PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 1 - 7 Dec

E-J
12-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Well, once again it's time for me to open a new weekly sketch thread ... and I can't believe it's December already :eek:

For those who haven't visited the weeklies before, this thread starts afresh each Monday and the idea behind it is to get pastelling as many times as you like during the week, but within a given time limit. 25 or 30 minutes ... or 40-45 ... it's up to you, but your sketch should take no longer than one hour. When your time's up, STOP - and share your efforts with us here. If you find it hard not to keep fiddling, set a timer. You can always go back to your piece later if you want to take it further.

The aims are:

- To sharpen your observational skills. The exercise is probably most valuable if you can sketch from life, but there's no law against using a ref photo if you prefer!

- To make friends with your pastels through practice, practice, practice. No critiques will be given unless you request them, so if you're a newbie this is an especially safe place to start developing your pastel skills.

- To make time for regular pastelling. Most of us have many other demands on our time, but it shouldn't be hard to fit in a 20-min session, even in a busy day. Sketch a single object if you like. No subject is too humble!

- To loosen up, getting the essentials down on paper within the set time. It's also a chance to be a bit playful or experimental without the worry of ruining a more 'formal' piece.

EVERYONE is welcome to participate!

Last week's sketch thread can be viewed here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148497

:)

E-J
12-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Just bumping this one back to the top so that everyone knows it's here ... some of us were too busy gallivanting round London enjoying art shops and blues clubs to get any sketching done yesterday :rolleyes:

Stoy Jones
12-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by E-J
... some of us were too busy gallivanting round London enjoying art shops and blues clubs to get any sketching done yesterday :rolleyes:

Tsk, tsk! Are we enjoying ourselves too much to be of any use for our talent?? Naughty! :D As if I have room to talk. I hope to get one done this week at all (and I need the warm-up for class Thursday), as I'm trying to catch up from a busy holiday.

Stoy

christmascarolnz
12-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Ok - Artfreak and I got together yesterday and had our own little challenge so we could join in with the weekly sketches.
We each had a couple of pieces of sanded paper and one of us had oil pastels while the other had soft pastels. My son timed us and we had 15mins to do as much as we could...then we had to swap seats and have 15mins with the other pastels. It was fun.
So, here's my effort. Our old tea caddy, an apple and a tomato.
Carol
Oil pastels...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2003/4807-Carols_oil_pastel.jpg
Soft pastels...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2003/4807-Carols_soft_pastel.jpg
Watch for Artfreak's ones now.

Stoy Jones
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Carol, great exercise! Like the results, too!! :clap:

Well, got my 30 min. in on this leo done in soft pastel on brown wrap, 8x10, done just a while ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Dec-2003/18715-lionsketch.jpg

Stoy

E-J
12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Carol - what a cool idea :) I couldn't tell at first that your first pic was done in oil pastels - it has such a soft, velvety look to it. Which brand of op's were you using?

Stoy, that brown wrap's provided the perfect mid-tone for your limited palette lion. Just a touch of shine in his eye and he will be done. Great work for 30 mins!

artfreak
12-02-2003, 05:33 PM
Hi There,
As christmascarol said, I got together with her, and here are my results of painting an apple, tomato, and a tin in 15mins ...:
This first one is with oil pastels.
~Hayley

artfreak
12-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi there...
Ooops! I'm really sorry, I don't think I remembered to attatch the picture! Doh! I'm sorry, Here it is then. The oil pastel one was the second time I did it, and I got alot more done than when I did it with soft pastels.
Sorry about the first message, I'm still new to it...and still learning, :(
~Hayley s.

artfreak
12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi there,
Here is my drawing with soft pastels. Since we were timed 15mins, I hardly got anything done on it then the oil pastels one, but here is is.
~Hayley

christmascarolnz
12-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Stoy - your lion is way cool! You got a lot done in such a short time.
Ej the pastel are the carann d'ache ones that folk here seem to speak about a lot. I also used some hard and horrible mungyo ones which didn't like the sanded paper. The pgment kept rolling into little bits. ugh! I thought I'd be able to use the hard ones then go over them with the soft op's just with soft pastels. - lesson learned...didn't work.
I like the carann ones better, that's for sure.
Hayley - great to see your work up there. Good on you. I think you did really well with something you haven't even used before!
Carol

E-J
12-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Hayley, you did well in such a short time - I especially like the apple in your oil pastel version.

