View Full Version : A few of your favorite things
12-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Since joining WC I have found my prioities shifting in the right direction, at least in a direction that makes me happy. I thought it would be great if we shared the things in life that make us happy, smile, inspired etc.
My favorite things that inspire me are:
the smell of a campfire
watching animals at dawn
the view from a mountain peak
a cup of coffee
waking up with nothing to do but art
9 hours locked in the studio
a child's smile
This web site:)
Hopefully this post will make us all smile.
the smell of watercolour and oil paints
a splashing table-top fountain
a fire crackling in the fireplace
cheesecake and chocolate
a hug from one of my children
the smell of cinnamon
doing things my way
guitar and recorder music...
12-03-2003, 12:41 AM
1) Spending time with my wife...even if we're just sitting on the sofa, talking.
2) Having an entire day to spend in the studio (either the art or the music studio), without interruption.
3) Being happy with a newly-completed painting or recording.
4) Having the time to really listen to new music.
5) Really good cigars, enjoyed with really good friends after a really good meal.
6) The particular quality of silence deep in the woods, on an extremely cold, extremely snowy winter's day.
7) A picnic in the park, with my kite in the air, and a (smuggled) bottle of good wine, on a cloudless spring day.
8) A really good live music performance.
9) Exceptionally high quality recorded sound.
10) Being pleasantly surprised that a new movie, book, work of visual art, or musical recording is really good...
12-03-2003, 10:33 AM
-holding my baby granddaughter,
-the squeal of fresh snow under my boots
-a new haircut
-the smell of Copal painting medium
-browsing through the art store
12-03-2003, 03:21 PM
- I'm too going to say browsing through an art store :)
- Flipping through old pictures I decided were unusable, and finding a way to use them
- watching the cacti I started from seed grow (it's a slow growth, but it's there!)
- Sitting on my stoop at 2am
- Hearing a record for the first time and being blown away
- Getting mail (I'm in a mail art group so I get really creative and inspirational stuff)
12-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Coffee in the morning
watching the sun rise
donating my time to the local soup kitchen
the nude figure
12-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Coffe in the morning
painting all day
a toasty fire on a cold night
Lots of blankets on the bed.:)
12-06-2003, 02:14 AM
*my family are my greatest source of joy and inspiration
*creating beauty..in any dimension
*the indigo colored sunsets
*the smell of toast
*the smell of clean, crisp air...ahhhhhhhh!
*reading a good book
*most flavors of Republic of Tea...I think I have sampled them all!
*feeling the warmth of the sunshine on my face...I love it!
*waking up energized after a good nights sleep
12-09-2003, 09:16 AM
the sound of my grandson's voice calling
the sound of my children calling "Dad!"
the sound of my wife speaking my name
the sound of my mother's melodic voice welcoming with the familiar "Hi sonny!" (I miss it since October 5th, 2002)
my one-year-old grandson's smile, when he looks me in the eye and breaks out in a grin
the photo of my grandmother Jean with her band
the photo of my grampa, Dominic, at the piano
the song Love One Another, and the value of what the lyrics really say
sunsets, sundogs and rainbows
crescent moons, quarter moons, half moons and full moons (preferably with drifting shrounds of thin cloud veils, moonshine on water or snow)
the smell of the Christmas tree
the smell of brewing coffee
the smell of time and old wood in the attic
the smell of new mown grass
the smell of fresh cut lumber
the smell of Hoppe's bore cleaner
the smell of baby's hair
the smell of the dog's fur when he has just come in from a cold dry day
the smell of snow in the air
thoughts of spring
the things around me, such as the china closet, the Victrola, the Mossberg .22, the brass bed, which have been handed down from generations past, giving those that have gone ahead of me a little taste of immortality, and the hope that I will enjoy the same honor
12-09-2003, 10:07 AM
The good ole' simpler things.
Coffee (Drinking, smelling, and watching it brew. I cant say coffee in the morning as I drink it all day long)
A hot cup of tea
My Boyfriend's smile
Playfully aggravating the boyfriend :evil:
My cats playful weirdo noises she makes when she's wild.
A coffee and a smoke
A diet soda and a slice of pizza!
Finding a hamburger that tastes like school burgers. (50% soy 50% beef Im still looking But it will be good when I do)
Pulling off a drawing that I wasn't sure I could pull off.
the smell of paint
Getting a new art catalog
Getting home from work; or getting home from work on a Saturday morning knowing that you will not have to go back until Monday night!
A worn out, beat up, two sizes too big tea shirt.
A good movie, or a good book
A computer or console game that they didn't ruin. Or a good classic game from child hood that you finally got running.
Sitting around the table with good friends and the boyfriend playing D&D, with finger food and soda pop. (coffee too)
Going to the library and finding an arm full of art books to bring home. (its like Christmas in july!)
There is more simple things but some have either already been covered by others :) and I don't want to bore you all. I like weird simple things too:D
12-09-2003, 10:25 AM
The neat thing about reading everyone's favorite things is I find favorite things that I forgot about !!!!
12-09-2003, 01:56 PM
- my husband's kiss (oh man!)
- pastel dust on my nose (an intense art day)
- paint under my nails (another intense art day)
- the smell of turpentine!
- snow so cold the sun makes it look like a bazillion diamonds
- a warm bath
- riding my motorcycle to a new (or forgotten) place
- painting that place
- my daughter saying "I love you, mom" for no reason
- selling a painting!!! (this is a big one)
- getting a commissioned work from the sale (even bigger!)
- my grandson saying, "you do good art, gramma"
- my piano, my easel, my home...
and few more things :D
Walking in the woods with my dog.....
A cold winters evening, snow is falling (can't believe I just said that!)
The sound of the ocean
laughing with my kids
My cat curled up next to me, a little heatball.
Jumping into water and swimming under as far as I can go.
Realizing that I can still paint.
Seeing old freinds, people I knew as a kid and sharing stories.
Tea and chocolate.
Finding out you're not too old...for anything!
12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
ohgoddyesss! let us NOT forget CHOCOLATE!!
you DO know it is a major food group, as well as being an essential amino acid for a woman's system...
12-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Liam's dimpled cheeks
seeing son as father
a painting that reveals the painter
getting lost in the contours and shadows of a human face
The smell of Autumn leaves
corduroys and warm socks
12-11-2003, 11:58 AM
...standing in the woods outside Montreal with my hand outstretched (and freezing cold!), and having chickadees fighting to come sit on my hand to peck at unsalted sunflower seeds!
...sitting on a parkbench , and laughing until I thought I'd die.
....wetcanvas (who I owe for changing my life, and making it possible to feed birds in Montreal and laugh my head off on a parkbench)
vBulletin® v3.5.8, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.