http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/liveoak1.jpg

Pastel on some kind of sanded board, 10" x 14"

Ruth

Ruth
07-21-2001, 05:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/liveoak2.jpg

TeAnne
07-22-2001, 03:01 AM
Awesome, :D I wish I had a decent treee in my yard. Daryl trimmed them the other week :(
What tree is this one?

Sandra Nunes
07-22-2001, 11:17 AM
Congratulations Ruth. I like very much your pastel strokes and the depht and richness you get in your darks. What was the color of your underpainting in this one? Could you tell us what pastel brand do you use for the darks and perhaps show a short description on working process ?;)
Tks in advance.
Sandra

Bobbie
07-22-2001, 03:14 PM
Your tree is gorgeous. I, too, am anxious to hear about underpainting and pastels used. I also really enjoyed the close-up. It's great to be able to see the detail.

Ruth
07-23-2001, 06:54 AM
Thank you for your comments!

I don't do underpainting. I used a piece of Canson dark green paper and drew directly onto that. The pastels are some that were sent to me by Terry Ludwig, who is a member of WetCanvas. I haven't seen him around here lately, but you can look him up in the member list. He has a website and he sells these pastels. I especially like his dark greens and dark reds.

In any medium, I like to get an interplay of warms and cools, so that cool areas have a touch of warm, and vice versa. You can see that in the close-up. To me, it gives more life to the colors.

Ruth

Sandra Nunes
07-23-2001, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your kind answer Ruth!
As you mentioned in your post it was pastel on some kind of sanded board I thought you had worked on underpainting and in the close up we notice an impasto quality that the sanded papers generally lend to pastels . Thanks once more.
Sandra

Ruth
07-23-2001, 04:31 PM
Oh, yeah that's right. It was just gray sanded board. I didn't do any underpainting.

Having a senior moment there. :D

Ruth

Bobbie
07-24-2001, 11:51 AM
Thanks for your response, Ruth. I will try to remember about using warms & cools - I do use them but not in this fashion - such a lovely effect.

Pink
07-26-2001, 01:10 AM
gorgous tree!!! i love your line work here. the short dashes that make up the tree and the beautiful colors!!! love it!
-Pink-

LDianeJohnson
07-26-2001, 06:40 PM
Ruth,

Powerful and direct tree! So nice to see some flowers in bloom where you are now too. Love that driveway.

D.

TeAnne
07-27-2001, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by TeAnne
Awesome, :D I wish I had a decent treee in my yard. Daryl trimmed them the other week :(
What tree is this one? oooooooops, it's a live oak tree, sorry for being non observent to your title.