Carol - I like the Caran d'Ache ones best, too - they are creamy but not too sticky. Glad you seem to be enjoying the 'quickie' challenge :)

Stoy Jones
12-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Just a touch of shine in his eye and he will be done.

An excellent point! Will certainly do that and give him a little more life. Thanks!

Hayley, first time? :clap: Looking forward to more stuff...and welcome!

Stoy

Tap
12-02-2003, 09:34 PM
After looking at all the great painting that's happening here... I'm thinking maybe I'll just lurk in the corner, content to read. I really think I need to find some pastel classes. I'm finding out I have a lot to learn even tho I started with pastels in 74...

I'll dump the pics in my digital camera and take a couple of shots of my WIPs and see what y'all can help with...

Tap ;~\

christmascarolnz
12-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Tap - oh come on, don't by shy - have a go. I've only just started joining in on these weekly sketches - very different from what I'm used to. Artfreak had her first go with the pastel sketches and has surprised herself methinks.
You will find the folk around this joint really encouraging and friendly.
Stoy - check out artfreaks' (Hayley) "I'm new" thread and look at her dog. Awesome!
Cheers,
Carol

E-J
12-03-2003, 05:56 AM
Tap, I forgot to mention ... the pastel police will come and arrest anyone found loitering in this thread without intent to participate ;)

We would love to see you post a sketch! Don't wait for classes ... just dig out your pastels and start having some fun with them :)

sundiver
12-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Carol and Hayley, I envy you your get-togethers. They sound like fun, and your results are great, too. Maybe you'd enjoy doing the Weekend Drawing Event together sometime.
Hayley, you don't have to be new to forget to put your picture in your post!:) But you can often go back and edit it in the old post.

Stoy, that's an amazing 30-minute lion!

Tap, don't wait for classes to begin posting, especially in this thread. Learning as you go is what this thread is all about. No masterpieces required! I'd love to take a class, too, but there are professionals right here who are so generous with their advice, plus the rest of us who are learning right along with you.

Ok, here's all I managed to get this past week, (other than the WDE, which was an abstract and fun). It's plein air, over by the local middle school. Husband and daughter were being dragged around the field with their traction kite, and I was in the car with my o.p.s 5x7 on purplish-grey canson Darn clouds would not stay still for me. one hour, maybe a little less
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2003/6393-pleinaie31byQMS.jpg
Don't I wish the view at my own middle school was like that. We can see the Bay of Fundy here but the scenery is basically pulp mills, and oil refinery, a drydock....ahh, the fresh industrial air! :(

christmascarolnz
12-03-2003, 04:12 PM
tee hee Sundiver - I guess the kite took them for a spin right out of your painting.:D You are very fortunate to be able to paint your surroundings. You've done well again.
I love Canada.
Cheers,
Carol

Tap
12-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, Sundiver. I can't wait... I'm getting all fired up seeing the beauty that's being put on display here. I wanna do the same... I've organized my art table, found smaller pieces of paper (not the full sheets in the box), but still can't find the brand new packs of paper that I bought on sale at Michaels. Danged garage gremlins!!!!

The house elves have taken my battery charger for my digital camera. Can't find that. But have done great things in sorting and tossing out clutter trying to find it. Everyone knows we artists would rather paint or watch someone else paint than do every day chores. And I haven't been able to get the cat to cooperate, something about opposible thumbs... what-EVAH...

BTW, I love the colors in your painting. Looks like the view out that deadend road I like to sit and paint on. I don't know if this will help... but when I'm painting sunsets, I go every night for 3 or 4 nights in a row, focusing an hour on painting sections of the picture. I give an hour to the sky, in good weather (meaning the same weather each day), the sky will be very similar a couple of nights in a row, or it has been where I'm painting.

