PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Jerry Garcia

geckonia
07-23-2001, 12:19 AM
My second portrait. I used pencil on paper, then scanned it into photoshop to burn the shadows and tint blue. This took roughly five hours. I think perhaps it's still a bit flat.

geckonia
07-23-2001, 12:30 AM
Here's the pencil sketch before photoshop, and the magazine picture...

sandge
07-23-2001, 05:08 AM
I much prefer the before photoshop drawing. You've got some great detail on the beard, for example, which is just lost in the digital version - although that does have some drama to it.

So my suggestion would be to try to find a way to get some really black darks into your drawing - to increase the range of tones available to you which will give your drawings a zing. I would suggest that you ask about this in the drawing forum as there are many graphite and pencil experts who will be able to suggest the best combination of media.

In terms of the portrait I think you did a tremendous job. This is a big improvement on your first drawing! The only thing that really bothers me is the shirt which seems a bit flat.

Great stuff! :D

geckonia
07-23-2001, 06:24 PM
Thank you , Sandra, your insight is very valuable to me. I will break out those pencil sets that have been dormant for a decade and see what I can find. I agree, the Photoshop version is heavy handed, and I really should figure out how to darken with pencil in the first place! Thanks!