PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Boat

lbailey
07-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Another in my Maine Coast paintings. This one too is off Port Clyde. Any suggestions willbe gratefully accepted.
Larry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/BOAT_STORM.JPG

rsmak
07-21-2001, 11:23 PM
it is nice.
rosanna

ZOTMA
07-22-2001, 02:00 AM
Strong so far. Do you have a reference photo to post, it would help to make better suggestions I think.
Based on my experiences with the ocean I've found that it tends to darken (even if reflecting clouds) towards the horizon. Also seems as though there's a change in color in the sky at the horizon due to atmosphere (again even when it's cloudy). The boat and the water in the foreground are well rendered.

wendee
07-22-2001, 04:27 AM
this is nice...but i agree with Zotma about the horizon..the ocean gets darker there and the sky lighter...think thats how it goes.:D

TeAnne
07-22-2001, 06:25 AM
very very nice. :cat:

turtle
07-22-2001, 10:06 AM
Hey I'm over here on the New Hampshire coast and I thought I'd write not only to compliment what you have here but because I'm trying to tackle similar material. Are you working from a photo? Two things really catch my eye here and distract me 1 the boat seems too clean unless it's a new boat they usually have a neat worn or weathered look and it almost seems to plump or rounded. It looks solid and you've rendered it beautifully but is it turning? 2 the water you have here is striking you've really captured the wetness of it and that sleak look of light on the water but again it seems almost too clean. Maybe as someone else had suggested the water simply needs to be darker that would give you a chance to really show the contrast with those darks and lights. Beautiful work really.:)

Victor
07-22-2001, 11:52 AM
I like it, I'm not a seascape painter and no expert but I have always assumed that the sea had to be lighter on the horizon and darker as it comes toward you. The sky darker at the top and lighter on the horizon. This gives the painting a good depth of field and distance. Tell me if I'm a babbling maniac...

Vic :)

JeanineJ
07-22-2001, 01:09 PM
I'd like to know where the sun is? An appropriate shadow on the hull of the boat would work for me!!! Great painting!

Fagan
07-22-2001, 01:35 PM
Lovely sky!! I like that streak of red on the bottom of the boat. I too think you need something to make this pop....you have all of the components working....just need that spark. *SMILE*

bobsart
07-22-2001, 09:00 PM
If you like the horizon as is, you'll need to make the foreground and boat more intense. Check out my Italian schooner posting and see what I did to the horizon and diminishing land mass in the background. You need to give it a little more depth.

I like your work. I too am a fan of Maine;)