When the sky is done at the end of that hour, the light is generally gone and I pack up and go home. OR... sometimes I flip the page and start a night sky, getting the blue of the fading sunset/dusk going to full dark and the crescent moon hanging there... I'm literally painting in the dark, the dome light is all I've got to help me pick my colors and guide my hand to where I want to lay the color... I do a bit of blending. When I'm done I go to the pub, taking my pad of paper inside to see what I got... The pastels angels haven't failed to guide my hand yet.

Peace and happy blending...

Tap ;~D

christmascarolnz
12-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Everyone knows we artists would rather paint or watch someone else paint than do every day chores.

LOL My hubby and I were trying to explain to Nic, our teenage son, about finding a passion for something...you know for the ideal 'career', and he said, "You know - like your mother - she has such a passion for painting she doesn't do housework!"
Ha! Trouble is, when I'm tidy I don't get the desire to create.

Sundiver - why do you paint landscapes? Do you love nature in particular? I have tried to have a go, but it didn't gel for me.

Carol

Tap
12-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by christmascarolnz

LOL My hubby and I were trying to explain to Nic, our teenage son, about finding a passion for something...you know for the ideal 'career', and he said, "You know - like your mother - she has such a passion for painting she doesn't do housework!"
Ha! Trouble is, when I'm tidy I don't get the desire to create.

Sundiver - why do you paint landscapes? Do you love nature in particular? I have tried to have a go, but it didn't gel for me.

Carol

ROFL... Your husband sounds like an understanding man. He understands that you can't do 2 things at the same time. Well unless it is eating and reading... I do those together all the time. And writing... I write stories in my head and when I have them worked out I stop & put them on paper.

Your comment about not having a desire to create reminds me of a saying that I've had over my desk for a lonnng time...

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?"

I think there is a lot of energy in organized chaos. And I have my limits. My place won't be condemned by the Dept of Health, but it will never be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens either.

Tap ;~D

Tap
12-04-2003, 01:57 AM
Well the house elves have returned the battery charger. I downloaded the pictures and got to take more pics, but the batteries went dead again before I could down load those pics...

The problem is the images are too big. I've posted a couple of places about that problem I need to figure out how to downsize the files so I can upload them here and complete some projects.

I've even done a Pastel Abstract. With the help of the cat... well he thinks he helped, I tried to tell him NOT to lick the pastel painting... He snuch around me when I got on the computer, so my abstract is the combined artistry of me & the cat.

Now if we could find the paper. It's in a Michael's bag in the garage... grrr...

Tap ;~D

doe
12-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Hi gang! Haven't been here in awhile but am glad this sketch thread is still here. Yesterday I did a small warmup for the "event" I have to go to on Sat. There will be six artists (me being one of them) painting outside at a local gallery. The so called "courtyard" is sort of bland and we'll be setting up a garden still life. It's going to be alot of fun I'm sure. So this is a 40 min. sketch of a pot of marigolds:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/12181-marigolds.jpg

Carol and Hayley - what fun you both must be having and nice still lifes!

Stoy, great lion for such a short time frame!

Wendy, your landscape is super as always. That is a great view and makes me want to be there, except for the cold part though.

Gotta go to work today.:mad:

E-J
12-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Wendy, Your 5x7s are always instantly recognisable! :) How many plein airs have you notched up now? It's been too dismal and grey this week for me to get out and try another ... but I WILL be doing more ... On our recent trip to London my husband bought me a set of 48 Conté soft pastels as a Christmas present. They come in a nice lightweight hinged box which is the ideal size for my plein air bag! I had an attack of kid-in-a-sweetshop syndrome in that place ... practically had to be restrained from eating all those lovely paints and pastels :D

Doe, that's a delightful sketch. I like the warmth of your colours, the looseness of the marigolds and the touches of red among the flower heads and leaves. It's really nice to see you back in the sketch thread again.

sundiver
12-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Tap I give an hour to the sky, in good weather (meaning the same weather each day), the sky will be very similar a couple of nights in a row, or it has been where I'm painting. Peace and happy blending...Tap ;~D

Lol, the sky sround here doesn't stay the same for 5 minutes!

