07-23-2001, 12:27 PM
<CENTER>

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2001/apport.jpg

acrylic • Alla Prima Portrait • 17" x 14"
(please do not alter image)

</CENTER>

Fagan
07-23-2001, 01:50 PM
This is wonderful Chuck! I am not a portrait artist so would not be able to give you a very good critique...but I know what I like...*SMILE* this is very good work. The only thing to my untrained eye is the right eye needs more of an eyelid. This "alla prima" style has caught my attention....would like to try it.

ZOTMA
07-23-2001, 04:06 PM
I agree with Fagan about the eye, but you seem to have a signature way of dealing with eyes. I particularly like the treatment of the hair and the mouth/lines of the cheek. I can't tell you how much I love looking at your alla primas (I leave them Up at length). I guess I'll have to tell you every time you post one.

jerryW
07-23-2001, 04:49 PM
the seemingly unimportant activity in the upperleft corner of canvas gets echoed in the cheek and then the whole painting opens up nicely for me.

very satisfying.

jheinrich
07-23-2001, 07:23 PM
hey chuck-

I enjoy this one, especially the hair and the greys throughout ... I agree re: the one eye seems unmatched.

I would love to know the pallette that you use, especially if you are using a transparent white ...

thanks if ya care to expand.

j*

dornberg
07-23-2001, 07:25 PM
quite a strong composition,
and not such a simple one
the upper horizontal light
connected to the lower, thinnner, horizontal light
by the vertical light,
within which are contained three small facial darks,
like the three lark background darks
this strong construction contains
a diagonal from upper right to lower left

result - simple, strong, interesting

JeanineJ
07-23-2001, 08:09 PM
Thick and juicy portraiture... basically cool aura about your model seems to suit her... Sculptural feeling, well-established planes, colors in shadows are so well done! I know I shall be visiting her again...

Chuck
07-23-2001, 08:21 PM
Fagan: the right eye needs more of an eyelid.
Hmm, guess my eyes don’t have it at WC. Maybe I'll use your “tiny head” as practice.;)

ZOTMA: I agree with Fagan about the eye, but you seem to have a signature way of dealing with eyes.
Now that it has been mentioned, three time in this thread, the jpg (not so much on the original) is starting to bother me as well. Guess it was not that important with the alla prima time that I had available...maybe I'll work on it.

jerryw: the whole painting opens up nicely for me...very satisfying.
Thanks...when we can’t provoke, we aim to please.

jheinrich: I would love to know the palette that you use, especially if you are using a transparent white ...
No problem J* that was my 2000 acrylic palette (not all colors used in this painting)...
burnt umber, burnt sienna, yellow oxide, hansa yellow medium, hansa orange, napthol red medium, alizarin crimson, dioxazine purple, ultramarine blue, pathalocyanine blue, pathalocyanine green, neutral gray, unbleached titanium and “gesso” for white (that can look transparent with water), white of bristol board showing through too.

dornberg: result - simple, strong, interesting
Yeah, eyes aside, I kind of like it.

Chuck
07-23-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by JeanineJ
Thick and juicy portraiture... basically cool aura about your model seems to suit her... Sculptural feeling, well-established planes, colors in shadows are so well done! I know I shall be visiting her again...
How did I miss commenting on my good friend Jeanine's critique...
This model was definitely "cool" and very comfortable in her skin...she was indeed interesting to paint!

Gavinart
07-23-2001, 09:00 PM
Man, this portrait is SMOKIN'. Very expressive and loose. It's a great one. The purple in the hair from the background is a nice touch.

The only bit of feedback I could give is on the left shoulder where it is too wavy to be an accurate rendering, however, it works with the rest of the way you have handled this portrait.

Where did you find tis model? Art students league or private or ??

giniaad
07-23-2001, 09:58 PM
Chuck!...I LOVE THIS!!!
a real portrait done in this abstract manner...
the colors are used beautifully!
textures are involving visually.
MORE!!! :clap:

ginia

ps...some lids are more pronounced than others in some people...eye to eye that is...do the person the way they are, not especially the way they "should be"...know what I mean?

pps...have you tried using glazing medium with the acrylics for the transparencies? Water can dilute the paint too much and devalue their strength (not in color, but litterally, so they do not hold up as well)

Chuck
07-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Gavinart: shoulder where it is too wavy to be an accurate rendering...Where did you find tis model? Art students league or private or ??
Thanks Gavin! “Accurate rendering” has never been very high on my to do list. I think this model does work at “The League” but I painted her, last year, with an art group in NJ.

giniaad: MORE!!!, ps..., pps...
Hey Ginia, thanks for thumb-up “MORE” sure to follow.
ps... Yes, I do know what you mean!
pps... Sometimes the chemistry of art becomes the art of chemistry. I have trouble enough, staying intuitive, juggling paint let alone various mediums. I should not think...I must react!

Gavinart
07-24-2001, 10:57 AM
Chuck,

After viewing your website, I see this portrait holds true to your style. I enjoy your work a lot, very expressive and bold. Accurate rendering has not been 'high on my to do list' for some time as well. I believe this will lead to insights mechanical rendering cannot acquire. There is a time for everything!