PDA

View Full Version : Isabey Watercolor Brushes

learning to paint
09-19-2000, 09:15 PM
I was going to take the giant step and order some W&N Series 7 brushes today, but at the last minute, I bought Isabey 6227Z brushes instead. Larger sizes: 6, 8, 10.

The order was by mail. Did I do right? Anyone with experience with Isabey 6227Z brushes?

sassybird
09-21-2000, 03:03 PM
Isabey I have heard does not hold up as well as WN. I prefer WN in my work.

------------------
sass

Gisela
09-21-2000, 03:09 PM
I haven't touched my WN brushes since i got my Isabey brushes last year. They're my favorites!

Gisela

------------------

Artworks by Gisela Towner (http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/gisela)

LindaE
09-22-2000, 12:41 AM
I have both Series 7 and Isabey. I don't know if Isabey will withstand the test of time and repeated use, but I like them so far.

learning to paint
09-25-2000, 09:36 PM
The Isabeys arrived, I tried them briefly, and returned them. Far too floppy, not nearly enough control. I ordered the W&N instead.

I guess some of this relates to what you do with watercolors. For me, I like the soft areas (wet on wet, etc.) but I also like precision when the mood strikes. So some soft and some more rigid (W&N) brushes seems right.

I'll report on my progress.

learning to paint
09-28-2000, 06:25 PM
I returned the Isabey brushes. Instead, I bought the W&N Series 7 brushes. Big differences. The W&N's seemed to:

1. Hold more paint
2. Remain more firm
3. Spread a far more even wash
4. Point up to an extremely sharp point. Even the #8 brush, whose plume is nearly an inch tall, could paint a fine line.

These brushes are probably 35% more expensive than the Isabey brushes. But they're worth it. At least from one night's very happy use.

VictoriaS
09-28-2000, 07:09 PM
[/B]But they're worth it.[/B]

I'm glad to know this. Thanks for the report. I've been thinking about getting better brushes, and wondering if I'd really notice any difference.

Dennis
09-29-2000, 01:16 AM
What do you recommend for flats - say 3/4" to 2"?

learning to paint
10-02-2000, 08:52 PM
For flats, I would DEFINITELY invest in the AKWARELA Kolinksy sable brushes from Rochester Art Supply. They're just about the only sable flats made for watercolor, and they are firm and responsive. They're apparently custom-made for Rochester Art Supply, and not available from their web site. You've got to call their 800 number (it's area code 716). Web site: www.fineartstore.com (http://www.fineartstore.com)

Cheaper, and not too bad: W&N Spectre Gold series. One of many good synthetic series with flats. But I'd definitely go for the AWKARELAs.

Dennis
10-03-2000, 12:51 AM
Thank you, "Learning to Paint", I will check them out. Dennis

ameliajordan
10-03-2000, 11:07 AM
Glad for the tip on flats. I have one Isabelle but it is a squirrel mop where you really want a floppy brush. For spreading water around, it's a great brush.