paintings sell just after Christmas last year. People have some "down time" right after Christmas...where they can shop at leisure. Some people have new computers and have heard of Ebay and want to try it out. So...I will still plug along even though it has been a tough selling season.

Rita...I have a "Sale" going on my website. I do not feel....what was that word? desperate? But would like to get rid of a stack of paintings before the new year. I feel your choice of words rather condescending. But what the hey! Say what you feel.

Antoine
12-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Rita Monaco
It's a present for his wife's birthday.

This is a very interesting coincidence, I’ve also had an offer for one of my large paintings this morning from someone who wants to buy it for a present for his wife's birthday. Well, since no-one is buying paintings for Christmas presents, I’m sure glad they’re still buying birthday presents.

arteitaliana
12-05-2003, 03:41 PM
I feel your choice of words rather condescending. But what the hey! Say what you feel.

I am sorry, I did not mean to be condscending...I just wanted to point out that such a word "sale" may be perceived in a negative way by the client. Perception is very important in sales.
We all want to be perceived as successful, even if sometimes this is not easy to do. I understand that you want to sell some overstock, just lowering some prices should be enough without giving the "bargain basement" impression to your clients.

R

ElizaLeahy
12-05-2003, 04:06 PM
Very good news Rita! Congratulations :)

Salairawns, that *is* my face. It's a self portrait called "Bad Hair Day". It was bought by the local hospital! Beats me why they would want to depress their patients that way.

surreal
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM

..................I just wanted to point out that such a word "sale" may be perceived in a negative way by the client. Perception is very important in sales.

R

Hi Rita,
In my opinion it all depends on the bidder, as to the perception the word "sale" may have.

There are alot of folk that would jump at looking at any item that is labelled "sale."

I don't think that the word "sale" cheapens the work at all, especially for ebay bidders.

I am going to continue to use "sale" in some of my listings.
:)

Sumafra
12-06-2003, 02:23 AM
There's nothing Ebay buyers like better than getting a bargain. If they think they are getting it 'on sale', they'll feel better about it, might even bid on it when they would not have otherwise. Who knows? The whole 'sales' thing is just one big cr..pshoot anyway. Does anyone really know what motivates the buyer to buy other than he loves the piece? I personally think that all there is to it, they love it, they buy it. It's not price and it's not the fancy listing. Once they find you, IF they find you (and THAT'S the big one), they will buy it if they love it, and only if they love it. Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. But what do I know??

TeAnne
12-06-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Sumafra
There's nothing Ebay buyers like better than getting a bargain. If they think they are getting it 'on sale', they'll feel better about it, might even bid on it when they would not have otherwise. Who knows? The whole 'sales' thing is just one big cr..pshoot anyway. Does anyone really know what motivates the buyer to buy other than he loves the piece? I personally think that all there is to it, they love it, they buy it. It's not price and it's not the fancy listing. Once they find you, IF they find you (and THAT'S the big one), they will buy it if they love it, and only if they love it. Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. But what do I know??

I will back you 100%. And you have to be out there to be seen.

Sorry, I don't like the 'sale' part but the rest, yes.

TeAnne
12-06-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by JoyJoyJoy
Rita.... :clap: CONGRATULATIONS :clap: on your sale of "Tuscan Landscape"!!! You deserve that success, and more!

Nance

Yep, big congrats to you. Well done. :clap: :clap:

surreal
12-06-2003, 02:46 AM
Congratulations, Rita, on the sale of your painting from your website!

arteitaliana
12-06-2003, 02:48 AM
Ok, maybe is just me...I don't like the word "sale" applied to artwork, also I am very suspicious of "bargains" in general.
I am not a great bargain hunter and usually buy what I like as long as I can afford it.
But ...this is just my way, I am possibly a crazy old woman...so, don't mind me and do what works for you. OK?:)

kjsspot
12-06-2003, 03:43 AM
Kerryjo: I accept PayPal only on absolutearts site, don't know what you mean by 20% commissions....I went to my page and could not find mention of it...can you explain?

