PDA

View Full Version : The Winter Herd

Creeper
12-02-2003, 07:21 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-02-2003/22252_the_winter_herd.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Winter Herd
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50 X 70 cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
I like the work of Wes Hyde and was inspired to try Bisons. Just for fun.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think: Composition, colors, technique. The photo is a little more yellow than the painting. The snow is actually white, Blue and Red

pero lane
12-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Nice! Isn't Wes' work great! Hump on far right buffalo may need a little attention (blending). Just a suggestion...how about some snowflakes/falling snow type of thing?:) I really like this!!:)

HRobinson
12-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Hey creeper. Wes is an inspiration to many of us.

You might think some more about the reflected light that the snow will throw upward and the cast shadow tone of the subjects.

The trailing left edge of your subjects also shows some redundancy in their appearance.

Even though Wes uses it, it's always a great theme. You also showed off with some impressive strokes in the facial features.

-Harry

xvallarta
12-03-2003, 07:29 PM
nice work. If I had any suggestions it would be to:

1. add more snow on the background animals especially on the muzzel.

2. Put a bit of violet in the snow mix. Try some glazes with the color. I think it might make the snow more interesting.

I do like the somber sky. A very welcome change from the light blue one sees on 80% or more of the offerings here.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

myles

xavier
12-03-2003, 08:30 PM
This is quite wonderful.Placement of the herd is just great!
The soft lighting gives the painting an other worldly
look to it.Very dramatic!

dolphinfire
12-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Looks good, I agree with the coment about the hump on the far right buffalo. I also agree with the more snow.

Wes Hyde
12-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Creeper, I love the painting, and of course, the subject! :D

Pero has a good point about the hump of the far right bison, and I would suggest abstracting the group of bison in the left side background. I love the bison toward the center... perfecto!

Wes

mcknight
12-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Very good rendering of the Bisons. There's something that bothers me about the sky - I think it's the clouds.

Dana Design
12-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Dave!

LOL and ROFLMAO!!!

Dana

giniaad
12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
the atmosphere is very ethereal
...I like the different lighting...
(you could change things, but it stands well as is...imho)
nice work!

Creeper
12-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Thank you all for commenting

@ Pero lane - yes you are right, Wes Hydes work is really great. I enjoy watching his paintings develop to their finish. You are right, the hump does need some blending. Right now snow is a little out of my leauge so rather than mess the painting up, I will leave snow flakes for another painting. Thanks for commenting.

@ HRobinson - I always like your comments. You have a good eye and I learn something from every critique you have given me so far. The reflected light, the redundancy in the Bisons on the left side will all be worked on. thank you for your comments and the compliment on the brush strokes.

@ xvallarta - it seems i got carried away on the forward Bulls and forgot about the ones in the back. I will have to work on that. As for glazing, I am still reading up on that but will try it as so as i feel confident enough to try it. thank you for the comment on the sky.

@ xavier - thank you for all the nice comments. I just tried to paint what i saw. I am prety happy with this painting too. I think i just got into a hurry trying to get it finished and forgot some things. Thaks for looking.

@ dolphinfire - I agree too. thanks for commenting

@ Wes Hyde - Thanks for taking the time to comment. Bisons are my favorite of the American plains herds. I had a chance to see them up close when my family was stationed at FT. Reiley KS. Since then i have aways like them. thanks for the comments.

@ mcknight - In a painting i posted before HRobinson told me that the clouds should loose definition as the near the ground. I forgot about that when i did the sky here. I thank you for your critique.

@ Dana Design - Who is Dave? thanks for looking???

@ giniaad - thank you for your nice comments.

Dana Design
12-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Creeper, this is a wonderful painting. I see no fault with it. The sky, the snow, the bison.....all very nice. I used to live just down the road from a bison ranch and will some day go back and paint them. I only hope to do as well as you have.

Dana