PDA

View Full Version : My first boro bead!

aimee
11-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Well, I finally got some clear boro and was brave enough to try my sample pack from Glass Alchemy that Matt got me for my birthday (four months ago).

I only made one, but I'm very happy with it and will definately be making some more.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday re-reading all the old posts about boro. Thanks everyone for all the great tips that are out there.

AbstractHeart
11-28-2003, 04:16 PM
soo o oo pretty!! I can't tell u anything about technique..not a glassworker myself but just wanted to say u did a great job!!!
:clap:

vintagelb
11-28-2003, 05:10 PM
hello aimee.
my name is annie... i work with boro... i have a question...ok was that made on a mandrel?? and if so .. can u tell me what u did.. i do not use mandrels but i would like to try one.. i have bead release.. for soft glass..beads.. will this work for boro too? also do u put the whole bead into the kiln mandrel and all?
ok i would love more info??
thanks alot..
annie
www.glassbeadstore.com

aimee
11-28-2003, 06:05 PM
It was made on a mandrel. I use FosterFire bead release and it says it okay for boro and there have been alot of others here that have said they use it.

My kiln has a bead door on it so the mandrel sticks out alittle but there are some kilns that the mandrel goes all the way in on.

I separated the sample rods that I had by how the label said to use them (ox flame, WYSIWYG, etc.) Then I just picked a couple of the colors I liked, made a small clear disk, added a layer of a transparent color, added some dots, added dots to the dots, melted them in, and them encased in clear. Didn't really try anything fancy, I was too nervous about burning a color or something so I just wanted to get it made. But I wasn't bad at all and the boro is stiffer then moretti but nothing like what I thought it was going to be after reading some of the post.

Can't wait to get out there after dinner and make some more.

vintagelb
11-29-2003, 01:08 AM
ok so what kinda temperature are we talking.. i do not have the wholes on the kiln.. but that is ok.. so let me get this straight... u made the bead over bead release on the madrel??? then put in kiln??? then annealed??? then.. took off mandrel and finished ect...
is this correct..
i guess my fear is.. will the metal mandrel melt in kiln....i do not wanna start a fire.. hahahah
and will the bead release work.. i only have bead release for soft glass..
i do not use mandrels.. i make all my beads free hand... so its weird using a metal stick...
thanks for the reply.. maybe i can try this over the weekend and tell u what i get..
oh by the way .,.. boro dose not burn out... not like soft glass.. i found in my time with glass .. soft glass is way harder then boro... there is really no shock... unless its cold out.. and much more forgiving...
thanks alot
annie

redfrog
11-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Aimee, wow! that is pretty............. please let us see what you made last night. I personally hope you are bringing them on Wednesday???? Tanya

Amozoo
11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Aimee, Your a natural at boro! that's great.

aimee
11-29-2003, 01:31 PM
The mandrel will be fine. The temp is only at a little over a 1000.

For me, it seems alot easier making the bead on the mandrel. Just wrap the glass around it, keep turning the mandrel in the flame and the bead gets nice and round for you.

When the bead comes out of the kiln all you have to do is slide it of the mandel, clean out the bead release and that's it.

I know it's harder then that, but just for a quick overview that'll work. There are alot of others here that could give you a much better explaination.

vintagelb
11-29-2003, 08:04 PM
ok i am ready to try it.. i have a few madrels here from soft glass i will try a few tonight and hope to show u tomorrow...
thanks for all your help..
annie

aimee
11-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Good luck! I can't wait to see.

The beads on your website are beautiful. You should post some of them here on the show n tells. I didn't get to look at all of them yet, I'm on a dial-up here at home and it takes forever for pics to load.

vintagelb
11-29-2003, 08:33 PM
where is a show and tell..
i am new to this board.. thanks for looking at my website... as u can probly tell i am not much for the mandrel.. more free hand shapes.. and stuff.. but this should be interesting..

i really like your web site too.. your beads are very pretty .. i lack that shape bead.. anything with whole in it.. so mandrels i am hoping will be just what i was looking for...

off to work ..

hopefully pic for tomorrow...
thanks again for your help ..
annie

aimee
11-29-2003, 09:04 PM
There's a new show n tell everyday in the glass works showcase. It'll usually have the date on it and something about show n tell or s&t. It's usually two or three pages of recent beads that people have done.

Also, if you haven't yet, you should go to the lobby and introduce yourself.

lwdstk66
11-29-2003, 10:33 PM
nice work.
i will be brave one day!!

vintagelb
12-03-2003, 09:10 PM
ok i have a question,,,,
i was trying some beads in boro on a mandrel.. ok.. so the madrel burned off... like a peice of it burned off....

i made 5 beads should have pictures tomorrow..

any ideas on why the mandrel broke?? i guess it got to hot .. but i never thought that would happen..
ok talk to u soon
annie

redsidedesigns
12-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Aimee,
Your beads look great, you did a very nice job getting to colors to fire out evenly. My first ones looked like drying mud, all grey out and will bits of brown, and I didn't even use a color what was supposted to turn brown.

Annie,
Yes you can burn through the mandrel very easly if the flame hits the spot for too long. I still do it if I am not paying attention too were the flame it hitting. Signs of it about to happen you will start to see little bits of metal start to spark and if you don't get the flame away fast enough it will burn through.
I can't wait too see your beads, your off the mandrel beads are beautiful!

Kristan

vintagelb
12-04-2003, 12:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2003/32377-mandrelbead.jpg

ok every one.. i made 6 beads.... 2 are still stock on the mandrel.. hahah.... so any way this is it (the 4 i got off) ... i donno how good they are.. i like the green one..
so how do u get the stuff out of the whole... i used a tooth brush... only some came out..

ok so thanks for evey ones help.. this was very fun... i will post more soon...

talk to u all later..
annie

www.glassbeadstore.com