PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: When White Isn't White

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 02:05 AM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: When White Isn't White
Project Leader: kyle
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

When you look at an object that would be considered white – snow, clouds, an egg, a white flower – is it truly white?? In nature, is there ever a true white??

In the Project we will explore this question by challenging you to paint a pastel (either soft or oil) using the reference photos, OR if you don’t find a subject to your liking, please be sure your chosen subject is mostly white.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RULE IN THIS PROJECT - DO NOT USE ANY PURE WHITE PASTEL - anything other than white is allowed.

Here is one suggestion - Focus on creating warm or cool whites using contrasts with value and color.

Please comment on your paintings in the project thread after you submit them, so that your entry will be brought to our attention. Be sure to list your medium (either soft or oil pastel), surface, size, and colors used.

The paintings you submit for the project must not be previously worked pieces.

Most of all enjoy the project and have fun!

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=592)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

E-J
12-01-2003, 02:08 AM
Arrghhh! so many projects, so little time!! I can't resist your fantastic selection of ref photos, Kat ... you've ensnared me :)

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Hi E-J: I know, I know - there are so many fantastic Projects that it seems overwhelming.

This is our Pastel Forum December Project - so I decided a white subject would be appropriate and tried to pick photos to work from that are not totally wintery as we have lots of people from south of the equator who are in their warmer months.

I'm glad you found the photos to your liking - have fun!

Kat

Dark_Shades
12-01-2003, 12:23 PM
tooooo right....... tooooo many GOOD projects around at the mo lol ...... Ive signed up, not sure when I can make it in here though :(
..... love the images Kat...... good one ....... I think though it will be too hard for me.... I know I will have to resort to WHITE somewhere in one of them :D
..... got my eye on a few ....... a lady at work has just enquired about a commission for a white cat :cat: ...... lovely ref pic there as well

.... Great theme as well Kat

J. Harris
12-01-2003, 07:07 PM
A: When you're using pastels, of course.
looking forward to this one!
Maybe I can finish it befor the 31st. HA, yeah, righht.:clap:

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Oh, no, Dawn is "white" challenged!! Get on your glasses, girl, and really look at those photos - is there anything there that is truly white?? That rose has a lot of creams and yellows in it, the iceburg has lots of blue!

I've toyed with the idea of making small Christmas cards from some of these -

J. Harris: The time on this is unlimited - just enjoy the Project and don't worry about rushing it. Upload somes WIP's as you go along and it will feel like you are progressing along. :D

Dyin
12-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Kat...nice project!! No promise, but I do like the look of that kitty. Only trouble is I'm losing my workspace for the holidays, but will try...

Mo.
12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Kat I was sure I posted a message here, but with the state of my computer at the moment, who knows what happened.:)

Just wanted to thank you for doing this month's project, I've signed up, but it may be a little while before I do anything, but I certainly will.

Mo.:)

Tap
12-01-2003, 08:56 PM
I'm brand new here... my account just activated and I'm browsing... I love this project. I'm thinking of jumping in. I need something to get my butt moving and using all the lovely pastels I've been getting.

I'm looking for guidance on a couple of things...

First, some advice on a way to paint in a rented apartment with, heaven forbid, a white carpet. Lately I've been painting semi-plein air... semi because I sit in my truck at the end of a dead-end road and paint the sunset... I've even painted with the dome light on so I can see the color I'm looking for and have minimal light for blending. Surprisingly, when I've stopped at a friend's I've got something worth keeping... sooooo, now how to paint where I have to worry about the carpet :rolleyes:

Second, is there a normal time frame that people take. I look at the photos and think that it wouldn't take long for me to do a couple of them considering I have this terrible can't-stop-painting-for-days-once-I-start addiction... The only escape has been the painting in the truck and leaving my pastels locked out in the cold when I come home. LOL

I'll welcome any arm twisting to get me moving :p

Tap

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Sue: Not to worry, the Project has an unlimited time on it - so whenever you are ready.

Mo: Thanks for the hype in all the Forums - I appreciate it. Now, I have to get busy and work on some pieces too!

Tap: I am honored that you chose my Project to get yourself moving on using your pastels! As to the white rug, pastels are inherently messy, but I'm sure folks will have some suggestions. I would suggest some plastic over the rug, but you can get pastel dust on your shoes. Can anyone else help!!

Time frame on these can be quick sketches to very detailed paintings, whatever you are comfortable with. I've actually done some Projects rather quickly, but keeping in mind that I will use them for a more serious painting later on.

k9artist
12-01-2003, 10:02 PM
ooohhhh...I think I might have to have a go at this one..the kitty is screaming velour paper!! My favorite!!
Dana

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Isn't that the most delicious looking white cat - I can't wait to get started on him too Dana.

:D

J. Harris
12-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Tap;
Try this:
Lay a COTTON painters drop cloth under the area you're painting.
Make it BIG. Spray lightly with water before you start. Don't walk on the drop cloth, pick up the end in front of your easel and tie it around your waist. (belt?) so you have a large apron (damp) and you don't walk on any dust. When you're done, undo the "apron".
Can you tell I painted for years on a "champane" colored carpet?
Not perfect, but do-able.

Tap
12-01-2003, 11:03 PM
AAARRRRGHH!!!!

My printer is printing everything with a mauve or hot pink cast to it... but still I think I've got it narrowed down to 3 pictures... first choice is the trees and those beautiful shadows, then the snowy street and maybe the cabins in the snow... and I love the cat. My problem is that I'd probably have the shortest membership on record for my interpretation of that beautiful cat. Can we all say *FLAT CAT*? :confused: :cat:

Guess I'll go sign up and dig out the box of papers... I knew there was going to be a reason for that indulgence. I didn't know what I'd do with any of it, but I *HAD* to have it. LOL

Please tell me I am NOT the only one with this addiction!!!

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-01-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanks J. That's a great idea.

I'm also thinking of getting a couple of heaters for either out in the garage (aka: storage bay #1) where I have to clear a space for my car or down in the basement. But that involves a 140 mile round trip to the big city for heaters... and/or the drop cloth... I really need to go check out the Ace Hardware & True Value out.

I love living in rural Montana, no crowds, very little pollution or crime, only a few malls... lots of inspiration for painting.