Hmmm... I went to their home page and went into the area that explains what you get with a premier account. One of the things it offered was a credit card service. It said it carried a 20% commission for this service. Then it also mentioned that you can choose PayPal as well. It didn't make sense why anyone would choose 20% over the few percentage points that PayPal charges.

Thanks for the info about Absolute Arts. I'll have to seriously peruse the site and check it out.

arteitaliana
12-06-2003, 04:21 AM
Thanks, for explaining KerryJo.
Their credit card offer is a rip off. I did not subscribe to it, of course. If people cannot use Paypal ( and why would they not? A credit card is all they need.) they can pay with an International Money Order.
I think that me getting a sale from this site is a fluke...but I will take care of the site a bit more from now on. I have not updated it in months.

surreal
12-06-2003, 10:02 AM
For the sales I have had from my absolutearts.com site I have only accepted paypal, too.

I agree with Rita about the credit card offer being a ripoff.

champagneharley
12-06-2003, 10:29 AM

I just sold a large painting "Tuscan Landscape" from my absolutearts webpage....That was good!
http://www.absolutearts.com/cgi-bin/portfolio/art/your-art.cgi?login=arteitaliana&title=Tuscan_Landscape-1057381683t.jpg
Congratulations, it's lovely.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Ebay's got a 'new' style front page!
I thought I was seeing things at first!
Not too certain about it, and it's impact on buyers.
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by champagneharley
Ebay's got a 'new' style front page!
I thought I was seeing things at first!
Not too certain about it, and it's impact on buyers.
Regards,
Jillian
OK, it is a new page - down the bottom it says ... why does this page look different.
Answer - it looks that way to unregistered buyers.
I'm registered, but it still showed up that way to me!
I registered THEN went back to it, and it was then the usual page.
I'm finding this VERY confusing, as I ask to always be signed in, and it does this to me.
Regards,
Jillian

Salairawns
12-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Rita, I'm sorry to see The Red Roofs go, but I'm glad for you that you sold it. Congrats again. :)

Eliza, I should have been more specific. In the dream it was literally, your square icon stuck on a body, not just your pretty face and bad hair day, lol. :p

Absolute arts looks interesting. I suppose it couldn't hurt to list a few items there on their free account and see what happens. :)

I recall someone else saying they placed Sale in their listing, but never actually lowered the prices. But when their sale was over, they did raise all their prices. Just another thought.

For those of you who have raised and lowered your prices while an auction is running, if you're running Sellathon, have you been less likely to change your price if you know someone is watching it?
I had wanted to raise a few prices, but have some My Ebayers watching. Before it never bothered me to change prices, but now knowing folks are watching, I wonder if it would discourage them. Don't want to mess with a potential sale.

Celena

kiwicockatoo
12-06-2003, 02:23 PM
Jillian, I tried a few times this week to get to your ebay auctions from your siggie link, and I always got a page with a message that you were no longer a registered user. I thought you had cancelled your auctions for some reason. I guess there was a glitch with your ebay id this week - keep an eye on it.

BTW I just accessed your paintings and everything looks fine today. Nice paintings!

champagneharley
12-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by kiwicockatoo
Jillian, I tried a few times this week to get to your ebay auctions from your siggie link, and I always got a page with a message that you were no longer a registered user. I thought you had cancelled your auctions for some reason. I guess there was a glitch with your ebay id this week - keep an eye on it.

BTW I just accessed your paintings and everything looks fine today. Nice paintings!
There was about 12 hours where I'd cancelled my ebay 'shop' and my link here, on WC went there. I didn't realise until later that my link went to my shop. I can't justify the $9.95 outlay at the moment.
Thank you for persevering and for your nice comments.
Regards,
Jillian

arlene
12-07-2003, 11:59 AM
my auction hits are so low right now, it's ridiculous...I have one more cheapy going up on monday and then i'm done till i see it start to pick up a bit.

