PDA

View Full Version : Cheap candlestick findings

quill
11-29-2003, 11:15 AM
I wanted to share this.

There are so many great candlesticks being done but the cost of the findings is a little too steep for some of us.

I figured if I looked around I might be able to find something a little bit cheaper to use.

I found these bases at one of my local dollar stores. Nothing fancy but they are sturdy, the base & top unscrew & the cost was only about $2 each. If you wanted you would not have to use the ruffled collar.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/10390-candlesticks.jpg

I also like that you don't have to make a ton of beads for these. They measure just 5" high.

gwacie
11-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks Linda. I found some too - will try to take photos later. I think it was Jill Symons who first mentioned this and made me start trying to untwst every single candle stick I come across (grin).

I like what you've done with those - nice job!

Emjay
11-29-2003, 11:43 AM
Very nice, Quill! I agree the price on the candlesticks is higher than I want to pay for any more. I just got a couple sets to try them for Christmas gifts. BUT, now that I see how much fun they are to do, and I have a shop that wants them, I want more. I enlisted my VERY handy DH, and he thinks he's come up with a way to make some for me! They's be a little heavier, which I don't think is a bad idea--less chance of tipping. If he actually makes any, I'll post them.
Jean

koregon
11-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi Linda,
Those look a ton sturdier...I have some of the ones you can buy through Heritage and I was surprised at how flimsy they were.
They also are only designed to hold a little votive or floating candle or something...not normal size candles, I have yet to use mine ....yours are awesome since you can use tapers in them and they are so solid looking...thanks for the idea on looking elsewhere...I know I found a wine stopper and was going to buy it and make one to have around but the screw unscrewed wrong so I didn't buy it....but I did find some awesome pewter bookmarks at the dollar store...and I am going to make some dandle lampwork bookmarks with them....I am always looking to be able to incorporate beads into items I buy.

Orca
11-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Linda,
Which "brand" of dollar store was it? I'd love to look around the lower mainland, but there are literally dozens of different dollar stores.

Yours look fantastic!

quill
11-29-2003, 07:17 PM
I found a wine stopper and was going to buy it and make one to have around but the screw unscrewed wrong so I didn't buy it

Well, Kaye, if I had known you were wanting one I would have sent one with your bead. I bought 50.

Which "brand" of dollar store was it?

Just got back from grocery shopping & checked. It was a 'Dollar Store & a whole lot more'. I don't know if it is part of a chain or not?

DonnaBee
11-29-2003, 07:22 PM
That is a sweet find Linda!

I am going to be searching for things at the dollar stores around here! (The one in my town has nothing like this.:( I ran out and checked today when I saw this thread!)

crsann
11-29-2003, 08:02 PM
boy oh boy I can see my near future scoping out dollar stores of which we have an abundance.
chrisann

quill
11-29-2003, 08:17 PM
It also comes in a brushed silver finish.
Here is a pic of it apart-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2003/10390-stick.jpg

I think it was Jill Symons who first mentioned this and made me start trying to untwst every single candle stick I come across

I am having the same problem. Every likely one I see in a store gets picked up & twisted.

beachbeads
11-30-2003, 05:44 AM
I agree on the cost of the others, and I found a bunch of brass one's at the Salvation Army that unscrew and have a small enough stand for beads. I love all the idea's everyone is coming up with for use of beads. Sheila

craftylady
11-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Linda what size mandrel are you using? I have searched High and low for some candles sticks. There are none to be had in my neck of the woods. By the way they look good.

DonnaBee
11-30-2003, 04:45 PM
I wish that a woodturner would market some for us in unfinished wood...

Then we could paint them, or stain them, or gild them, or decoupage them, or.... or...

I do prefer the shorter ones, and I would like to get them cheap! I'm a cheapskate!

Off to another dollar store...

Moth
11-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Well as soon as I read this thread I grabbed my husband's wallet and keys and drove up the street to the 'Family Dollar' that is here in town.

No luck with candlesticks of any sort except for the ceramic ones. DRATS...and I had my hopes up too. I would have marched myself right over to the hardware store to buy the size welding rod I would need for mandrels. I had myself all set.

Ended up all I bought was a new laundry basket and some stacking shelves for the laundry room. Oh well...that kept me busy for a little while.

I am going to check all the other dollar stores too. LOL A new 'Dollar General' is opening here right before Christmas.

~~Mary

Jillie Beads
12-01-2003, 01:37 PM
I went to my local dollar store this morning, Dollar Tree and I found the type that unscrew, but they don't have a neck. Do you think I could put a mandrel in between and glue them together? Jill