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-01-2003, 11:24 PM
I'm with you. I'm 60 miles from any art store.
Quiet, beautiful, other people come here for vacation. (I'm at the base of Mt. Rainier) BUT.......
You can't just go out and GET something.
I've found that painting and being bone cold does NOT work for me. If you're a brave soul do it. I happen to like my wood stove and hot tub. (A lot) My studio is unheated which is great in the summer but a bummer on a 35 deg. day with gray rain.
I see you're in the Rockies. Makes me feel like I'm whinning about the cold.
Can't wait to start. I think I'll start with a polar bear and move on to the cat.
Jeanette

Dyin
12-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Tap...you can also fold a piece of paper in a u shape and put it at the bottom of the piece you are working on...it'll catch a lot of the dust...and for cheapies you can get one of those paper table clothes and put it underneath while you're working and wear some easy on, easy off slippers that you can leave in the area. And yes...everyone here is addicted...:D
Now get crackin on this project!!! (Some of us are bossy too lol!)

Kathryn Wilson
12-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Just got done watching The Horse Whisperer, which was shot out in your part of the country. Wonderful, wonderful painting country - but I am spoiled by living in the same town as Jerrys Artarama.

I know, I know I should have been working on the Project - but one has to have a little down time too.

Yes, Tap, we are addicted - we came into the world that way.

Tap
12-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Jeanette, can I come visit? I'd love a woodstove. I'm not big on hot tubs but that's only cause I've never had the opportunity. But I'm willing to try anything at least once. Twice if it's got chocolate involved. Three times if there's paint involved.

Oh for Dyin out loud... Yes Master. Keep that whip handy, and while you are at the bossy stage, can ya figure out a way to hit the off switch on MY computer from there? That's my other addiction. LOL

Going now to try to select paper... have a brand new box of Sennelier 80 1/2 sticks... a nice wood box of Daler-Rowney's, 2 sets of pastel pencils, AND new but badly beaten up box of Mount Vision pastels. @#%&% Artbin box... it did NOT protect my pastels and the cops refused to swear out a warrant for attempted murder... or even for at the very least, assault and battery!!!!

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-02-2003, 12:01 AM
May the Saints help all our families.
In the winter all my "Stuff" is in the living room, dining room, bed room, kitchen, and ALL the kids who are in college rooms.
My poor, poor suffering husband.
Stuff= watercolor, pastel, oil, and heavens above, not even here yet........ egg tempera.
j

Tap
12-02-2003, 12:17 AM
You're right, Kat, it is beautiful painting country here. I did more painting in a few months than I did for several years. You can always come for a visit. I haven't been here long, but I'm fast learning great places to (and don't take this wrong)... to go parking... LOL Now if I could just find me a cowboy who liked painting and wanted to take me up on that offer I'd truly be in heaven.

I've seen guys out here in western wear that is very much the normal style here and my fingers itch to learn how to draw human anatomy... there is just something about the cowboy hat, the big droopy mustache, the silk bandana, boots, jeans and faded work shirt....

Just 20 miles from home is an old stage stop, crumbling log & sod cabins used for the line shacks for cowboys riding the range, STEEP sided canyons topped with a blindingly blue sky with dirt roads bordered with sweet smelling sage, and the colors of the sky defies ALL the mediums to produce a set of pigments complete enough to capture the glory.

Most of the roads around here are what I call "Montana paving" meaning dirt and gravel so you can go anywhere and paint "old" pics without having to worry about blacktop spoiling your inspiration... and there aren't a lot of above ground utilities either.

I'd love to figure out how to arrange a painting expedition out here. I'm only 140 miles west of Yellowstone, shorter if they could get a round THROUGH the mountains... Grand Teton NP isn't much further really... I live at 5220 ft elevation, and we have peaks that are over 11,000 all around us... Summers are dry and usually clear. Average summer temp is around 85 here, tho last summer we had 3 solid weeks of +100 degrees.

Y'all c'mon out, now, ya heah...

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Sounds like me... In one corner of my room is my computer table with 2 romance WIPs, in the opposite corner is my art table with a rolling tower of 6 drawers holding all my acrylics and in the 3rd corner is the watercolors and the pastels AND my books that I plan to read or have just finished and need to trade in at the Paperback Exchange...

speaking of which... I don't know about the rest of you, but here in Montana, we have a place called Paperback Exchange. Half the store is used paperbacks of every genre. The other half is NEW hardcovered book, also of every genre... including ART books. I've gotten some great books on pastels and watercolors for between $4 and $18. I've passed up on the $20-$30+ books for now but they have them... they are all marked pretty much 30-50% off.

Out in the garage are the boxes of Decorative Painting books and my assorted wood, tin & slate painting surfaces. Attached is the pic of a friend's back... Like I said in my profile, I'll paint on ANYTHING...

Traded in the husband 5 years ago, kept the cat. He doesn't complain about me ordering supplies from dakotapastels.com or danielsmith.com, well not as long as his food bowl is full anyway...

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-02-2003, 12:45 AM
Tap;
Oh my god! Please post pics!
Cowboys, mountains, rivers, pastures, anything [email protected]$%^&!
Especially cowboys.
My #2 son is playing baseball in Arizona. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I took 10 days to help set up his dorm room and got to paint in between. Met some great/wonderful/inspirational painters there.
Did you know they SCHOLARSHIP rodeo athletes in AZ????
I LOVE long vistas!
I remember driving through Yellowstone as a kid with my parents. Talk about memorable!
My husband gets paid as an electrical engineer but has the heart of a photographer. Wouldn't think of trading him in, (he wired the hot tub, after all!)
Love cats, but have wonderful foo foo little dog. Shi Tzu (10lbs) She goes with me everywhere. Here's painting of her (wip) in egg tempera.
I have 3 boys, 23, 20, and 18.
Please post pics!
Jeanette

Tap
12-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Jeanette,

They scholarship cowboys here in Montana too. The rodeo team at the U of M-Western is bigger news almost than the football team and that is only depending on the time of year and where you go in town.

I've got lots of pics to post somewhere. :p ...LOL I also have 20+ rolls of film that I shot when I moved here, most of it over 1 weekend. Now I have to find the money to afford to have them developed. Turned out to be about 1 or 2 payments on my car.

I've got to get me out on the road where that stage stop is and do some painting. I'm just afraid the car will overheat and I won't be able to get back to town. The only good thing about this time of year is the baby snakes (the ones that play with rattles) are sleeping...