I like your system, and will try it.

...and I can't get my cat to do the housework, either...(sigh).

sundiver
12-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by christmascarolnz
Carol

I grew up in Prince Edward Island, which is a very colorful place. I was 9 years old before I discovered the rest of the world didn't have bright red dirt. I was often in the car with my parents going off to visit some relative or other in the country, and used to soak in the scenery- rolling hills, winding roads, fields lined with evergreen trees, so many shades of green and gold, the water, the red soil. I think that's where it started. I also fell in love with the Impressionists when I was little.
I can't even drive down the road without noticing the dark burgundy in the winter woods, the reflections in the puddles, etc.

Stoy Jones
12-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Sundiver, great landscapes as usual! I'm really impressed with those clouds and the sun peeking through and a hint of more light in the horizon..what atmosphere!

Doe, glad to see you post something. Those marigolds look great! The event sounds interesting.. Hope you post your garden still-life results.

Stoy

Tap
12-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by sundiver

Lol, the sky sround here doesn't stay the same for 5 minutes!

I like your system, and will try it.

...and I can't get my cat to do the housework, either...(sigh).

LOL... well the sky didn't quite stay the same for the whole hour either, but it will last a good 15 minutes. I get the basics in for that part and then when the real COLOR comes into the clouds I'm ready for it.

So basically my time out in the field is picking a spot, memorizing the details around me, like the color of the fence, the way it is put together, where the trees hit the mountains, stuff like that. I then rough in the shape of the mountains, deciding if this is going to be one of my sky paintings or the mountains or the pasture.

I get the blue of the sky, starting with the darkest at top and moving forward, and I'm trying to layer without blending so much as I did when I first learned. I quit those classes before I learned about leaving texture in, that I learned about 20 years later.

When the oranges and reds and golds come, whether they are pale or deep, I put them in the clouds. By then it is time to go home.

The next evening I head out about 5-10 minutes earlier, finding the exact spot I parked in the day before, I study my sky a bit, look at the mountains and work them in.

It is funny sometimes when I go parking, the owner of the ranch will go by and the 1st time had a curious look on his face. Now he just waves. I need to get out there again, the mountains will have snow on them while lower down, where I park the grass is dead-brown-gold.

I've posted the painting I described in the Buildings of all sorts project. Let me know what you think.

Tap ;~D

Stoy Jones
12-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Tap, hope you don't mind me posting your piece here for us to look at. I really like how you painted the sky and mountains! To get a sense of distance, you can blend the colors of the sky and mountains into the paper with a smudger or your finger and keep all those textures in the foreground. No need to be shy! You have a great start and hope you do more! :clap:

Stoy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2003/18715-DeadendRoad.jpg

christmascarolnz
12-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Tap - good show! thanks Stoy for giving her a gentle nudge in the right direction.
Lovely sunset and a really peaceful scene.
More please!
Carol:clap:

Tap
12-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Stoy, Thank you. No I don't mind. I feel funny posting in more than one place. When you say smudger, is that a tortillion or a rubber blending tool or a blending stump? I know about the fingers, if I had to NOT blend I think I'd be in a lot of trouble... It is also hard for me to figure out how much blending to do. I didn't want to lose the mountains, but I wanted them to show the distance. They are actually *probably/possibly* a good 5-10 miles away, but they don't look that far away even. I'm going to have to find the grid map I got at work and figure out what mountains they are and count the squares to see exactly how close they are. Because of the sheer size of them they look to be only a couple miles away.

I've tried to use brushes they just move the pastel right off the paper. The sponge wasn't much better. I like fingers best. LOL and thank goodness baby wipes were invented for us artists to clean up with!!!

Thank you, also Stoy and Carol for your kind words.

I've got work to do... big question, do I go back and try to blend those mountains some more? And how do I tell how much?

Here's another WIP that I started one night after the light was gone for the barn painting.

Tap ;~D

Stoy Jones
12-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Tap
When you say smudger, is that a tortillion or a rubber blending tool or a blending stump?

