PDA

View Full Version : Street Parking

Joi
12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2003/15254_streetparkingsm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2003/15254_streetparking.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Street Parking
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another similar to my last ("Marion St."). Quick, loose (for me anyway) acrylic. Trying to capture the memory but not getting picky with details.

I don't like the title, but I was having trouble coming up with something (and I don't remember the street name at the moment).

Oh, and if you will, ignore the easel peeking up at the bottom of the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

woodguy
12-02-2003, 10:50 PM
I really like the diagonals, your palette and the composition! Well done Joi, I like this series. There is something above the center most light that does bother me....that can't be the easel you are talking about? Anyway, it is distracting, but otherwise this is very nice. Jim

wolvenp
12-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Joi,

Cars are nicely painted. You see the near traffic light? Under that light is a window with a blue like the sky. There are other windows with that color on them. I think I would like to see more done with that color on the windows, in other words fill those windows with that color, and do more windows like that. Of course, you dont know if something will work until you try it.

Paul

artinoils
12-03-2003, 01:02 AM
I see a building reflected in the windows and blue sky above it...which is part of what makes this interesting...so would not change the windows to blue. I would lose the thing on roof above traffic light...imo, it's a distraction. Like this a lot as the other. Especially the bits of light.

jerryW
12-03-2003, 07:11 AM
the cars below and the signs and light above right ballance the comp so nicely

ordie4
12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Joi
Quick, loose (for me anyway) acrylic. Trying to capture the memory but not getting picky with details.

[/B]

this is exactly why it works so well, imo

o

Rabbit Twilight
12-03-2003, 10:13 AM
Yes, this is good! I like this series.
I've been trying acrylics lately but find that the colors dry kind of flat. Do you find that to be true?
What do you plan to use for a final varnish?

pero lane
12-03-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by artinoils
I would lose the thing on roof above traffic light...imo, it's a distraction.

Have to agree with the above....it's a little thing but other than that it's wonderful!!:clap:

dornberg
12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
what a fun bunch of color
in a unique composition

Paintonbrush
12-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Exceptional. Love viewing your work

Joi
12-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Thank you everyone for commenting! :D

Jim> Thanks! The encouragement I've been getting is giving me motivation to do more in the future for this series, I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I got rid of the thing above the light (it was some metal construction). And the esel I was talking about are those two rough bars in the lower left and center of the painting.

Paul> I do like the blue on the windows there, maybe it would look better on all the windows...but I also agree with artinoils. Hmmm... Now I just don't know what to do :confused: I'll think about it some more.

artinoils> Thank you! And I got rid of the distracting thing above the light :)

jerryW> Delighted it works!

ordie4> :D

Rabbit Twilight> Thank you, I hope I will be able to get a few more out in this series of acrylics before I'm through with it.
Yes I do find that acrylic colors try a bit flatter than expected at first. I keep that in mind and paint with a bit more intensity than I need, or go back over spots that really need to be highlighted.
I haven't really used varnish lately (a bad experience with it when I was in highschool), a habit I should probably get back into.

pero lane> Thanks! I got rid of that annoying thing, so worry no more ;)

dornberg> Thank you! I try to take some risks with my composition, don't always follow the formula. Sometimes it works. :)

Paintonbrush> :D More incentive to share it!

xavier
12-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Terrific painting! the thing that makes it all work for me is
the red brick building to the left! Nice touch

dolphinfire
12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
I love it, I don't think I would change it!:clap:

wolvenp
12-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Joi,

You ought to check-out Ken Auster. He does great city-scapes and I have learned from him. I wish I was painting like you are when I was your age. . . . I wish I was painting when I was your age!
Paul

stephanf
12-04-2003, 12:03 AM
great work...its done...move on to the next one...wish i did it..

midcoast
12-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Joi...I really, really like this! And I have to tell you that I normally DON'T like urban scenes OR acrylics. But you have a beautiful looseness and color sense to this piece that I absolutely love. You seem to have painted this the way I SEE it :) Kinda reminds me of the little town I grew up in (northern Illinois).

I'm undecided about the object on top of the building by the traffic light. I think the composition needs it (or something vertical up there), but maybe more to the left. Your call definitely...

Yes, your work does put me in mind of Ken Auster's work. Very nice!!

Nancy

xavier
12-04-2003, 12:51 PM
I came back to this excellant painting that I have admired
several times to point out at least what i think I see on my
computer in the windows.The windows are handled with
a deft touch.I see in them a building reflected from across
the street.Very nice touch.Don't change them or I'm afraid
you'll lose that. Your doing wonderful work!~Frank:)

Joi
12-05-2003, 01:21 PM
I appreciate the comments everyone! An aquaintence surprised me by buying this painting off me yesterday.

xavier> Thanks so much :)

dolphinfire> Thanks I won't be touching this anymore.

Paul> Thank you for the artist recomendation, I found his website, I can't wait to look through his stuff!

stephanf> Moving on! ;)

Nancy> Thanks, I'm delighted my painting transends your normal disinterest in urban scenes/acrylics!
I think I need to check Ken Auster's work now...

mcknight
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Nice, I like the fresh, loose handling of paint and the nostalgic familiarity of the composition.

roberj
12-05-2003, 01:54 PM
I like this one best of the series you have shown so far. I was undecided about the cross construction on top of the building, I liked it, but not the tangent placement, Congrats on selling the piece, that aint ever bad,

Bob

capricorne
12-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Love this painting, love the style

Toadie
12-06-2003, 09:54 AM
This is really vewry nice. I like when you can take something so mundane and make something of it.
Michelle

Joi
12-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Thank you mcknight, Bob, capricorne, Michelle, your comments are much appreciated! :D

Impulse
02-19-2004, 10:06 AM
gentle intersection
of planes
rythmic patterns
of shapes and
colour
multi directional lines
speak softly
quiet peaceful space
soft colour transitions
sparingly adorned