No husband, no kids... thought I'd have both when I moved to MT but he turned chicken... lately I realized I really only wanted his kids. LOL They are really a couple of great boys.

I love the WIP of your dog. I don't think I want to try egg tempura, haven't figure out what exactly it is and I'm afraid of acquiring a new addiction.

Any time you want to come see Montana, let me know. I'd love to have a painting partner even for a long weekend. If you like cowboys you should plan to come over for the Labor Day Rodeo and Concert. Last year, Charlie Daniels was here. I forget who was here this past Labor Day. I have to find the WIP of a friend of mine riding a bull... it's a pastel that I started a year ago this past Thanksgiving right before supper. I thought he was gonna cry when he saw it. Funny thing is that I can only fit the bull and him from the waste down on the paper... oops. LOL

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Love your painting! Charcoal??
My kid AZ says all the cowboys are crazy!
He plays baseball and lives on the edge, but he says "them boys are crazy!" Makes me a believer!
Would love MT!
If you get to the coast let me know. We can meet at Daniel Smith, (where allllll my disposable income goes)
Just got in from "the tub" 40 degrees and drizzle. Sun might come out tomorrow. If we're lucky.
Got to hit the sack.
Talk in AM before work.
J

janetpoole
12-02-2003, 06:07 AM
Have signed up for your project. As this is my first I am not entirely sure what to do with my piece as and when it is finished, but I am sure someone will tell me (!)

Looking forward to taking part.

Janet
:confused:

Kathryn Wilson
12-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Hi Janet: When you have something you want to post to this Project, go to the Project page and pull up "My Projects" and you will see your list of Projects you signed up for. Open up the one you want to post to, then click on Add Progress entry and then follow the form. If you need help with uploading a photo, just PM me or ask in the forum.

Kathryn Wilson
12-02-2003, 07:31 AM
Hi Tap and J. Harris: Sounds like you two are getting along just fine!! The Pastel Forum has a wonderful "Weekly Scumble" that I am sure all of our members would love to join in on this conversation about Montana and Washington.

In the meantime, I am not seeing any Progress photos from you two!! (me either for that matter, I just spent a 1/2 hour reading your posts).

Guess I gotta get out that whip again - LOL!:evil:

leojacko
12-02-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by janetpoole
Have signed up for your project. As this is my first I am not entirely sure what to do with my piece as and when it is finished, but I am sure someone will tell me (!)

Looking forward to taking part.

Janet
:confused:

Hi Janet

Welcome on board !! :D

This is a great place for inspiration & new ideas, I've become an addict since I joined.

Think that we have met at Ayton in the past.

Leo [aka Nina]
:cat:

caroline65artist
12-02-2003, 01:42 PM
can't wait to try this one, It will be my first and what a challenge. It will be hard though because I always use white somewhere. so here goes
:cool:

Kathryn Wilson
12-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Welcome Caroline!! If you get to a place in your Project that you need some help, this is the place to get it!! Just email and you will get plenty of help.

Mikki Petersen
12-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31233

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/14941/tn_aspens-2-a.JPG

Good start!

janetpoole
12-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by leojacko

Hi Janet

Welcome on board !! :D

This is a great place for inspiration & new ideas, I've become an addict since I joined.

Think that we have met at Ayton in the past.

Leo [aka Nina]

Well hello Nina - small world - literally!
I can see how this gets addictive. Looking forward to participating. So far have only used pastel for portraits so this will be my first attempt at landscapy type things.
Really like the streetlamp snow scene. Reminded me a bit of Atkinson Grimshaw and his lovely evening lit paintings of Scarborough.

I posted a portrait in the structured crit forum a couple of weeks ago.

Regards
Janet

:)

Tap
12-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31233

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/14941/tn_aspens-2-a.JPG

I like it! I like it! I felt like I was shivering... and thinking of the white birches in the Adirondack Park in northern NY... I've never been there in the winter, but I have seen those trees before...

Very nice beginning, Kat. I don't suppose that was the sting of the whip I just felt. LOL

Tap ;~D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
12-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Well, Tap, how could I say anything about anybody else until I posted something! Working on the iceberg tonight.

J. Harris
12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Blame it on the late night.
As soon as I get home from work I'll put my nose to the easel.
Appologies to all!
Jeanette

Kathryn Wilson
12-02-2003, 08:32 PM
No apologies needed! I was just kidding around - we do alot of that in this Forum :D

Tap
12-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31240

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/14941/tn_iceberg3-a.JPG

Wooo hooooooooo!!! You go GIRL!!! I love the water especially, but I have a thing for those deep blues. I like your WIP better than the photo. You have great dimension and depth going, Kat.

Tap ;~D

Mikki Petersen
12-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Tap! Welcome! All you need to learn to navigate around here is a few more sessions of just browsing and soon it will be so natural you will wonder how it could ever have confused you.

Go ahead an use you Canson, Nothing wrong with it, except that it fills up with pastel dust pretty quickly where other papers will take more layers. I am currently working on a piece on Canson, the smooth side, but I used some really fine grade sandpaper to bring up a knap first and that is working pretty well. One thing you cannot beat about Canson is the price!

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Mikki Petersen
12-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31240

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/14941/tn_iceberg3-a.JPG

Look out Titanic, Kat's creating icebergs! Brrrr! You sure are a cold lot, LOL. This is an excellent work, very believable.

Dyin
12-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Nice, kat!!! didn't know you could use cream...hmmmmm.

Kathryn Wilson
12-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Hi Tap and Impete: I actually was not sure how to go about this one, but once I put in the water and the sky, the colors in the iceburg started to come out. This actually was fun to do.

Dyin: Anything other than pure white. I used a yellow/cream - closer to a light yellow than cream - trying to show sun shining on the ice.

Mikki Petersen
12-03-2003, 02:00 AM
It worked well, Kat. The berg simply glows.

Kathryn Wilson
12-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31249

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/20152/tn_white_cat_pastel.jpg

Dana! Wow - you solved the problem of how to do a white cat. This is a wonderful start and in my opinion quite finished. I went to bed last night pondering on just how to do this one and not use white and knew that it was not going to be easy. Thanks for taking on the challenge!

Tap
12-03-2003, 12:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31249

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/20152/tn_white_cat_pastel.jpg

This kitty is great! I feel like if I move she'll turn her head and look right at me. I love that eye...