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by arlene
my auction hits are so low right now, it's ridiculous...I have one more cheapy going up on monday and then i'm done till i see it start to pick up a bit.
My commiserations arlene.
I am also not happy with ebay results at the moment. It's not even a matter of not selling, if people were looking I'd know I'd need to change my work, but the lookers aren't there, either.
Cheap art is not the way to go, I'm sure.
Am trying to think of ways to turn things around.
How come this happened so suddenly?
Is it an artist problem or ebay problem - as some suggest?
If it's ebay, maybe we're just banging our heads against a brick wall.
Wishing you well.
Regards,
Jillian

arlene
12-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Honestly i think it's both. It's holiday season and art is not a big seller this time of the year. There's a reason that most of the fine artists (not the fine crafters) stop doing shows the end of October, and this is the reason. People will buy a beautiful pot, or knick knack for someone, but not a painting.

But I believe that a huge onus falls on ebay. I think they screwed up royally.

I got my outbid notice for Kiwi's auction almost three days later, and I'm getting my notices of my auctions ending anywhere from a day to three days later.

And that's just one of the problems.

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Honestly i think it's both. It's holiday season and art is not a big seller this time of the year. There's a reason that most of the fine artists (not the fine crafters) stop doing shows the end of October, and this is the reason. People will buy a beautiful pot, or knick knack for someone, but not a painting.

But I believe that a huge onus falls on ebay. I think they screwed up royally.

I got my outbid notice for Kiwi's auction almost three days later, and I'm getting my notices of my auctions ending anywhere from a day to three days later.

And that's just one of the problems.
I know that it CAN be both. But I have never seen it like this, and think that the drop is SO drastic that we must question why. If we are not doing anything different, or are trying different things, and nothing is working, then it must possibly be something else.
Did you know that ebay has a different front page for unregistereds? I came across it by accident.
Do we need more categories, or a change? Do we need more promotion help from ebay, some more moderators?
Surely this is something that can be looked at.
Regards,
Jillian

Diyart
12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Hello,

I would like to contribute my experience. As some of you may know I have shut down my EBAY account for mostly same reason as discussed here.

One thing I learned is that EBAY market seems to have almost no memory. I interrupted several times for weeks an even months and after coming back sales went better for some time and then leveled (is that correct ?) out. In fact I made same amount of money in the first 3-5 months in 1999 when I started as I did in the years later.
The structure of the sellers has changed a lot in past years and probably the viewers also.

May be EBAY users see the art market on EBAY now more like a decoration shop and artists should offer christmas subject like St.Klaus etc...so every season something new. ???

(thank you again for all your patience with me ..)

best regards
Martin

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Diyart
Hello,

I would like to contribute my experience. As some of you may know I have shut down my EBAY account for mostly same reason as discussed here.

One thing I learned is that EBAY market seems to have almost no memory. I interrupted several times for weeks an even months and after coming back sales went better for some time and then leveled (is that correct ?) out. In fact I made same amount of money in the first 3-5 months in 1999 when I started as I did in the years later.
The structure of the sellers has changed a lot in past years and probably the viewers also.

May be EBAY users see the art market on EBAY now more like a decoration shop and artists should offer christmas subject like St.Klaus etc...so every season something new. ???

(thank you again for all your patience with me ..)

best regards
Martin
I am thinking that both, sellers and buyers have changed.
However I also subscribe to a 'miniatures' forum and they are saying about the same things. What they bought 2 years ago, they can now get 3 of for the same price, also that there are imitators with low cost versions of quality work who are selling their little imitating hearts out! (I don't mean that derogatory - just that good luck to them, as it seems to be worth it - though I still can't see the bonus of going to heaps of trouble listing and selling a $5 item, that costs me $3, and gaining $2 for a whole lot of mucking around with postage, banking, etc. etc.).
What I am seeing seems to be much more sudden, somehow, so don't really see it as a 'trend'. Has something happened to ruin it.
I think santa mooning or whatever might be the best idea to hit ebay with as a sales strategy. :)
Maybe we can come up with some suggestions to hit ebay with - Maybe a separate category for 'Martin's Art'?
Ebay doesn't have all the answers - surely if we can come up with something that will result in ease to use, more sales, easier and better for artists, they would be silly not to adapt.
Regards,
Jillian

surreal
12-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Hi Arlene,

I know you have a new computer now.

