PDA

View Full Version : A Pansy Commission

Helen Simon
12-01-2003, 07:40 PM
A good friend called me the other night and asked for a pansy necklace (that's what my sweet friends call my beads strung on rattail),and here's the result. I'm having so much fun layering transparents over opaques, very much like watercolor, but, boy, do they get big quick!! They're for a big woman, so she's strong enough to carry them. Love, Helen, just showing off again...:)

Helen Simon
12-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Like that suspense? Here she is...

Lori Peterson
12-01-2003, 07:48 PM
WOW, Helen! That suspense was definitely worth the wait!!!! Those are amazingly realistic looking. I think they are divine....

redhotbeads
12-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Helen, those are fantastic! Nice work!
Kelly

glassyeyed
12-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Oh, Helen! They are beautiful. They make me think of my mom....

craftylady
12-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Helen thank you for sharing such beautiful florals. Those colors are so cool. I really like the bottom left floral. What a lucky friend.

Helen Simon
12-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Glassies! You know, one good thing I just realized about selling our newborns on ebay, is that we get to keep them for a week! I'm kinda' sad about letting this one go sooner than that, so took pix for memories...baby pix;) Love and off to torch, but thinking about coming to Austin soon...Helen

koregon
12-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Helen, those are beautiful!
your the best glass gardener I know of..you have such a unique quality about yourself!
Just beautiful work!

bluelizzy
12-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Those are really beauties. I love your flowers, just bid on one of your roses. I hope I get it.

margaretz
12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Those aren't pansy (as in wimpy) pansies! :-)

the set looks great- the purple pansy is my favorite...

Nonie
12-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Wow! Beautiful!

glassdude
12-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Helen!
Jacqui

growinginspirit
12-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Helen,
Those are just gorgeous.

We have a bed that we planted with pansies and impatiens, and later in the summer the impatiens grew huge (over 18" tall) and smothered all the pretty pansies. Anyway, one day I was out there, and among the brilliant pink, yellow and white impatiens was this lone vibrant purple pansie sticking his head out between all those tall impatiens!!

It was so wonderful to see him (or her)!! Now, here it is December 1, the impatiens all died in the freezing night air a few weeks ago, and there is the lone purple pansie, still blooming and still holding on!!!

Thanks for the reminder to go out and say hello to my purple pansie!!

Sue:)

Zonnestraaltje
12-02-2003, 08:45 AM
Helen...

I love watching your work. Your beads are as if they were plucked right out of an oil painting. When I see them, there is a song that always comes to mind, and a scene from "What Dreams May Come" that starts to stream through my thoughts. For me, that's a really deep emotion...and looking at your work always seems to bring it out every time. I can't describe it. Anyway, this set has really struck that cord again, but more so than anything else. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Jinx.Garza
12-02-2003, 09:45 AM
I am so NOT a floral person, but geez, those are enough to convert me! Gorgeous! :clap:

Jinx

mardi
12-02-2003, 10:02 AM
Those are LOVELY Helen! When are you coming to Austin? You really want to brave the insane driving and traffic????

:evil:

Mardi

Helen Simon
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi Mardi, and thanks all for liking my work! I'm crazy about glass, as I'm sure you all are!
I'm coming to Austin the week before Christmas to Armadillo Christmas Bizarre...I wanna' see some gorgeous art and have heard that's the place to go. AND I'm coming to meet y'all at your Dec. meeting, Fireflies!! I have 2 sisters living there I need to visit, too. We'll stay in a cheap hotel, probably like a Motel 6, where doggies are welcome, and maybe drive up to see Lake Travis one day.
I used to live in Austin 30 years ago, when I was a patchwork cowboy shirt maker, and the traffic was even crazy then, although more now...I only rode a bike then, very carefully...this is our first family trip in our new car, and first vacation in over a year...can't wait to meet y'all! Love, Helen

toozygoot
12-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Helen - I think these are my favs of all time! I love the way you paint with glass! Glad you got a baby pic before they went on their merry way!

pat

ValorieCox
12-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Helen, you have such a knack for whimsical, colorful, sculptural glass! So nice to see a pansy in the actual form, rather than embedded in a round bead. :clap:

Val