I think the only thing your whiskers need is a little depth behind them and then make them thicker, like the brow hairs are... they look a bit thin, but otherwise you've got a beautiful kitty.

Tap ;~D

Mikki Petersen
12-03-2003, 01:17 PM

My laptop does not provide the best possible image but this looks very good. About the whiskers, usually there is a pore kind of thing at the base of each whisker. Little dots of shadow there would "ground" the whiskers. Excellent job!

k9artist
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Thanks Kyle ..Tap and 1mpete!! I think I really should bump up the colors in this..but I am a big chicken..and pretty new to pastels..I will..however work on the whiskers!
TY
Dana

k9artist
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31240

This is wonderful!!! That would have been WAY scary for me to try..you did an excellent job!
Dana

cjkelly
12-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Great entries here. Being the chicken I am, I thought I'd sit and see how the pro's handled the theme :D before I had a go.
Can't wait to see more....

cj

Kathryn Wilson
12-03-2003, 04:11 PM
:eek: CJ: no lurking, just doing. We are far from experts - just people having a good fun with pastels. Join us won't you?

Mo.
12-03-2003, 07:19 PM

Interesting start Kat with those warm colours, I'm so interested to see how this turns out.

This is one of the pics I've saved to do, just like the simplicity of it.

Mo.
12-03-2003, 07:21 PM

This is going to be a stunner Kat, the water is brilliantly done :clap: so smooth cold and icy!

Dark_Shades
12-04-2003, 12:54 PM

Dana... that eye is totally Stunning !!!..... well done

Dark_Shades
12-04-2003, 12:56 PM

Fantastic work Kat...... I will have to watch how you guys all do this before I enter lol

.... well done...... brilliant job kat :clap:

cjkelly
12-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31341

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/26542/tn_Lake_Malaren_Snow_582.JPG

Ouch! Kat.....should have warned you that arm is already in a sling - you could have twisted the other one :D :D

Lucky it's my left arm that's out of action so I can still wield a pastel stick....:)

cj

Mikki Petersen
12-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31341

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/26542/tn_Lake_Malaren_Snow_582.JPG

Another frozen subject! And another beauty, too! Anyone going to do vanilla ice cream?

Tap
12-04-2003, 10:52 PM

Beautiful... I love the feeling of the shadowed foreground and the sunny hill and the water in the the distance. Great colors!

Tap ;~D

Kathryn Wilson
12-05-2003, 03:36 PM

I like this alot!! Wonderful use of yellows to show sunshine on snow. Looking forward to seeing this one completed!

sundiver
12-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31413

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/6393/tn_katsproject.jpg

I did this on mauve tagboard and didn't use my usual clear pastel ground. Doh! How do I get the lightest values when I can't use the white of the paper? Well, I had to do a bit of an underpainting in - badbadbad- white. I immediately covered it up with yellow and peach so there's no white showing.
Am I disqualified? I'll delete it if I am. I should have used the pumice ground; then the pale yellow would have been opaque, but it wouldn't show light enough this way.

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31413

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/6393/tn_katsproject.jpg

Nice one! I don't see any reason to disqualify - your final colors were not white.

Isn't it wonderful that every person who posts to this Project will see different colors in the white of the subject. I can't wait to see what else you come up with on the same pix that I've done.

guilliame
12-06-2003, 04:41 PM
i use white paper:evil: :D lol.

Kat,just seen this,some nice entries so far,seems a wicked project,but have signed up,so how about it,i guess it's cheating using white paper lol but i would not have used any whute pastel.

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Guilliame: I've had a number of people PM me on the white paper thing - if you use white paper as white, how do you learn to use something other than white for a white? Fool the brain into thinking it is seeing white.

I have learned alot about how colors relate to each other in this Project - if your darks are really dark, then any light color seems to look white - light blues, yellows, pinks next to a dark as in the skiing painting take on the look of white. :eek:

Northerngrace
12-06-2003, 06:26 PM

Wow, if cats are not your thing then whatever is your thing must be amazing. You can see the sky the cat is looking at. Wonderful job.

guilliame
12-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok Kat,used some black paper for my winter scene progress pic with loads of light blues,greys,yellows and greens:D

Kathryn Wilson
12-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31422

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/6932/tn_white.gif

Splendid job Guilliame! I'm glad someone picked this shot - it looked the most intimidating to me, and you pulled it off! How did you feel as you were painting along - were there surprises along the way??

Mikki Petersen
12-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31422

Great job! Can't believe this is on black paper...you must have really packed on the pastel! Great colors make this snow scene look very inviting.

Tap
12-06-2003, 11:41 PM

Very nice. Looks like a street back east that I've walked and which is getting hammered right now. Amazing how the eye can be fooled by the lighter colors against the darker ones.

Tap ;~D

Kathryn Wilson
12-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31429

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18311/tn_polar1.jpg

Wow - a very powerful painting - the PB fills the page with it's massive body! Hmmmm . . . I wonder if he knows my iceberg?? LOL

guilliame
12-07-2003, 07:57 AM
Kat,Mikki and Tap,thanks for looking.
Kat,funny how people see different things,i chose this pic coz it seemed one of the easier ones to do,there is lots of variables to play with,perspective,road,path,trees,lights and colour,whereas the pearls,eggs and the cat scared the hell out of me,glad i chose the klack paper,the surprise was how white the light blue looked,so the exercise has been worthwhile so i wont be worried now if i run out of white pastels,also i wont have to buy as many

:D
Mikki,yes but i used the smooth side tho,and took a leaf out of DS's book and painted small,size 5x3.5 inches:D

Tap,where i live we only see snow like that once every 12 years or so,had to rely on the pic coz i dont have much on hand experience to fall back on.:)

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31429

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18311/tn_polar1.jpg

Hi J welcometo the project,strong painting so far,waitng for the next pic:)

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:26 AM

Hi K9,this was a great ref pic and you have done an excellent job:clap: the eye is really impressive [i have a thing about eyes] not a good thing either at least there is only one to do,waiting to see if you put a tad of shadow on the whiskers,really like this one:)

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:33 AM

Hi Kyle,i like this version,surprised by the warm colours you have used tho,nice one:D

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:42 AM

Hi Kyle,i did look at this ref pic as i had some blue paper i thought i could use,really like your interpretation tho,that blue is superb love it:D

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:51 AM

Hey Sundiver,i think we need all the help we can get on this white thing so well done for finding a way around it,it's got a luminous light feel to it,i like it it's:cool: :D

guilliame
12-07-2003, 08:57 AM

Hey CJK,this is:cool: too, i like the yellow you have used for the snow,waiting to see what you do with the reeds:D

E-J
12-07-2003, 10:49 AM

Nice one, cj ... the palette of blues and browns is very you :) I like your visible pastel strokes and the texture of the paper showing through. Lovely subtle gradation in the sky.

