PDA

View Full Version : Fruity Basket! WIP OP's

Mo.
11-29-2003, 07:08 PM
I started this a little while ago, the initial one hours painting posted in E-J's weekly thread, I've slowly progressed some more on this one.~~~ still a long way to go, it's a first for me, i.e. a still life of fruit, I like the way the fruit is tumbling out of the basket, has a little bit more "life" than just sitting in a bowl.

The ochre lines you see are to remind me where I have to make alterations to the shape of the fruits etc.,.

Pic was taken with a dig cam under artificial light, so colours not too good.

size 9" x12" OP's on canvas.

Any help or critique appreciated.

thanks for looking

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/5154-fruit_basket_wip001.jpg

Mo.:)

Dyin
11-29-2003, 07:49 PM
wow...two in one day! Mo, seriously, you should paint fruit more often...am loving the red apples...I'm distracted by those outlines on the pears...will wait til you adjust them and see how they look...just as good as the apples I bet. The basket is really awesome, love all the colors in it.

Kathryn Wilson
11-30-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi Mo: I took a second look and noticed how terrific the basket looked - really well detailed. Apples look good and we'll wait to comment on the pears until you get back with a WIP.

What OP's are you using on this? I tried a canvas board once and did not like the results - I thought the surface was too rough. Are you using your handmade swabs and colourshaper on this? Or the raw pastels sticks.

A girl's gotta know!

Mikki Petersen
11-30-2003, 12:53 AM
This is going to be another Mo. Masterpiece, I can see it coming! The basket is terrific and I like the leafy bough coming down over it. Will be looking for updates.

CarlyHardy
11-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Mo, it surely would be nice to see a demonstration of your oil pastel techniques sometime!

I think this is going just fine! Keep that airy feel like you have in the leafy area. Looks like we could reach out and feel the texture of your basket!
carly

Dark_Shades
11-30-2003, 05:33 AM
I hope you are enjoying this one Mo..... as you should do more...... looking forward to seeing this progress..... its a good un already.... love the texture of the basket...... top leaves....... red apples....... colours all work really well with each other

doe
11-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Mo, this is a rich and beautiful still life - can't wait to see the end result!

E-J
11-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Mo, you've already developed this considerably since you posted to the weeklies! Oil pastels are great for capturing the shine on things - especially apples - bet you're enjoying this one :)

meowmeow
11-30-2003, 03:39 PM
I like this a lot, Mo. I agree...the fruit ti=umbling out of the basket is wonderful. Your basket is terrific...and the fruit is looking yummy....this is a super start. Very ambitious!
Sandy

blissfullyunaware
11-30-2003, 04:32 PM
WOW Mo.... this is simply delishious! :clap: The detail in the apples and basket are wonderful, it has such depth! Very very nice... can't wait to see the finished piece! Thanks for sharing this with us! :D

Sharon

bnoonan
11-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Hey Mo - great job on this one and I'm glad you talked about the movement that a tipped basket gives the still life. Sometimes I find that's so difficult to capture.

I love the leaves and how they are coming out - with that hint of bluish green and that red stem - nice stuff.

The weave on the right side of the basket - what would be the top - is incredible!!!

I see you are back to full form once again!!! Congratulations!

Barb

guilliame
11-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi Mo,first of all i'm real jealous about those leaves,especially the one top right with the blue in it,still love it tho the basket and colours,gonna be a beaut when it's finished:D :clap:

Mo.
11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone for all the comments, I'll try to answer some points here, but my computer is crashing regularly on me of late, so hope I get through this okay.

Sue... Paint fruit more often? I don't think so. :D

Kat... Funny thing is here I've used mostly Senneliers, and finding I'm liking them more and more, mainly because of the methods I use, I'm using a tear off sheet of canvas from a pad I bought, a cheapy really, but would love eventually to use a proper boxed canvas, it does wear the pastels down quickly, but I'm using turps and a brush with this, trying to emulate an oil painting I suppose. Having said that I am also applying the pastel dry when it suits. Hard to explain here, but hope you understand what i'm saying.

Mikki ~~ thanks so much for the kind comments.

Carly ~~ Thankyou.... A demo. :) It will have to be next year sometime, but I'll really have a think about it.

Good job I saved this message so far, as my computer just crashed again....I'll try and be quick now....

Doe, E-J, Sandy,Dawn, Sharon,Barb, Guilli, hope I didn't miss anyone......I love all that you have said, so sorry to cut this short, but my cursor is jumpy, and I feel another crash coming on, again my apologies folks, but here's the update so far., trying to build up some solidity in the pears, worked some more on the leaves, but still not happy with the back of the basket, something wrong there, and I can't see quite what it is just yet.
Sheesh I was right ~~~crashed again, I've been saving my post to notepad every now and then just in case

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Nov-2003/5154-fruit_basket_wip002.jpg

Thanks again, hope this computer get's sorted soon.

Dyin
11-30-2003, 09:41 PM
This is getting better and better, Mo. Yep, a lot like an oil painting...I understood what you were saying as to how you're applying them. The Senneliers do have awesome pigment and nice to use when you're not going for tight detail straight off the stick. Think you need to give a little more illusion of curve on the back of the basket with a touch more shading...think that's what's buggin ya. Those pears are going to look every bit as good as those apples...loving the sheen you're getting on them.

soap
12-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Mo, I love this. Can't help much (ever seen me painting fruit? :D) but just wanted to say I like it a lot.