When you used to view my work your location was Coram, N.Y.

I wonder if you looked at my work this morning, and that your location comes up as Franklin Square, N.Y.

I know that my location on Sellathon is Staten Island, N.Y.

I am just curious.

lol

idahogirl
12-07-2003, 05:58 PM
It has been terribly slow. If this were real estate, I would say it is a buyers market..... more sellers than buyers. One possible reason for that is a few months ago, there were several blurbs on television and in the newspapers about Ebay scams. Even if the general public didn't read the articles, the impression is left. Consequently, I think some new people that would have started coming to Ebay have been scared off. We know that the vast majority of transactions are between honest sellers and honest buyers, but the public may not realize this and have been scared off by the media negative hype.

Just a thought,

Dee

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by deefox
It has been terribly slow. If this were real estate, I would say it is a buyers market..... more sellers than buyers. One possible reason for that is a few months ago, there were several blurbs on television and in the newspapers about Ebay scams. Even if the general public didn't read the articles, the impression is left. Consequently, I think some new people that would have started coming to Ebay have been scared off. We know that the vast majority of transactions are between honest sellers and honest buyers, but the public may not realize this and have been scared off by the media negative hype.

Just a thought,

Dee My first thought was to say ... no way!
However, something has happened.
Just MAYBE this was the final straw for some.
The rumours have always been around, as well as initial skepticism.
Oh well.
Regards,
Jillian

tonigart
12-07-2003, 06:42 PM
This is my first year selling art on Ebay during the holidays so I don't know what to expect, it does seem to be much more "quiet" than the past few months. I did sell other things this time of year in the past and found that it was slow then too. I think more people are off the computers, shopping at malls, spending money on others rather than themselves (which I think the majority of art is purchased for).

In the past I saw people buying again at full force in Jan and Feb. If you live where it is cold the blahs set in more people are sitting in front of the computers then.

I am not shocked that it is so slow now but I will be shocked if it this slow in Jan and Feb.

Take care,
Toni

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by tonigart
...I am not shocked that it is so slow now but I will be shocked if it this slow in Jan and Feb.

Take care,
Toni
Yes, Jan/Feb will be interesting.

arlene
12-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Hi Arlene,

I know you have a new computer now.

When you used to view my work your location was Coram, N.Y.

I wonder if you looked at my work this morning, and that your location comes up as Franklin Square, N.Y.

I know that my location on Sellathon is Staten Island, N.Y.

I am just curious.

lol

Nope wasn't me. Unless the ip number was the same. Just because I changed my computer, doesn't mean the ip changes nina. the ip has to do with the provider...in my case cablevision.

TeAnne
12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by deefox

Just a thought,

Dee
That thought has crossed my mind many times.
A lot of bad publicity here too. Unfortunately, people will always remember the bad publicity.

surreal
12-07-2003, 08:20 PM

Nope wasn't me. Unless the ip number was the same. Just because I changed my computer, doesn't mean the ip changes nina. the ip has to do with the provider...in my case cablevision.

Thanks, Arlene!
I just learned something new.

SunshineyChelle
12-07-2003, 08:27 PM
In response to maintaining an ebay presence, I figured...well, I'm so new to ebay that what's it matter if I maintain a presence right now or not?

Sooooo... I went about my business and didn't keep much (or anything for that matter) listed on eBay recently. I checked my feedback over the weekend, though, and my first buyer posted a very positive feedback and even commented that they'd like to buy more!

Acccck!!! I immediately thought... My Ebay Presence could have already paid off if I had somethings listedddddddd. Nevertheless, I've relisted my tulip macro and I'm working this week on a few more ebay pieces.

Just thought I'd share my experience!

Thanks!

Michelle........who will be VERY sad when my free trial of Sellathon is over.. :crying:

champagneharley
12-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by SunshineyChelle
In response to maintaining an ebay presence, I figured...well, I'm so new to ebay that what's it matter if I maintain a presence right now or not?

Sooooo... I went about my business and didn't keep much (or anything for that matter) listed on eBay recently. I checked my feedback over the weekend, though, and my first buyer posted a very positive feedback and even commented that they'd like to buy more!

Acccck!!! I immediately thought... My Ebay Presence could have already paid off if I had somethings listedddddddd. Nevertheless, I've relisted my tulip macro and I'm working this week on a few more ebay pieces.

Thanks!

Michelle........who will be VERY sad when my free trial of Sellathon is over.. :crying:
Glad for your successes.
Just because we are complaining doesn't mean you shouldn't try. For some it's working, so glad it is for you!
Regards,
Jillian

surreal
12-07-2003, 09:02 PM

..................I checked my feedback over the weekend, though, and my first buyer posted a very positive feedback and even commented that they'd like to buy more!

Thanks!

Keep listing images on ebay, SunshineyChelle.
I am glad that things are looking good for you on ebay!

SunshineyChelle
12-07-2003, 10:58 PM
lol.. I wouldnt exactly say things are looking good for me on ebay. I've listed minimum 10 things in Oct/November and I sold 2.

I'm new at this, and I'm just thrilled that TWO people that weren't my family liked my art enough to buy it. :D It's a big thrill, no matter how much it sells for!!

I've learned lot in this forum and love to browse it.

Thanks!
Michelle

surreal
12-07-2003, 11:02 PM
........ It's a big thrill, no matter how much it sells for!!....................

Michelle

Selling on ebay sure is exciting!!!
There will be more thrills to come!
Enjoy!!!
;)

Diyart
12-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Good morning,

one of the disadvantages of EBAY is that one doesn`t know to much about buyers/customers. Sellers side is almost fully transparent.
What about adding a questionaire to your auctions to start a customer survey ? To find out how your auctions are rated for example ?
I do not Know whether EBAY will be open to something like this.

What if the survey would say that there are 75 % sellers and only 25 % potential buyers looking ?
best regards
Martin

P.S. : A personal category would be nice,but probably wouldn`t help my sales.

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Getting information about what buyers want is a good idea. Unfortunately surveys tend to scare people away.

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 06:53 AM
I have me new 'green' one up lolol
And I just found one of my old visual diaries from Uni. I have heaps of nudes I can distort. wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3644214298&category=20158

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2003/1887-oilgreen1sml.jpg

This is the charcoal I took it from. This one Won people's choice in Geraldton Exhibition and also sold, she had a black matt and black frame.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Dec-2003/1887-TAMARA.jpg

impressionist2
12-08-2003, 07:32 AM
Hi all, I just stopped back to tell you that my sales have been horrible and that I had taken to listing only one auction at a time.

Then, I read Linda Ciallelo's comment about landscapes selling better than figurative paintings ( my first love). Only the twentieth time I've heard that, but it finally sunk in, and I figured I'd try it this time.

This am I almost fell over. My Prague painting from the WC library is at $125. !! with 12 hours to go.

I FPed both of my current auctions, as Rita and others advised.

So, whether this is a temporary fluke, or I am hitting on something, it's nice to see something like this finally.

Renee

surreal
12-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by impressionist2
Hi all, I just stopped back to tell you that my sales have been horrible and that I had taken to listing only one auction at a time.

Then, I read Linda Ciallelo's comment about landscapes selling better than figurative paintings ( my first love). Only the twentieth time I've heard that, but it finally sunk in, and I figured I'd try it this time.

This am I almost fell over. My Prague painting from the WC library is at $125. !! with 12 hours to go.

So, whether this is a temporary fluke, or I am hitting on something, it's nice to see something like this finally.

Renee

This is fantastic news, Renee!!!
May your success continue!!!

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 07:45 AM

Renee

That is one gorgeous painting. I loved it when I saw it over in oils. CONGRATS Renee :clap: :clap:

champagneharley
12-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Good morning,

one of the disadvantages of EBAY is that one doesn`t know to much about buyers/customers. Sellers side is almost fully transparent.
What about adding a questionaire to your auctions to start a customer survey ? To find out how your auctions are rated for example ?
I do not Know whether EBAY will be open to something like this.