The shine on the eye is beautifully done! :clap:

This is smashing, guilli. With the warm lights shining on the snow this really reminds me of a path that runs across Jesus Green here in Cambridge. Funny, because the original photo doesn't!

Nice work, everyone :)

Kathryn Wilson
12-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31439

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/6932/tn_eggs.gif

You really tackle the hard subjects with vim and vigor - I love your sense of adventure and experimentation - good for you. This Project was more about color than anything else - drawing an egg on white is a very difficult thing to accomplish. Good for you!

Tap
12-07-2003, 03:26 PM

This is another awesome painting. I can't wait to see more of him as you continue working on him. I think he's kinda neat as he is, sort of a view of a PB during a long Alaskan night, reflecting the colors of the Aurora Borealis...

Tap ;~D

Mikki Petersen
12-07-2003, 08:46 PM

You've got a great one going here! You really have a mastery of using vibrant colors to depict a white object. As for Polar Bears, I know what you mean about them looking fun and playful at the zoo, but...in truth they are the most dangerous and unpredictable of all the bear species. Oh well, I get cranky when I'm cold too, LOL.

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31485

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/26542/tn_Malaren_Snow_Fin_623.JPG

Nice job CJ! I like the way the mist over the lake turned out - any surprises along the way?? Tell us how you liked or disliked using anything other than white for this painting. :D

k9artist
12-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31485

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/26542/tn_Malaren_Snow_Fin_623.JPG

Really like this !!! Love the dried grass in the foreground!

cjkelly
12-08-2003, 10:01 PM
- any surprises along the way?? Tell us how you liked or disliked using anything other than white for this painting.

Thanks Kat and K9 for your comments.

Surprises - only how quickly the tooth filled when trying to blend the sky :( .
I am glad I chose a dark ground - it certainly helps with allowing the paler shades (read: other than whites :) ) to appear much lighter. I actually put all my white pastels in a box and hid them in the wardrobe for the duration - just in case I had a brain explosion and forgot :D
I may just leave them in there.....
I tried to allow as much of the paper colour to show through - to help with the shadows especially, and had to stop before I lost that effect. Great experience - thanks for putting this project up Kat. I may not have to use a white pastel ever again! :D

cj

Kathryn Wilson
12-08-2003, 10:07 PM
CJ: That's music to my ears - glad you liked the Project and got something useful out of it.

Hope you plan on doing another when you have time ;)

sailmary
12-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Hi Tap.
I like to travel light, even just in my house. So for a floor cover I use a cotton sheet. It folds easily, washes out, was something I had around and no extra expense. mI have a light beige carpet and no "extra" color on it. I also use a paper "boat" or tray, putting the backboard and support right in it, to catch the crumbs.

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM

The eye is beautiful - very believable. Good-o!
Maureen

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:31 PM

I think this is rather lovely. The cool shadows and the warmer light - very sensitive.
Maureen.

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:45 PM

Cor!:)
This looks pretty strong. How big is the work?
Maureen
:clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:48 PM

Love the blending in the middle distance/sky.
Love the rocks.
Oh heck! Just like the whole pic.!
Maureen

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:55 PM
I've signed up for this project too - and will post something just as soon as I've done my Christmas cards, two other projects, wrapped the pressies, made the cake etc. etc.!!
Actually, I've downloaded a couple of pics from the ref.photos but am unable to print the rose - anyone else have this problem?
Help?!:confused: :confused:
Lol,
Maureen.

Charlie's Mum
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Should also add that I'm not an expert pastellist.
Maureen:o

Kathryn Wilson
12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Charlie's Mum! Welcome to the Project - thanks for giving me the head's up on the white rose. I loaded the "tinyhead" photo instead of the correct size for the reference. Let me find the powers that be and see if they can help me correct that situation.

Thanks!

Kathryn Wilson
12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi all - the rose photo has been corrected - you should be able to download a good size from the reference photo. If you have any problems, PM me!

It's a wonderful photo to work from - lots of detail. :)

J. Harris
12-10-2003, 03:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31494

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/18311/tn_wnwpbsamll.jpg

Oops, sorry, 13" x 15"
Please understand I'm just playing here. Was fun though!
Will do more.
Jeanette

Charlie's Mum
12-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Thank you Kyle for solving the problem. Have now downloaded and it is a beautiful ref.
Maureen:)

SweetBabyJ
12-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31533

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/9169/tn_easterlilliespastel.jpg

Well, it was fast- the leaves show it, but then, they weren't my area of concentration anyway. For grins, here's the one I did in watercolour for my Mother a year ago:

SweetBabyJ
12-10-2003, 06:32 PM
By the way- it may have been faster in pastel, but it sure seemed easier in watercolour!!

Kathryn Wilson
12-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31533

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/9169/tn_easterlilliespastel.jpg

SweetbabyJane: It has a soft, lovely feel to it. I can see yellows and purples in the lilies - anything else?? Did you like using other colors, rather than white??

SweetBabyJ
12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
let's see... a light, light, light blue, a light gray, a light rose, a smidgen of a warm light brick, light lavender, and a cream colour- not quite white but very light. Pity my camera sucks so. I'd ask Santa for a new one, but I'm holding out for a studio station.

I can tell if I'd add a deep background colour, they would *really* stand out- but that isn't the effect I want, anyway; I like the light on white look and allowing the leaves and stems to lead the eye.

