PDA

View Full Version : Nanas' Things

madmum
12-01-2003, 06:17 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2003/10535_Nanas_Things_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2003/10535_Nanas_Things_top_closeup.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/12-01-2003/10535_Nanas_Things_bottom_closeup.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Nanas' Things
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 15 x 22
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Things that remind me of my grandmother, the biggest influence in my life. The teacup was hers, and the buttons, ribbons and lace represent the little shop she had selling haberdashery, wool, and huge ladies' bras (not a great subject for a painting! LOL)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Cross posted in watercolour forum and still life forum, would appreciate your views on composition too.

marilyn h
12-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Watching this thread in Watercolor and found it to be most pleasant. It is very well done. I find it so inviting and beautiful.

mckittre
12-01-2003, 09:40 PM
I like this.

I especially like the composition. The ribbon and lace wind me through the painting, and lend more movement and energy than I usually see in still lifes. Which I think is wonderful.

The strong contrasts and colors also work well.

Flattwo
12-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Hello Ruth

The composition appeals to me greatly as does the cup and saucer which are superbly painted, I know that type of old saucer not round but squared off I believe, this is difficult to execute but you acheived it admirally indeed.

Maybe the buttons could be grounded a bit, or maybe its an optical illusion.

1st class and very accomplished piece of work

Henry

PS I did not follow the WIP, I'm not a good traveller but love the destination

artbabe21
12-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi Ruth--almost missed this---where have I been?

SO beautifully painted, a real winner as far as comp, colors........the feel of it. Great job! :)

I have things from my nana too who was here til she was 103! Ought to paint them in memory!

pero lane
12-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mckittre
I like this.

I especially like the composition. The ribbon and lace wind me through the painting, and lend more movement and energy than I usually see in still lifes. Which I think is wonderful.

The strong contrasts and colors also work well.

Beautiful!!:clap:

salmon
12-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Well painted. What a nice way to keep your grandmother's memory alive. Like the lace in particular.

madmum
12-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Thank you Marilyn, Mckittre. :)

Henry, now you create a problem for me! The saucer is a deep, round one, not squared, so I messed up somewhere! I'll take a look and see what I did, my suspicion is the little sliver of white under the front edge. I'll see if I can ground the buttons too.

Here we go again, trying to remember names...... Cathleen? You should paint your nanas' things, I felt I was watched over while I painted this one, wonderful feeling! Thank you!

Thanks, Pero :)

John! Thanks for dropping in. The lace worried me, but it was easy in the end, the trick was to just draw the basics and then right at the end negative paint the lace by filling in the holes :) Thank you!

Ruth

Flattwo
12-02-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi Ruth

Round or not round it looks good as it is, I like the shape it is

Henry