What if the survey would say that there are 75 % sellers and only 25 % potential buyers looking ?
best regards
Martin

P.S. : A personal category would be nice,but probably wouldn`t help my sales.
A poll might be interesting. Ebay may even know. I doubt they would publish the results, anyway. After all, they trade as a public company, and so it may all be a stocks issue.
You never know, a personal category might be just the thing! :D
Regards,
Jillian

champagneharley
12-08-2003, 08:06 AM

Renee
You have 200 viewers, too!
You did something right!
But, besides that, it is a lovely painting!
Congratulations.
Regards,
Jillian

impressionist2
12-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Jillian, Te-Anne and Nina, Thanks so much!

Thanks, too, to everyone for all the good advice in this forum!

Renee

Paintonbrush
12-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Renee wahoooooo!!!!!! I am so happy for you....keep it up girl!

Antoine
12-08-2003, 10:30 AM
TeAnne, I just love your abstraction and thanks for putting up the original. My favorite themes are both abstract and figurative, but I’ve never found a good way to combine them. This is very original!!

Renee, Congratulations! So nice to see some good prices! I have also decided to take a wild shot by throwing a big painting in (for the first time) and see what happens. To see your auction is really encouraging… shows: it can be done!

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 10:46 AM
TeAnne, I just love your abstraction and thanks for putting up the original. My favorite themes are both abstract and figurative, but I’ve never found a good way to combine them. This is very original!!

Thanks Antoine, I'm glad someone likes my work. :D I've just finished another one. I'll list it tomorrow after any touchups that might be needed.
I'm still just feeling my way around, after not painting for so long, I feel like a kid with a new toy. lolol

Well, I'm off to bed. Night all

arlene
12-08-2003, 11:12 AM

Renee

well my one landscape only has one hit so far. and my other two auctions have zip...of course the other two aren't fp'd

I'm glad your's are going well Renee! good to hear, now when we getting together for lunch...you going to the long island artist guild show?

impressionist2
12-08-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks Diane, Antoine and Arlene,

Let's just hope it's not a fluke.

Is that the show in South Hampton, Arlene?

Anything I do will have to be after the hoildays. Between the Grands and the shopping, and painting, there's barely enough time to get anything done.

Renee

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Renee, I'm sure it's not a fluke. I've always loved your paintings - I loved the soft people you did, but as you have found out, that isn't necessarily what people on ebay want.

I hope this is the answer for you, and that you enjoy doing landscape work.

2 hours to go :)

madmum
12-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Ebay is dead, so what do we do?

We list LOTS and force people to look! I have 3 auctions and 3 straight BINs (free listing day for BINs in UK)

My florals are doing much better, no bids but my poppy has over 100 hits (FP) and according to Sellathon 7 people have it on their watch list! :D

The tulip (FP) has a watcher in Perth (own up, who is it? I don't say I sell to Australia! LOL) Whoever it is had some kind of email alert?

Now I just wait for the bids!

Ruth

ElizaLeahy
12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
The perth person is possibly TeAnne :)

madmum
12-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Probably! LOL TeAnne, thanks for watching! :D (I might make an exception to you, if you did bid! ;) )

Ruth

surreal
12-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Ebay is so dead now that I don't feel comfortable spending money to fp any items.

I feel like it would be a waste of good money!
lol

;)

pampe
12-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, I am not sure what to do now...I sold 2 over the weekend....I don't trust that whole "watching" thing.....several have ended with 5 or more "watchers" and no bids.

Very confusing

surreal
12-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by pampe
Well, I am not sure what to do now...I sold 2 over the weekend....I don't trust that whole "watching" thing.....several have ended with 5 or more "watchers" and no bids.

Very confusing

Hi Pam,

The same thing is happening to me, with folk "watching" my items and only 1 or 0 bids.

I think people have fun "watching" lots of items, sort of like the fun people have window shopping.

There's too much window shopping!!!
:mad:

;)

Shai
12-08-2003, 07:17 PM

Hi Pam,

The same thing is happening to me, with folk "watching" my items and only 1 or 0 bids.

I think people have fun "watching" lots of items, sort of like the fun people have window shopping.