Kathryn Wilson
12-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31551

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/7783/tn_cat.jpg

A wonderful addition to the Project!! I love the different colors that you used and that you used an orange paper to boot. The eye is excellent and you get lost in it when you stare at it - LOL.

k9artist
12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31551

Nice job!! I like the colors in your cat much better than mine!! I still need to finish mine!!!!
Dana

J. Harris
12-12-2003, 12:36 AM

The eye is PURRRfect.
Amazing!
Jeanette

upast
12-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the kind comments about my 'cat'. I look forward to seeing other finished versions. I can't seem to print a good photo of this for Christmas cards - the photo looks very dark compared to the painting, even though I tried brightening it up with Paintshop Pro. Any advice welcome. I find this website a bit complicated to navigate - I just discovered (the other day) a message a lady had sent me a year ago,

John

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by kyle

Wow - a very powerful painting - the PB fills the page with it's massive body! Hmmmm . . . I wonder if he knows my iceberg?? LOL

Had to smile at you comment here Kat, reminds me of a Christmas card I saw recently, with two polar bears in the water watching Titanic sink, the one says to the other " They've ruined our iceberg!" or something like that :D Can't quite remember.

This is a cracking PB painting! Love those colours you've used Jeanette!
:clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:24 AM

This is so beautiful, the eye looks just right to me, you've some gorgeous colours showing there, reckon you should do more animals, you have a feel for them. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:28 AM

Lovely so delicate, they do have a very sweet almost sickly scent to them, my mother always said they reminded her of funerals too. :)

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31439

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/6932/tn_eggs.gif

Eggsellent Gulli, I made a start on this one the other night, but have done nowt with it since. you've done well with this. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:32 AM

Oooh this is super Guilli, love the warm glow of the lights against that cold snow, very atmospheric and Christmassy. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:34 AM

So beautiful, the sharp detail of the eye against the softness of the fur works wonderfully well, lovely colours you have used. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:36 AM

This is stunning! :clap: the cool shadows and warm sunlight really make it sparkle!

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:39 AM

Amazing that such a simple scene can turn out to be so beautiful.

Love it Wendy. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31556

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/14941/tn_aspens-2.JPG

Superb Kat, quite strong, but yet delicate, Like it very much. :clap:

Mo.
12-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31558

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/14941/tn_mountain-2.JPG

Excellent work, the snow really glistens against those beautiful mountains, wonderful interpretation and colours. :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
12-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31686

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/5154/tn_wde_snow.jpg

Got to see this in the WDE too! I love all the blue you used for shadow on the snow!

Kathryn Wilson
12-14-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks, Mo, for all the kind comments. I have turned these 3 paintings into Christmas cards. Printed them out on my inkjet and then added some Christmas touches with gouche. That was a fun project!

caroline65artist
12-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31686

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/5154/tn_wde_snow.jpg

cool pic. I can feel the crisp cold feeling of the day. I love doing shadows in blue. Yours is great

caroline65artist
12-15-2003, 11:56 PM

My favorite subject to paint is animals and kids. This one is fantastic. The eyes are great. You can tell this kitten is studying something special. good going:clap:

Tap
12-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31556

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/14941/tn_aspens-2.JPG

Kat, this is beautiful... I love the texture of the trees... And it certainly looks "white" to me... May I ask what paper did you do this on and who makes that Australian Gray?

Tap ;~D

Jacek
12-16-2003, 06:11 AM

Kat, it is great, so luminous!
It is winter scene,
but warm and serene!

Kathryn Wilson
12-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Hi Tap: Thanks for the comment on the aspens - I used Art Spectrum paper and Australian Grey is an Art Spectrum color.

Kathryn Wilson
12-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31742

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/32133/tn_Egg.jpg

Wow! What's not to like about this painting. I like the concept and you pulled off the "white not being white" really well.

Tap
12-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31742

I think it is wonderful... I love the colors and the feel of the whole piece...

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Mikki tried to help and I thought I understood the directions... and I've read that newcomer thing about posting images... but for some reason, I jsut can't get this thing to work right for me... Can someone help me somehow to achieve what seems totally impossible for me? :( :confused:

I need simple steps... like see the red button, stick out your tongue and then push the red button... See Jane run, See Spot run. See Jane and Spot run... I have a sketch of the trees in the snow that I want to add to the message thread so y'all can comment on it.... Heck I'm starting to think maybe the cat should give it a go...

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-17-2003, 01:21 AM
1. Close your eye and BELIEVE (Zen like).
2. go to project detail space, click on "upload final images"
3. click on "browse" (this allows you to find your digital image pic on your hard drive- aka: a digital file. Usually a .jpeg."
4. find your file, name (maybe) "mountain and trees.jpeg".
5. double click.
6. Wait, give your pic a name for US. "Mountain cabin and forest" (Tap, I've seen your painting, it's beautiful!)
7. Tab down to long description. Usually size, medium, how you did it etc.
8. Then click on "UPLOAD IMAGE".
that's it!
It automatically happens through the magic of technology elves. the hardest thing is find where you parked the digital file. (I lose track all the time. I've created a folder that has all the digital pics of my paintings (it's called "paintings") easy to find.
If you want to upload to discussion, just pick "browse gallery
exhibit" and then click on your image, and fill in the rest.
eueka! it happens. I think your trying to make it too hard.
Try it now!
Jeanette

Kathryn Wilson
12-17-2003, 06:08 AM
It may be that Tap is not re-sizing her photo to begin with.

The size I use all the time is 450 pixels, saved at a medium (7) resolution. So, before you even think about uploading, you need to re-size first. Don't forget to do a "save as" to protect your original photo.

PM me if this does not make sense and I can walk you through the program (Photoshop) or whatever you are using to manipulate images.

caroline65artist
12-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks Kyle, your iceberg and water was the greatest. it was so real looking I could feel the cold of the water:clap:

Kathryn Wilson
12-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks Caroline - if you'll look real close at my tinyhead/avatar, I made a Christmas card out of the iceberg - there's a tiny Christmas tree and a very bright star.

caroline65artist
12-17-2003, 10:50 AM
hi Kyle, I'm trying to find the page that shows the projects close up. I know I found it one day but can't find it today. Can you help me so I can see your pic up close.

Kathryn Wilson
12-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Sure, Caroline -

click on the Projects tab at the top of this page;

On the left-hand side of the page you'll see "Index of Projects"

Scroll down until you see our Project, open it;

Pick Browse Finished Projects, or if you want to see the original photo just click on them to enlarge.

Make sense?

caroline65artist
12-17-2003, 11:04 AM
thanks Kyle, I found them. I love your idea about putting the star and tree in your pic for a christmas card. I know the ones you send your christmas cards are going to be very pleased.

Kathryn Wilson
12-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31787

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/32707/tn_TreesSketch.JPG

Looking good so far Tap! LOL - not sure why I thought these trees were aspens - of course they're birches - DUH.