Mikki Petersen
12-01-2003, 02:52 AM
This painting is coming along very well. the leaves are astonishingly real, photo quality! This is a very nice composition for a still life painting.

Mo.
12-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Sue ~~ thanks eagle eye, I'll check that out, you could well have a point there.

Thanks Sophie ~~ Why not paint fruit? I reckon you can paint anything girl!

Mikki ~~ Glad you like the leaves, they are proving to be a bit of a pain as is the pears. Did some more tonight, but not happy with what I did so scraped it off, I'm at the ugly stage with this right now I think, or is it the stage where you are ready to bin it, :D

Anyay I will plough on tomorrow and hopefully overcome the frustrations.

Thanks everyone.

meowmeow
12-02-2003, 07:24 PM
Oohh.....this is coming along sooo nicely. Wonderful apples! The leaves are terrific....this is beautiful Mo.

I'm at the ugly stage with this right now I think, or is it the stage where you are ready to bin it

:D So I'm not the only who has those stages?
Keep going....this is worth it!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
12-03-2003, 01:48 AM
This is coming along superduper Mo ....... I definately think you should do more...... are you enjoying doing this?

blissfullyunaware
12-03-2003, 02:46 AM
Mo you sure are coming along on this ... Your fruit is wonderful, love it :clap: I'm with Mikki... has a photo realism thing going on BUT better :D! Thanks for showing us the WIP... even thru the frustrating part. Just can't get up the nerve to try anything with my OP's but this is inspirational! ~~~ Sharon

bnoonan
12-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Hey Mo,

What I think I like the most is how painterly this is. I love the way you captured all the planes on the pears and just loosely left the colors - it's excellent. Standing by for more work.

Barb

Dyin
12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
Mo is having trouble with her puter but can get an email through once in awhile...she finished this but has had lots of crashes trying to upload it...

isn't it beautiful???????

:clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Dec-2003/19147-fruitbasket_final001.jpg

Rosic
12-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Mo...
Simply Beautiful. I can't believe this is your first still life with fruit... looks like you have been doing them for years!

I know about the computer problems... that's why I have been scarce the past week and a half.

Rosic

Mikki Petersen
12-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Mo. this turned out so beautifully. It is quite fresh and lifelike.

You and Rosic are scaring me with all this 'puter trouble...maybe I shouldn't talk to you all until you get a fix:confused: , LOL.

thanks Dyin' for posting on Mo's behalf. I loved seeing this finished piece.

Stoy Jones
12-08-2003, 01:51 AM
I heard this was a sketch thread escapee, so thought to take a look. What a great subject and your treatment of it. Apples look absolutely ready to eat, nice and glossy! Very solid throughtout.

More clappies in order! :clap: :clap:

Stoy

Dark_Shades
12-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Excellent work Mo.......... this is one of the best ........ keep up the good work

soap
12-08-2003, 03:03 AM
wow.....romantic realism.......? ;).............love it.

E-J
12-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Everything has such a solidity to it. Great work, Mo!

meowmeow
12-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Wow! Absolutely goregous Mo! You must be so pleased...this is wonderful.
I hope the computer issues get resolved soon!

Sandy

Rosic
12-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by 1mpete
You and Rosic are scaring me with all this 'puter trouble...maybe I shouldn't talk to you all until you get a fix:confused: , LOL.

You are safe with me Mikki... my problem was the telephone line! LOL!

guilliame
12-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Mo,Dying's right it is beautiful ,and your 1st still life and it's not just an apple or and a pear on a plate,but a whole bunch upended in a basket with the bough of leaves hanging down and across,loads of claps for coming up with the composition and on top of all that the whole thing is superbly painted.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.
12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
At last my puter is stable and working fine, my Daughter's partner has been working on it all day, so I can now thank everyone for all the lovely comments posted here.

Sue thanks so much for posting and for all your encouragement.;)

Thankyou Rosic, but it's not really my first still life. I've messed about from life before with the usual apples and tomatoes sort of thing, but a first with the OP's. and first really serious one. ~ Mikki thankyou ~ I've been fixed now so it's safe to talk to me again. :D ~~ Stoy thanks for the clappies, glad you like it. ~~ Many thanks Dawn, not sure whether I'd do more :) ~~ Sophie I like your description of "romantic Realism" Sounds so nice, thankyou. ~~~

Thanks E-J, getting those pears to look solid was quite a challenge at one stage they looked more like spuds. :) ~~ Sandy thanks very much, yes I am pleased with the outcome, those OP's are not that easy to master, but it's fun learning. :) ~~ Guilli thankyou for all the clappies and lovely compliments.

It's so very good to read all the great comments here, thankyou all so much. :)

Gotta go now and feed my hungry Techy, poor man hasn't eaten all day, I think he's earned a good meal. :)

Mikki Petersen
12-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Hooray for Mo! Glad to have you back on the airwaves!

Mo.
12-09-2003, 07:25 PM
LOL!!! Thanks Mikki, good to back and have a puter that works again. :)

Kathryn Wilson
12-09-2003, 07:26 PM
I know what Sophie means - it has an old world look to it - done by one of the old masters. Very nice indeed, Mo!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: