PDA

View Full Version : *virus Alert*

madmum
12-04-2003, 03:19 AM
I just received one of those fake paypal emails, and my virus scan flagged that it has a virus.

Subject: YOUR PAYPAL.COM ACCOUNT EXPIRES

Dear PayPal member,

PayPal would like to inform you about some important information regarding your PayPal account. This account, which is associated with the email address

(My email)

will be expiring within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, but this is occurring because all of our customers are required to update their account settings with their personal information.

We are taking these actions because we are implementing a new security policy on our website to insure everyone's absolute privacy. To avoid any interruption in PayPal services then you will need to run the application that we have sent with this email (see attachment) and follow the instructions. Please do not send your personal information through email, as it will not be as secure.

IMPORTANT! If you do not update your information with our secure application within the next five business days then we will be forced to deactivate your account and you will not be able to use your PayPal account any longer. It is strongly recommended that you take a few minutes out of your busy day and complete this now.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL! This mail is sent by an automated message system and the reply will not be received.

Thank you for using PayPal.

tiatfoaf

DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT! My virus scan quarantined it. Obviously don't reply either! lol

Ruth

Antoine
12-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the warning! What next...?

Lady Rando
12-04-2003, 08:53 AM
IMPORTANT! If you do not update your information with our secure application within the next five business days then we will be forced to deactivate your account and you will not be able to use your PayPal account any longer. It is strongly recommended that you take a few minutes out of your busy day and complete this now.

That part of the letter is a big red flag in itself. It's both a threat and insulting and I doubt PayPal would ever put it that way.

pampe
12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
I never even let those make my mailbox anymore.....have sent so many SPAMs to EBAY and PAYPAL, I figure it doesn't matter any more

So I have the MAILWASHER delete and BOUNCE them back

prtpix
12-06-2003, 08:01 PM
I am getting really sick of this Pay Pal Virus thing. I get 2 or 3 of them a day.
I'm sure I'm not the only one getting them.
You would think that the authorities would have caught up to them by now and put a stop to it.
I've been getting them for at least a week and a half every day and like I said, some times 2 or 3 a day.
My virus protection software always alerts me to it and asks if I want to Quarenteen it. But, Before this. My virus software just use to remove the attatchements that were bad.
I never open them or read them. I quick delete them as soon as I get them.