PDA

View Full Version : Adaptation

spectru
07-22-2001, 12:17 PM
Ok, Grace, I'm posting this image, as you requested. Now how about a critique.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2001/Anole12(b).jpg

Nikon F100, tripod mounted
Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO macro
Fujichrome Provia 100f slide
HP PhotoSmart scanner
Exposure not recorded

Grace
07-25-2001, 09:50 AM
What's this spec, Godzilla Junior! I expect you would get better response if you posted a better subject. I know you got some great pics, I've seen them. Anyway its still a great potrait of an anole, the dewlap is really spectacular. A really patriotic picture, red white and blue. Too bad you cut your tail off again, you do that a lot. :D

spectru
07-25-2001, 10:09 AM
Godzilla Junior?!?! You want a better subject? This isn't artistic enough for you? This guy is the Brad Pitt of lizards! You better watch it or I'll cut YOUR tail off. :rolleyes:

Well, i'm glad that somebody finally had something say, even if it's only Grace.

OK. I'l try to post a better subject next time. Any sugggestions for what a "better"' photographic subject is? Anybody? (Ihave some handsome spiders) :eek:

erico
08-06-2001, 03:28 PM
Okay, here's a suggestion. What about doing straigh close portraits of lizards & spiders& whatever?

The things that bother me about the one you posted are the background (detracts from the richness of the lizard's color) and the rope (seems more out of context than not (?) and is way too prominent). I'd think that if you did this with the lizard just on a plain white background--plain piece of paper could probably do. try a couple different angles, of course. and no flash. just light and shadows. some closer. The lizard is the interesting thing in the photo, might as well remove any distractions and make it all about a lizard (?)I think that could be kinda cool. (you did ask)

jm2c

ericO

spectru
08-06-2001, 10:13 PM
Thanks erico. I'm glad somebody else finally has noticed this critique forum.

I remember seeing a book of photographs of endangered species. I can't remember the photographers' names - it was a husband and wife team. All the animals were photographed in a studio, completely outside their natural habitat, so that the image was only the animal. There was one of an orangutan against a white background - nothing but white. Their goal was to show just the animal - no distractions. The photograpahs were very well done. It was quite effective, and just a little unsettling.

I made this picture in a national wildlife refuge. The rope is a barrier to keep humans in their place. The background is water. The anole is wild. The lighting is natural. The trick, of course, was to get this picture at all.

That's an interesting idea - to capture an anole (They are easily tamed.) and photograph it against a pure white background. The anole shows its dewlap, that red thing under the neck, as a territorial or dominance display. I don't know if a captive anole would do it. Your idea, whether it be a lizard, a spider, or whatever, might make quite an interesting project.

I photographed a kitten in the situation you describe and posted it as a response in a thread in this forum a few weeks ago. Click on the hypertext below if you care to see it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=120643#post120643

erico
08-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Okay, given the circumstances, your photo is quite nice. As for your kitten I would think that a black (or at least gray) background may have provided a little more interest and intrigue. I look forward to seeing what you come up with should you choose to go with the portrait suggestion.

spectru
08-08-2001, 10:59 PM
Hmmm. To photograph a black cat against a black background for more interest and intrigue. Easier said than done, I think.

I make most of my photographs out of doors, not in a studio, so I usually have only limited control of the background. If you like the idea of an isolated subject, click on this URL to see a black bird against white water, which I posted in the WetCanvas Animals and Wildlife forum a few days ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=164925#post164925
I will tell you up front that I could not change this background.

Do you photograph, erico?

erico
08-11-2001, 07:02 PM
black cat/ black bg could be tricky but I actually think black cat on white bg is probably trickier. As for the bird, very dramatic. very nice. Could see spiders and lizards & such in similar portrayals. and yes, i do photograph.

bloomphoto
09-03-2001, 09:00 PM
Hi spectru

I'm new here and was looking through the photography critiques and happened upon yours. I have to disagree with erico. I don't think the blue background is a distraction as much as an enhancement of the lizard's colors. The contrast is great. As for the rope, I think that is a nice addition of texture. I don't shoot wildlife. Not enough patience! I shoot lightning which is a bit crazy at times, but I never claimed to be sane!

Becky

erico
09-08-2001, 01:40 PM
I don't think the blue background is a distraction as much as an enhancement of the lizard's colors.

I would agree if there weren't so MUCH of the blue. And do you really think it NEEDS the additional texture of the rope?

(spectru, I didn't forget the limitations under which you were working. I'm just talking here.)

bloomphoto
09-08-2001, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by erico

I would agree if there weren't so MUCH of the blue. And do you really think it NEEDS the additional texture of the rope?

In my opinion, yes. I think the image works very well and I wouldn't have changed anything. I guess that's why they are called opinions, everyone has a different one. I will say there are several images on my website that wouldn't be up there unless my husband made me put them up, and they have turned out to be some of the most popular images. It would be a pretty boring world if we all thought the same way, don't you think? :)

spectru
09-08-2001, 06:47 PM
This is not a picture that I expected to make that day, but I saw it and made it. The rope and the blue background were there with the lizard. I made the photograph. I could have included less of the rope, but I chose not to.

Normally I try to catch wildlife in a natural setting. But in this case, the anole had adapted to the manmade elements in its environment. Hence the title.

I'm satisfied with the colors and the composition. I'm pleased with the exposure of the white rope and the detail of it. The background is abstract due to the blurring of the limited depth of field. That is what I wanted. I had no control over the color. Just above the rope, you can see the dark green of foliage at the waters edge. I was concerned that this would interfere with the subject and did what I could to avoid it.

I composed the picture and waited, hoping the anole would not move. It did move a couple of times, so that I had to recompose. I waited for the sun to come from behind clouds, for the anole to turn its head so i could see the catchlight, and for it to display its dewlap which happens quickly so to get it at its fullest, the timing must be perfect. I had a tendency to shoot too soon.

My freedom of movement was restricted. I had seen this lizard from my car and had stopped, opened the door, set up the tripod at a low setting to be at the lizard's eye level. The legs of the tripod were against the car while I sat on the door sill. I didn't want to move the car for fear of frightening my subject away. Eventually I did move the car, but I got no better pictures.

I'm disappointed that this photographic critique forum gets so little activity. I appreciate erico's critiques. That's why I posted this picture here. What I would really like for him, and/or others, to do is to show me - not just tell me - what kinds of things can be done to make a photograph better.

Weyo
09-09-2001, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by erico: I actually think black cat on white bg is probably trickier

im confused as to how a black cat on a white background is "tricky"?

if you have a black cat, and you have a white background, wouldnt it be harder to get anything other than a black cat on a white background? Id like to see spectru take a picture of a purple macaw on a polkadot background if he has access to only one black kitten. that would be tricky