Tortillion is what I meant, thank you:). I'm like you though, I like using my fingers, too. Its hard to figure when and when not to blend and how much, but experiment to get different effects.

If you look at Sundiver's landscapes, she has strokes throughout her work and still retains a sense of distance, but she knows how to get the right strokes and uses color to her benefit. Look at what others are doing and play around and see what works and what doesn't.

I've learned so much here, and I still am, so stick around, take your time and play, post what you have and watch how others work and before you know it, things will start to happen. Your wip looks really good! Hope you post more as you go. Be sure to start it with a new topic sometime and more folks will likely take a peek at what you got here.

Stoy

Tap
12-05-2003, 09:47 PM
There are so many "toys" to order and I hate getting something and finding out it isn't worth the $20 I wasted on it. I do like tortillions because they can get into tighter areas, they don't necessarily remove more than you want removed and they move the pastel you do want moved. Those will be on the next order from DakotaPastels or from Daniel Smith. Can't remember who had them with a great price by the dozen.

And wooohoooo, Christmas is coming in just 20 days. I know "Santa" is giving me money again this year to get whatever art supplies I want. I should get busy and get a really nice project done and give it to my folks for Christmas. I would really like to try to do a pastel of Virginia City, MT which is a "living" ghost town here or maybe a watercolor...

I love the colors Sundiver uses in her paintings and the results. I know I can get better... it will just take practice.

I LOVE your lion... I ought to give a try at doing animals... I have a nice Grizzly pic that might be good to do in a pastel. What do you think?

Tap ;~D

Stoy Jones
12-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Virginia City sounds like a great subject to try and the bear also looks enticing with the variations of tone and the texture of that fur looks to be interesting. You have a good three-quarter view and I would do a few warm up sketches, even in pastel, to get the basic shapes down pat.

You can try taking the flat part of a brown pastel stick and rub a swatch of color in the shape that you see. Do the same for the lights and darks and go back and work in details and see what you get. This is the technique I tried on the lion and it seemed to work out fine, although I will need more practice. Made a few mistakes which I covered up and erased while working. It takes some getting use to, but it seems to lend an option to stay loose or work tight, however you like. You do watercolor as well? Oh, would like to see sometime! I tried them, but couldn't get the hang of them.

Stoy

Tap
12-06-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Stoy Jones
Virginia City sounds like a great subject to try and the bear also looks enticing with the variations of tone and the texture of that fur looks to be interesting. You have a good three-quarter view and I would do a few warm up sketches, even in pastel, to get the basic shapes down pat.

You can try taking the flat part of a brown pastel stick and rub a swatch of color in the shape that you see. Do the same for the lights and darks and go back and work in details and see what you get. This is the technique I tried on the lion and it seemed to work out fine, although I will need more practice. Made a few mistakes which I covered up and erased while working. It takes some getting use to, but it seems to lend an option to stay loose or work tight, however you like. You do watercolor as well? Oh, would like to see sometime! I tried them, but couldn't get the hang of them.

Stoy

Virginia City is fantastic. It is all original early 1800s Montana. Old buildings that no longer have any paint. All of it built on a hill and there used to be gold and there is still garnet here, which were originally thought to be rubies. Hence the valley being named the Ruby Valley.

What kind of pastels do you use? I've got Mount Vision (whole stick-50 pc landscape + extra colors suitable for sunsets and trees so I have browns), Sennelier 80 pc half stick set, Daler-Rowney 72 pc set in a VERY pretty box and 30-60 sticks of Schminke. I also have the Cretacolor and the Carbothello pastel pencils-60 pc sets for both.

I've seen paintings I like, but know I need to develop my own style... tho learning how to do different things will help me learn my own style too. Which is why I'm here.

The attached watercolor was done at a Decorative Painting class seminar. I'm embarrassed to say that I can remember the instructor's name and I've taken several seminars from her. I'll come to me.

Tap ;~D

Stoy Jones
12-06-2003, 01:07 PM
This is really nice! :clap: Tap, check your PM's, I'll post there. I'll let this thread go on, since we got a new pastel sketch thread coming up soon :)

Stoy