;)

LOL! I agree! :)

TeAnne
12-08-2003, 07:48 PM

Hi Pam,

;)

Yeah, I'm watching you Nina. lolol

pampe
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
see

LOL

...I think half the people watching are US!!!

surreal
12-08-2003, 11:14 PM

...I think half the people watching are US!!! [/B]

LOL

:cat: :cat: :cat:

surreal
12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
You are right, Pam.

I recognize some of the locations that people have been watching my auctions from.
;)

lol

surreal
12-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Hi Te,

I am watching you too!!!

lol

Salairawns
12-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I'll own up, Nina. I am/was watching three of your trees. I was going to get the gold one, then noticed the one Harts has a bid on and almost bid, but then she said it was a gift, so went back to the gold. Then you listed that nice multi colored in your store, and I watched the gold auction end. It was a very hard decision. I like the metallic gold, but I really liked the shape of the multi; which I just bought. :) Now I'll have a flower and a tree. :D
Btw, my server usually shows as Orlando, FL, even though I'm in North Florida. I watch a lot of WCers, for various reasons. ;)
Celena

My soon-to-be tree :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3642693677

surreal
12-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi Celena,
I think you will like your new tree!

Antoine
12-09-2003, 09:23 AM
The Kuriloff-trees are awesome. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on one for a while.

Celena, I love the colours & curly branches of yours!

TeAnne
12-09-2003, 09:28 AM
see

LOL

...I think half the people watching are US!!!

I look a lot :D

jolie
12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
one of the disadvantages of EBAY is that one doesn`t know to much about buyers/customers. Sellers side is almost fully transparent. What about adding a questionaire to your auctions to start a customer survey ?

Anytime more information is available, it's great, of course. I would love to have more market info and better assess sales techniques. However, I don't think the situation on eBay is necessarily that different from any other market. A real gallery doesn't always know anything about their potential customers either. Just because people are browsing, doesn't mean they are serious buyers. I often go to galleries just to admire or to scout out potential representation. I think "window shopping" exists in any venue, whether a virtual or real venue.

Having said that, I think you are on to a good idea, although it would have to be presented in a way that potential buyers don't feel their privacy is infringed upon. I rarely complete surveys and I'm annoyed when they arrive by email. I don't see ebay as promoting anything like that, but I don't think it would be beyond the realm of possibility to do it ourselves with our own buyers or. We could offer some sort of incentive for taking the time to fill out info, such as entering them into a quarterly drawing for a small piece of artwork. Would a link within the auction (leading to a survey) be legal? It would certainly be a better way of obtaining info, because then we could also find out why people didn't buy our work.

Jolie

madmum
12-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Yippeeeeeeeeeee! This is a good day! First I won Nina's tree :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I just sold one of my BIN listings! :D

Search term was "Welsh", if anyone is interested ;)

Now I need one of my FP's to sell!

Ruth

Antoine
12-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Congrats Ruth, now in my book – that is a jolly good day!! ;)

(my toes are crossed for your FP)

madmum
12-09-2003, 03:11 PM
:D Thanks Antoine! Whatever you did, do it again! I got a bid on my poppy FP! :clap:

Ruth

Antoine
12-09-2003, 04:05 PM
I’ve got magic toes ;) :D

surreal
12-09-2003, 08:08 PM
The Kuriloff-trees are awesome. I’ve been wanting to get my hands on one for a while.

Celena, I love the colours & curly branches of yours!

Thanks so much!

surreal
12-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by madmum
:D Thanks Antoine! Whatever you did, do it again! I got a bid on my poppy FP! :clap:

Ruth

Congrats Ruth!!!

impressionist2
12-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by madmum
Yippeeeeeeeeeee! This is a good day! First I won Nina's tree :clap: :clap: :clap:

And I just sold one of my BIN listings! :D

Search term was "Welsh", if anyone is interested ;)

Now I need one of my FP's to sell!

Ruth

Ruth, Congratulations on both counts!

Someday Everyone will want to own a Signature Kuriloff Tree!!

Renee

surreal
12-09-2003, 11:22 PM
You are very kind, Renee.