Tap
12-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by J. Harris
1. Close your eye and BELIEVE (Zen like).
2. go to project detail space, click on "upload final images"
3. click on "browse" (this allows you to find your digital image pic on your hard drive- aka: a digital file. Usually a .jpeg."
4. find your file, name (maybe) "mountain and trees.jpeg".
5. double click.
6. Wait, give your pic a name for US. "Mountain cabin and forest" (Tap, I've seen your painting, it's beautiful!)
7. Tab down to long description. Usually size, medium, how you did it etc.
8. Then click on "UPLOAD IMAGE".
that's it!
It automatically happens through the magic of technology elves. the hardest thing is find where you parked the digital file. (I lose track all the time. I've created a folder that has all the digital pics of my paintings (it's called "paintings") easy to find.
If you want to upload to discussion, just pick "browse gallery
exhibit" and then click on your image, and fill in the rest.
eueka! it happens. I think your trying to make it too hard.
Try it now!
Jeanette

I do believe, I do believe, I do believe... In Santa Claus and Jeanette's ability to talk even this dummie thru this process...

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by kyle
It may be that Tap is not re-sizing her photo to begin with.

The size I use all the time is 450 pixels, saved at a medium (7) resolution. So, before you even think about uploading, you need to re-size first. Don't forget to do a "save as" to protect your original photo.

PM me if this does not make sense and I can walk you through the program (Photoshop) or whatever you are using to manipulate images.

That's what makes me so mad... I cropped, I resized to the right # of pixels and everything. :confused: And it still didn't work... Red Water in the Photography group talked me thru the resizing the night I was ready to kick my computer and myself... now I just need to figure out a way to get my foot up that high. giggle...

I see that some wonderful, helpful, talented, computer literate person has fixed up my picture with the link... Thank you, Kat!

Tap ;~D

J. Harris
12-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31787

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/32707/tn_TreesSketch.JPG

Great Start!!
Keep on keepin' on!
Can't wait to see it finished.
J

Tap
12-17-2003, 09:17 PM

Simply beautiful, Mo! :clap:

Tap ;~D

Kathryn Wilson
12-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32131

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18702/tn_WCproject2.jpg

Very, very nice!! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Deborah Secor
12-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32164

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/23609/tn_whitecat1th.jpg

Here's the sketch....

Deborah Secor
12-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32165

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/23609/tn_whitecat2th.jpg

...and the fun I had with it! This was a great exercise, Kat. The challenge of not using white is always a good one--and not easy.

Let me know what you think...
Deborah

Deborah Secor
12-27-2003, 02:23 PM

I love looking at this one now that I've done the same painting--sort of. It's interesting to see the decisions you made that are so different from mine. I love the eye color you chose. The color is smashing! The overall delicacy of this one is wonderful. Makes me feel meat-fisted. Lovely piece...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
12-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31249

Dana, this is just gorgeous! I had to look at all the other cats. I think your choice for a pinkish nose is very strong. And all the blues you used make it so soothing and lovely. The reflections in the eye are exquisite too...

Okay, guess I need to practice delicacy! LOL

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
12-27-2003, 06:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32165

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/23609/tn_whitecat2th.jpg

I love your close crop, Dee. It is wonderful to see all the different kitties popping up here. Your style came through strongly and I like it!! Post an update if you decide to go on with this one - but from here, it looks finished.

So glad you joined us on this Project - it has been fun and challenging. Waiting for all those other folks who've signed up to post something - LOL!

majestaero
12-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32176

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18702/tn_projWC.jpg

Just wanted to comment that this is oil pastel. The colour's a little off...not really happy at this stage!!

k9artist
12-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32165

great work dee!!! now I know how to finish mine!! LOL It looks great!

Kathryn Wilson
12-28-2003, 07:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32176

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18702/tn_projWC.jpg

Please don't give up on this one - I like it! I like the purple shadows - can you adjust color in a software program so that we can see the true color? You may be at the stage we all get to in a painting - I get there every time - when you just are not happy with how it is going. I just keep going and it usually turns out much better than I expected. :D

upast
12-28-2003, 05:06 PM

I think you have suggested the furriness better than my version and have been more creative. I used to have a big white tomcat I was very fond of, who got run over when he was 10 years old, so this project evoked some pleasant and sad memories for me,

John

Diyart
12-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32176

Don`t throw this away...it`s already now a very interesting painting and gives the viewer quite a lot to study..:clap:

I don`t care about the original :D

Martin

JanetteBC
01-01-2004, 04:14 AM

nice choice of mauve paper very cold looking --- contrasting with those blues makes it pop!

JanetteBC
01-01-2004, 04:21 AM

enjoyed seeing this like the color choices very feminine quality to it.

majestaero
01-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32256

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18702/tn_WCproj3.JPG

Don't worry, I won't *really* burn it :D ..just feel like it at times! Haven't given up, in fact, done a bit more. Little happier at this stage.

Linda

Charlie's Mum
01-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32479

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/30494/tn_White_Rose%2C_pastel.JPG

Well, here's my first entry for this project, although the colour is not quite as true as the original pastel - (that may be the scanner or the photo at fault). I'll try another photo when the light improves before uploading to the finished works gallery - I don't want to do more to this because I've already been *fiddling* with it!!
Maureen

Kathryn Wilson
01-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32479

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/30494/tn_White_Rose%2C_pastel.JPG

Hi! My, you are a brave soul - I don't believe anyone else chose to do this one, but I'm glad you did! I can see all manner of color in this painting - I hope you enjoyed painting it, it looks like you had fun! I certainly learned one thing, take the white out of my box before I start, then I don't resort to using it. :clap:

Gaart
01-14-2004, 02:53 PM

beautiful love the colors!

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2004, 10:41 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32359

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/998/tn_birch_in_snow.jpg

Helen, forgive me for not commenting sooner - I don't think I got a notification, but should have kept up anyway. I think your entry turned out just lovely - all those wonderful colors in the tree trunks.

