PDA

View Full Version : New for me, I'm so excited

AutumnH
12-04-2003, 10:51 AM
I didn't think these fit in the show and tell because they aren't great, but I needed to show them to somebody just because I'm excited!

The first picture is some rubino frit experiments. Not really what I wanted, but I've printed some tutorials from here on silver/rubino and expect the next tries to go better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/29660-rubino.JPG

This next picture was a brand new experience for me. I have some Bullseye strips (thanks Kalera!) and tried them. The four on the right are BE. I loved how easy it was to wrap and melt smooth. You can't tell from the picture but the clear ones have blue and green stripes in.
The two on the left are from some stained glass scraps I got from a friend of a friend. She has her own studio and does stained glass full time, she's a very talented artist. So I begged her for her scraps, lol! I was excited on how these turned out. The glass was a deeper transparent reddish orange. These came out so rich in color!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/29660-strips.JPG

And finally, the one that had me dancing back up the steps out of the basement, even before I knew how they'd look all cooled. I finally figured out how to keep EDP from turning into white-coated scum. Thanks to tips here, the right phase of the moon, and the fact that I had on my lucky socks, I got these!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/29660-edp.jpg

Be warned, the glass strips and stained glass beads are a bit wonky, I misjudged how long they'd hold the heat before I put them in the blanket. (Santa, are you getting the hint that I want a kiln????) But wonky or not, all of this is new for me. I love how I love this "hobby." Does that make sense? I don't get bored, I walk away from my torch excited, I can't wait to go back, and even if something turns out WAY wrong, I still melted glass and made a bead!

Ok, done now, I'll go calm down and try to get a few things done so I can play again tonight. Thanks for humoring me!

Rona

swamperfolk
12-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Really nice beads. I especially like the frit ones. They don't look wonky to me. You are doing great.

GinnyHampton
12-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey Rona! You're doing great :) Already an expert at EDP, huh . . . . I'm jealous!!

When you're done w/ your bead, give it one last all over/even heating, then twirl it slowly outside the flame until the glow goes away. THEN put it in your blanket and it won't wonk on ya :)

AutumnH
12-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Ginny,
Thanks! I was doing well on the Moretti beads, but the stained glass held the heat much longer than I expected, and of course I was having so much fun I skipped the whole "hold it under the table to check for the glow" part.

I had a larger one also, but it split. The blanket works, but the basement is cool and isn't quite good enough. I have some vermiculite, but I always feel like I'm cramming the bead down into it, it never stays loose enough even with stirring.

Hear that Santa???

Darn, he's always watching the kids, I've been VERY good this year. Except for that last glass order. And the frit order. Oh, and that other frit order.....

Rona

LokiLoki
12-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by AutumnH
Ok, done now, I'll go calm down and try to get a few things done so I can play again tonight. Thanks for humoring me!
Rona

*CLAP* Way Cool Autumn. Very shweeeeet beads!

Glass TOO hot you say....
No wonder for 4 years I have been calling you HOT AUT! *snort*

L

StefaniBeads
12-04-2003, 12:20 PM
They're great beads! And I am jealous too, I hate EDP!

Flamekist
12-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Rona,

Those beads look great! Try using some really streaky opaque/transparent stained glass next time. I think you'll love the results!

On the last bead on the right in the last photo, what color did you use with the EDP? Is it rubino?

-Carl

LokiLoki
12-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Flamekist

* Loki smoochyhugglepounces Flamekist *

When did you get here?

Bout time!

L

Flamekist
12-04-2003, 05:20 PM
* Flamekist is officially smoochyhugglepounced and happily returns the favor *

I've been here, lady! Since Tuesday, anyway...

-Carl

LokiLoki
12-04-2003, 06:26 PM
* Flamekist is officially smoochyhugglepounced and happily returns the favor *

*swooon*

I've been here, lady! Since Tuesday, anyway... -Carl

Exactly WHO you callin' a 'lady'?

And I was kinda uh busy Tuesday... funeral and all that...

L

Flamekist
12-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by LokiLoki

Exactly WHO you callin' a 'lady'?

Well, my mistake, obviously! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by LokiLoki

And I was kinda uh busy Tuesday... funeral and all that...

L

:( Oops! I forgot about that! Fitting tribute you gave him, btw...

-Carl

tigerlil
12-05-2003, 12:15 PM
nice beads and effects autumn!

conquering the EDP is still a touch and go thing for me. Any tips from your experience?

AutumnH
12-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Heat the *$)%[email protected] out of it!
Truthfully it got pretty all accidental-like and when I went for a final polish it went all white and scummy. So I heated the whole bead to glowing and it went pretty again. The trick is to NOT put it back in the flame once you have it all glowy. To make sure I made a couple more and that was the trick. The final heat is full through, all bright orange glow, then remove from flame, and place in kiln/vermiculite/blanket.
I can't wait to do more. I haven't had time for a single bead since this post. *sigh*

Rona

latitude40
12-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Wow It's perfectly luscious EDP purple! Yummm...what's those pink spots?
Doh! *slaps forehead* The lucky socks! So that's my problem!

Karen

AutumnH
12-05-2003, 10:13 PM
The pretty pink spots are from the rubino oro frit from Aura Lens. Pretty isn't it?
Man I want to ditch my homework and make beads!!

Rona

NLC
12-06-2003, 01:46 AM
Fun fun stuff! I've done a little bit with stained glass - what I learned is those beautiful deep red colors? They look black until you hold them up to the light when they turn into a bead. :rolleyes: Just for reference, because I was sooo stoked, but then hey wait-a-minute where'd the cool color go!?

Also, as for putting them in the blanket or vermiculite too soon? I usually tap them with my pick to see if they're hard enough. I'm ok with most things, but ivory usually fools me and I think it's ok and a lovely precious bead gets fuglicized... Ugh. So if you tap it and see if it's hard, then you know it's ok to put in. Don't know if this will help...

Keep up the fun work!
Nikki

tigerlil
12-06-2003, 06:40 PM
hey rona!

thanks for the tip - that's pretty much what I do with edp, but never knew why or what was going on!

first I watch it get pretty, then i go back in the flame to do something else to the bead and it gets that ugly chalky look and then I come out and back in again and it gets pretty...

but when I try to encase it or anything else (add a dot of color to a flower) I lose it. Encasing is the worst -- it's all pretty & purple and then when I encase it I've got a really damn fugly bead!

I'm poor at encasing as it is! I put some photos up from my kiln batch yesterday (show and tell today) and i've got my last little bit of edp in it--I'm getting the hang of it!

liza