PDA

View Full Version : Moon & Sailboat

allanom
12-04-2003, 02:45 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-04-2003/4031_moonsailboat.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Moon & Sailboat
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 22 inches x 32 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
djaoiruc!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Elements work OK?

Wayne Gaudon
12-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Seems that the moon and boat are brighter than I would picture them to be but maybe that is what you intended to punch. If so, ignore me because it's a beauty anyway you look at it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/5946-boat.jpg

Linoxyn
12-04-2003, 09:30 AM
allanom, I like the punch of the moon and sailboat, though I would have liked to seen a bit of sparkle in the choppy water reflecting those lights. I can understand that these two elements could be mirages which would explain why there are no reflections because they would be beyond the horizon (the Moon may be a bit high for that though it's possible). The water could have used a band or two of colour changes denoting silt or differing currents. Did you happen to see the Colville works in the city last year? He did a number of night scenes with Venus and the Moon. You have a similar thing going on here.

jerryW
12-04-2003, 09:56 AM
the face in the clouds is my 1st guide,
second is the axis of moon and sb
the horiz & water makes a terrific ground
sb might be too clear (maybe)

xavier
12-04-2003, 02:21 PM
It's tough to disagree with a wonderful painter like Wayne
But you have done just the way I would have.
This is a real treat for my eyes.I just love your painting~Frank

Paintonbrush
12-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Bravo!
would love to see a close up of that moon

allanom
12-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey Wayne: Thanks for your observations. I think I'll leave the moon as punchy as it is, however, I concur on painting the sailboat back a touch.

Linoxyn: Some terrific suggestions I will give some serious consideration. Thank-you! Didn't see the Colville show you refer to (how did that happen?! Where was it held?) Did see a big retrospective of his at AGO back a decade or so ago. Loved that.

jerry: You always point out unconcious things I put in the clouds. Cool! Yeah.. and agree on the sb. Thanks.

Frank: Appreciate your positive feedback!

Diane: Hey sweetie. Thanks! Here's a close-up of the moon for you.

Linoxyn
12-04-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by allanom

Linoxyn: Some terrific suggestions I will give some serious consideration. Thank-you! Didn't see the Colville show you refer to (how did that happen?! Where was it held?) Did see a big retrospective of his at AGO back a decade or so ago. Loved that.

These 'Venus' works by Colville's were at Mira Godard Gallery just over a year ago - too bad you missed it... I was there at the AGO retrospective, remember me I asked him about his limited palette - he liked that question because most people ask him about the deep meanings in his works. He considers himself more a painter than an artist, though one of his latest works I posted here is one excellent composition. I think one of his best recent works.

ALEX COLVILLE
“Waterville” 2003
Acrylic polymer emulsion on hardboard
13 3/8 x 29 3/8 inches

Wayne Gaudon
12-04-2003, 10:55 PM
1 outta 2 ain't bad .. lol

Alex is quite the painter .. :D

mcknight
12-05-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm sure this must be very striking in person. The small digital image size probably lessens the impact. The extreme compositional simplicity is mysteriously captiviting.

allanom
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Linoxyn: Thanks for the Colville pic. That image is now my new fave of his. I work just around the corner, literally from Mira Goddard (in the ManuLife Centre, Bay & Bloor). Gotta keep track of the shows there, as she carries many of my favourite artists. Went to the gallery site and discovered I just missed Chuck Close, as well. Damn!!

McKnight: Yeah, definitely scale is important with this piece -- seeing it live is an improvement over the little digi-pic. I appreciate your comments!

aaasp
12-05-2003, 11:37 PM
I love the extreme brightness of moon and sail. That is what makes it so much more than real. The phallic swan in the sky just reminds one that it's all in the minds eye..;)

wolvenp
12-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Al,

I like the transition from sky up to cloud. What is strong is the grandeur of the cloud vs. the little boat. I think the edge on the moon may be a little hard/sharp.

Paul

allanom
12-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Anthony: Always valuable and insightful viewpoints. Thanks!

Paul: Appreciate your comments. I stand by the moon having a clean edge :O)).

giniaad
12-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey Allon!
lovely work, as per usual!
(the digital may not be showing correctly, too)
I think I might agree about the sail boat
if it is really that white...
perhaps a bright white
that's tinted with the moon's peachy/red color would suit
(especially if placed on the sail facing more upward
then a lighter blue tint to the rest, more vertical sail)
...just a thought...
and, of course, you know best...having it in person...

...s'wonderful!!!!...
massive, dreamy scene
very calming
almost as good as being on that sail boat.