PDA

View Full Version : CarbOthello vs Conte pastel pencils?

CoolArtiste
11-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Which one is better? I noticed Conte costs a little more. Which one is harder? How does Derwent compare to these? Derwent costs more, but an art supply web site describes them as being student quality while describing Conte as artist quality. Which brand has the most lightfast pigments?

By the way, I bought Ko-Hi-Noor Gioconda and they are trash. The colors are not luminous or strong. They're too soft and they wear down really quick. They seem chalky. I don't want to waste money on junk like this again. CarbOthello is not junk, is it?

Deborah Secor
11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
I don't like the Conte, and haven't used Derwent. I have Carb Othellos and they're okay, but my current favorites are the Cretacolors. They're very nice colors, not too soft or too hard, they sharpen nicely with a blade and become somewhat creamy over other layers of pastel.

There are some pencil experts in here that might have better advice, however, so I'd defer to their judgment if they give advice...

Deborah

Mary Robinson
11-29-2003, 06:14 PM
I think the type of pencil is entirely up to the individual and the technique being used, though I have all of the major brands of pastel pencil for my last project, the Lightning seascape piece, I used carb othellos and creatacolor. Conte pastel pencil is softer, but had hard spots I found and didn't work well with the technique of layering color that I was using. Derwents are a bit harder than Conte. But as I said, I found the Carb Othellos and the Creatacolor to work best over regular pastel, and itself for that matter, I was able to layer a bunch of colors as long as I did it lightly, I was also using vellum as opposed to a regular pastel paper, I find it holds an amazing amount of pastel.

Mary