Dimension: 30 x 30 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
messing with last nights study ..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
whatever .. fire away.

xvallarta
12-02-2003, 09:02 PM
I liked this a lot better than most of the work you put on here. I particularly want to say that the addition of violet/purple/mave is a welcome addition to your pallet.

I would suggest that you add that "essential" color to your shadows.....all the shadows. Your shadows normally are black...and shadows are not black they are grey...of all shades...and colored...because of, the surface they fall on, reflected light and sky light.

The mixes of grey and color (most common color in shadows are shades of violet) could be added to your snow....but I liked the way the snow was painted on the tree branches.

In essense I liked your painting in a general way.

myles

Wayne Gaudon
12-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Your shadows normally are black

.. no, my shadows are made of different shades of darks .. I don't use black .. never have and never will. I would think that monitors make things look other than they really are as the digital camera condenses colors to color.

thank you for your time and comments.

leverettfinn
12-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Wayne,
I really like this one...The warmish background and the Neon blue snow on the left tree is great!

Lauren

damar
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
I feel like as I view this, I'm in the shade of the tree to the left and its COLD and I want to step out into the sunlit part of the landscape...nice effect!

stephanf
12-02-2003, 11:53 PM
ok this is a personal view that you may reject...thats fine...

but if this was mine i would knock down the contrasts to the darks...as they dominate the piece....i also realize like the other guy, we see them as blacks and I know they are not...

what I like as the better painting is to crop out the big tree on the left and look at the painting again...its more subtle in the inerplay of colors...your work reminds me of the impressionists but with alot of contrasts....this one has alot of light tones that are very pleasing and the darks seem to much and overpower them....to me and my personality...

so i offer this from my perspective not as a criticism...but respect you and your work.... you have displayed numerous studies to us that spur others to try to keep up with wayne...and have set a high benchmark...i only wish i was as prolific as you....

but like i said thats just a personal preference of what I would do it this were my painting....

Wayne Gaudon
12-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Laure .. thank you

Damar .. thank you

Stephanf .. thank you .. you view is your view and I appreciate it as it gives me things to reflect on and will help me develope. I am not defending this piece to the death but I will add my comments as to why things are the way they are to my way of thinking.

The big tree on the viewer left is what adds to the depth and allows you to enter deeper into a 2 dimensional surface. The tree color is a dark version of thalo/green/blue/red-oxide/yellow ochre. The next set of trees are probaly 3 values lighter and that makes them softer but with distance they should be. The one on the far right is again ligher and grey green/blue. I feel that the big tree is the anchor that allows you to be grounded but then again I am not one for thinking in a straight line.

The painting is big so we have to remember that the camera reduces color and shapes .. I know the darks look dark dark but when you look at the painting, the whole piece is in harmony. I take my pictures on the floor of my basement studio under floursent lights so that has a way of making things look a little off. I could dress the photos and make them look real good but I don't as I want to get as close as possible to the painting. Example being .. the blues in the shadows of the big tree are only half the intensity of the photo .. the camera knocks them up .. it does the same with reds.

I've added a detail shot .. as you can see, the tree has dark darks but there are a lot of middle values (red/green/blue/grey) among the darks and when seen in person your eye will finsih the painting and combine all the colors.

Thanks for your time and comments .. appreciate them as I am determined to get better with time.

jerryW
12-03-2003, 07:15 AM
nice use of color over neutrals
an unusual but realistic lighting emerges

Linoxyn
12-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Nice work Wayne!

I don't comment in this channel too often but your painting here brings up a good easy to see lesson about colour (that's if we are seeing a fairly good comparative representation here on our monitors). The relationship of the foreground trees and their high lights does not fit into the same scheme of colour/light relationship to the warm yellows in the background, and to the pink/mauve of the pathway. Can you see where these colour temperatures with their accents of light in these background forms could be changed to enhance their distance? The colours can be in the same ball park, with some adjustments they can sit better.

Wayne Gaudon
12-03-2003, 09:23 AM
thank you Jerry and Linoxyn

Linoxyn .. I don't but I sure would like to get a quick overview so I can understand and correct the situtation .. if you have a moment .. Please .. my intent was that the front was shaded and the back was light but I can see a misrepresentation in the distance factor as you mention .. I just don't see how to fix it without lightening the values and adding more cold but if I add more cold I lose the light .. at least I think I will .. open and listening.

Linoxyn
12-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Wayne there are many colour theories that can help sort out the lights and darks in a painting - the key is not that only one way is right but to make sure that the order one chooses stays consistent throughout the piece.

I've done a bit of an edit... below

Hard to do in a program but I tried to convey more warm accents to your shadows and cool reflexes on warmed up though fairly neutral lights. The same treatment on the background and foreground. It can be a hard thing to do with a palette knife too - I mean avoiding mud, though if care is taken you can alter these warms and cools and keep things lively.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Gaudon
12-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Linoxyn .. yes, that helps tons.

There are times when people say something but I don't understand it as I've had no training and I can't see where they are coming from. I try to explain where I am coming from in a hope that they can see my point of view and in that be able to have me see their point of view.
In this case, I can now see and I am happy I can. Suttle changes but very dominant over mood and distance. I see now that the dull sky adds much more interest to the trees and even though the trees are mostly shaded, they command a respect and greatly improve the 3D of the piece.

Perhaps this is exactly what myles and stephanf eluded to but I didn't understand what was said. That the case, I apologize for my dumbness.

When I get home I will rework this with color if I can and if not I'll scrape it and rework it and if that fails I'll trash it and do it again. This lesson will not be lost on me.

Thanks Linoxyn, Myles, Stephanf for lending some thought out advice.

later,

Alan Cross
12-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Love the colors I am a sucker for warm snow paintings...
Alan :)

pero lane
12-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Wow...that's really dressing this one up!!:D

Paintonbrush
12-03-2003, 05:45 PM
wonderful lessons for all.......wayne....you are moving along and improving tons.......