PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Time

rpaull
12-02-2003, 05:31 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2003/3894_FeedingTimeWC_copy.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Feeding Time
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I promised those of you that saw the Work in Progress to post the finished painting. here it is. I hope I achieved the light and color qualities that your comments suggested.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Thanks, Roger
www.yellowstonereflections.com

artbabe21
12-02-2003, 07:39 PM
This is absolutely gorgeous! Very moody piece...I must have been on my trip when this was posted before...love those reflections!!

Roger has the coolest looking gallery I hope to get over to see very soon! :)

xvallarta
12-02-2003, 09:12 PM
I would not stop working on this painting as it now stands. It needs the "master's touch." What is that....to bring the sky colors (nicely done) onto the land. You added them to the water but doesn't the sky reflect on the land, the tree, the moose as well?

There is a tried and true way to do this. It's called glazing. The application of well diluted colors in medium onto the subject at hand. Glazing has two divisions...one is called scumbling....you use opague paint...(paint that contains white)....to lighten...and glazing (paint without white) to darken. Glazes can be put on top of each other. You just let it dry between glazes. Here a bit of dryer (japan or colbalt) added to the medium will work wonders.

Then look at the painting and see where the light....the colored light.....( in your painting a reddish orange--a light orange--a light blue--a grey) would fall on the land, the tree, the moose. Suddenly you will start to see the moose and the tree having dimension. The land will begin to shimmer with the color...and a violet cast will add to the illusion of distance. Why violet? Because the red orange laid over the blue black will begin to have a cast of violet grey.

I strongly suggest you try glazing...once you do you will never go back.....

one guy's opinion

myles

painter1960
12-02-2003, 09:18 PM
Didn't see this as a WIP either, but I really like what you've done. I agree that just a hint or two of the yellows cast into the sky should be added toon the hills in the background. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. bobby

pero lane
12-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Nice work on the DEER :) , sky is beautiful!