Charlie's Mum
01-18-2004, 07:52 AM

Like the "glow" on this - how big is the painting?
Maureen

caroline65artist
01-18-2004, 01:58 PM

Like the "glow" on this - how big is the painting?
Maureen
Thanks Maureen, I did it on a 9 X 12. Had lots of fun doing it without white and it was a very good learning experience. I saw the January pastel project and can't wait to get started :cool:

lisilk
01-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32626

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/30494/tn_Winter_night.JPG

Wow, this is impressive. Very atmospheric, great depth. Beautiful. :clap:

Your ova just glows ! :clap:

Marvelous, esp. like the foreground. :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31553

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/6932/tn_3fish.gif

Fascinating. Very abstract. Nicely done ! :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32359

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/998/tn_birch_in_snow.jpg

Very pretty, really like your color choices here. Almost looks like watercolor.

Cheers,

Li

lisilk
01-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31494

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/18311/tn_wnwpbsamll.jpg

He cute ( tho a little small.) The way you've shaded him looks like he's walking towards us.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32281

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/20152/tn_white_cat_pastel.jpg

Wow, look at that eye ! Beautiful work on the fur ( as usual. ) :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31557

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/14941/tn_iceberg-2.JPG

Oh that looks so cold. Love the berg.

Kathryn Wilson
01-21-2004, 10:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32626

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/30494/tn_Winter_night.JPG

This turned out wonderfully! I think the one thing I learned about doing snow is that it reflects the color of light that is being reflected on it - e.g. the lamp light would turn the snow a yellow, or the sky would turn it blue.

Good going!

Kathryn Wilson
01-21-2004, 10:41 AM

SBJ: Somehow I missed this one! Look at all the nice purples and yellows in the flowers - I'll bet this one was hard not to pick up a white pastel - I sure would have been tempted. Well done!

Gaart
01-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32739

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18249/tn_snowdrop1.jpg

This is the first one that I did, I used the back of a piece of matt board, using the white of the paper for the white. but then I read where someone said that it was more difficult to make something appear white if you use colored paper.
So I re did it and
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32740

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18249/tn_snowdrop2.jpg

This one is the second one that I did, I think I used black matt board. Don't have it right in front of me. I am not done. It isn't as dark as it appears in the pic. But I need to work on it. I need to add more lights.
I sprayed it but the spray made little dots on the pastels. So I need to fix that.
Just wanted you guys to know that I am not forgetting my responsibilities...

Can we use oil pastels?

Gaart
01-22-2004, 10:12 PM

He cute ( tho a little small.) The way you've shaded him looks like he's walking towards us.

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32281

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/20152/tn_white_cat_pastel.jpg

Wow, look at that eye ! Beautiful work on the fur ( as usual. ) :clap:

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31557

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/14941/tn_iceberg-2.JPG

Oh that looks so cold. Love the berg.

These are all good! It's very interesting to see how everyone handles the problem. I love the mr bear....

Gaart
01-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=31553

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/6932/tn_3fish.gif

This is incredible. I love Koi, they are koi arent' they?
All of mine got eaten by the racoons.
This is an awesome painting.

Kathryn Wilson
01-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32740

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18249/tn_snowdrop2.jpg

I like this one! Looks of bold strokes with lots of movement and texture going on.

Kathryn Wilson
01-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32722

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/17813/tn_Cabin.JPG

Hi Li: Thought you'd sneak this one in on me! - this painting is perfect for this Project. The blue snow and the yellow snow on the pine trees. I like your interpretation of the tree better than mine - funny how we all see things differently. (This came out of the WDE) Good one!

lisilk
01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32722

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/17813/tn_Cabin.JPG

Hi Li: Thought you'd sneak this one in on me! - this painting is perfect for this Project. The blue snow and the yellow snow on the pine trees. I like your interpretation of the tree better than mine - funny how we all see things differently. (This came out of the WDE) Good one!

Shucks, I thought I could sneak in the back door without setting off the alarm. LOL. I too love how we all interpret the images differently. Thanks Kyle. :p

Cheers,

Li

Gaart
01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32740

I like this one! Looks of bold strokes with lots of movement and texture going on.

Thanks I still need to lighten it up. The value is too dark. But I like the movement too.

loulou
02-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32256

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/18702/tn_WCproj3.JPG

Just a little bit of advice: the key here is not to work on one element at a time, complete it and then move on to the next. It's always best to work on all shapes and elements at the same time. Do some shading on the tree that seems easier to tackle first, don't carry that too far yet, then quickly move on to the same sort of features in the 2 other trees. But do not work exclusively on the trees, get into into the ground work at the same time, as I see you've done so far. Find some sort of symetry as reference point also.
Great start so far ! Keep it up !
Loulou

Kathryn Wilson
02-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=32920

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/completed/18702/tn_WCPnotwhitex.jpg

So glad you finished and posted this one. It was one of my favorite pictures - we both went about it a little differently, but seemed to come up with the same solution. A job well done and don't fret about the darkness, you achieved the goal of the Project handsomely.

Kathryn Wilson
02-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks to all the participating artists in this Project for their outstanding efforts in producing these wonderful paintings. Hope you all learned something of value - I know I did!

Please feel free to participate whenever you like in this Project - I'm going to leave it open for all to enjoy.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
02-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Thanks to all the participating artists in this Project for their outstanding efforts in producing these wonderful paintings. Hope you all learned something of value - I know I did!

Please feel free to participate whenever you like in this Project - I'm going to leave it open for all to enjoy.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank YOU Kyle for setting the project - it was most enjoyable and there are still a couple I'd like to try.
Cheers,
Maureen
:) :clap:

weckster
04-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=35360

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/592/progress/13865/tn_snowshadows_wip.jpg

It's magnificent E-J. it makes for a fascinating composition and the colours are amazing. I must admit, that I love the snow, its starkness and coolness. You captured the branch-shadows beautifully :clap: :clap: :clap: (I'm very jealous of your ability - you do magnificent work :) )

E-J
04-04-2004, 05:35 AM
Erica, I almost got lost eyeballing those tree shadows! I hope I can finish the piece successfully enough to convey the colour effect in the shadows that fascinated me in the first place.

Re your rather too kind comments ... thank you :) I remember coming to this forum for the first time just over a year ago and being blown away by what people were achieving with pastels. I have only been pastelling since then and still consider myself a beginner (well, ok ... I'm intermediate now) but I suspect that ten years of playing around off-and-on with different media and devouring so many books on art techniques did help!

E-J
06-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=31533

Have just stumbled upon this one, perhaps because I've got lilies on the brain lately ... love the pattern of the wiggly leaves and stems, and the colours in the closed lilies in particular.