PDA

View Full Version : Fish. Please Help On This Big Painting

Nathan Reed
07-21-2001, 01:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/fish.jpg

4'-4' Oil/Canvas

Help. I'm not sure where to go with this. Feel free to edit it with ideas.

Free2bu
07-21-2001, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure I'm qualified to critique but I think this is beautiful, vibrant intense colors, I like it.

dupliKate
07-21-2001, 01:44 PM
I like the movement and the colours...but I found my eye wandered around the painting without a place to rest. Everything seemed to lead to the centre, but there wasn't anything there.

How about a very red Koi, somewhere off centre, to focus the eye. Or a water lily, a submerged rock?

It is very beautiful as it is, and BIG! Wow, I wish I could see it in real life.

:) :) K

Nathan Reed
07-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Thanks Free2bu.

Kate, Yes. Thank you for these suggestions. I agree with you. I've created more of a pattern than a picture at this point.

If anyone else has ideas on what you'd like to see in it please let me know.

everetto
07-21-2001, 04:01 PM
I think you've done a great job so far! You have chosen something very difficult to depict.

What I would like to see is a bit more clarity. Maybe blend a spot or two of the closest fish into clearly presented scales or a fin. And maybe a few waves would have a crisp swirl. Even a few little tidbits of something floating on the surface.

A photographic view of this scene would probably not be very visually interesting, because the fish would be blurry just as you have them here. My suggestion is to use your "artistic license" to add some solidity to the painting.

If you would happen to try that though, it would be more convincing if you would only have certain spots of th fish clear- as if to suggest that those spots are closer to the viewer and not as obscured by the water.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

JeanineJ
07-21-2001, 04:10 PM
This is terrific! We have a koi pond, and I have yet to muster the courage to paint these hardy rascals...
>I agree with previous comments to add touches of definition and a center of interest with an orange/red fish...
>I'd be cautious with floating objects keeping them off to one corner... Your water patterns are so divine!
>If you like, add a black fish in the mix (good luck)... and perhaps one asking for food with "O" mouth toward surface!

jerryW
07-21-2001, 04:40 PM
c'est magnifique!
c'est fantastique!

dornberg
07-21-2001, 07:09 PM
this is a nicely abstracted scene
the purple and green is occupied with subtle reds and yellows
the light green line pervades
as would a surface reflection,
tying all more closely together within their layer

paths move up from loer left,
past a holding pattern lower middle,
on the right they leave and enter

Ceu
07-21-2001, 10:01 PM
I don't understand why you would want to change anything, but at the same time I do.
maybe you can put just a tad of color in the fish like if one was looking at them from the top close to the water and they could see the fish right there, or just leave it like it is and one is looking at them from a bridge and the colors are just what they are.

ZOTMA
07-21-2001, 10:52 PM
there are some good suggestions here to get you going. I personally think adding detail to one (possibly having it come to the surface with the mouth open for food) would bring the interest you might feel it's lacking (not that there isn't, this is rich with rhythm and color)

Nathan Reed
07-22-2001, 12:49 AM
Thank you for the tips everyone.

This piece has had me befuddled... I painted myself into a corner. I didn't have a complete strategy or finished vision, I just pieced elements together to get what you see here.

Unfortunately it is not a finished piece and I saw no way out of the maze of dancing waves. The eye does not have anywhere to go and there's not enough visual interest.

I'm going to take about 3 or 4 steps back to get out of the trap I got into so that I can find a way to finish. Today I went ahead and started to rework the entire concept. I'll repost it here shortly.

I am now behind where I was, but I'll work on it.

Nathan Reed
07-22-2001, 01:12 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/fishswirl.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality scan.

Here's my justification for going this direction with the painting:

This painting is for my mom who has a koi pond.

My mom thought she had a leak in her pond 3 weeks ago. She then dreamt (nightmare) that her pond went dry and all her fish were flopping aroound. When I fiddled around with photoshop I found a swirling pond ripple that created a leak in my mom's painting here. SORRY, MOM.:crying: Eventually, the painting should look like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2001/fish3.jpg
I know I'm cheating a bit using photoshop to tweak my painting (for visual resource)... but I figure mom won't mind;)

bbbilly1326
07-22-2001, 05:27 AM
Gosh Nate, this makes it a whole different painting, but it also looks quite skillful. To my mind, the latest one puts too much "closure" on the painting and robs it of some of its ambiguous and serene charm.

I fiddled in Photoshop with it because I wanted to offer you some kind of suggestion for the other one, but it was so crude-looking I decided not to post it. If you want to see it, I'll email it to you if you send me a message. It only has a suggestion for the location of a color focal point, nothing else.

You're really stretching yourself these days it seems. Admirable (see our discussion of Artistic Vision on Debates, about the topic of moving outside your "comfort zone" as Swan terms it).

Bill

tess2000
07-24-2001, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Nathan Reed
Sorry for the poor quality scan.

Here's my justification for going this direction with the painting:

Wow what a major differance. But now all I see is the ripple. I was going to suggest putting a center fish nibbling off the bottom with a tail fin lopped out of the water.

For your moms worries, when I built my pond, I built it so I could place the submersible pump above the bottom level(in case of hose leaks). I also made a deeper "hole" in the bottom middle where I placed a very heavy plastic tub (its about 18" deep)and some heavy rocks to hold it down. The liner was under that so if the liner developed a leak at least the fish could flop into the tub and still survive. Don't know how big your moms pond is but if it a small one this is a good way to protect the fish from certain death in the event of a large leak.

Tess

Nathan Reed
07-24-2001, 04:41 PM
Bill,

Thank you. Yes, please e-mail me your suggestion or post it here. I'm not concerned with crude. Any ideas are helpful.

Also, thank you for your honesty. I think you put your finger on what I had a problem with. Yes, charm was lost in the revision. I am going to proceed anyway. I like my current direction despite the fact that it shows less of who I am and more of a gimmicky view. At least now the eye won't struggle as much...

Tess, Thanks for the helpful hints... I still have your picture of koi saved for reference material. I figure you are the authority on it. I am out of my element as Bill seems to be aware. I think I'm naturally a people painter... it's just that my mom wanted a koi picture, so I'm trying to find a way to put my heart into it:)

ftb
07-24-2001, 04:49 PM
Nathan, the bottom of the pound with the light rays looks great! I agree with everyone and you that it needs more I like everyone's ideas try one of those, Manteca stink town I live in Oakdale cow boy capital of the world...

Nathan Reed
07-24-2001, 04:56 PM
ftb,
Jokedale, home of the Oakies:D Hi neighbor, I can visit you in 28 minutes... so watch it buddy... PLUS Spreckels Sugar was doin' most of the stinkin' up, and that's gone now... We're commute town now.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I'll get this painting worked out... see you at the count fair:D

ftb
07-24-2001, 05:13 PM
ftb,
Jokedale, home of the Oakies:D Hi neighbor, I can visit you in 28 minutes... so watch it buddy... PLUS Spreckels Sugar was doin' most of the stinkin' up, and that's gone now... We're commute town now.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I'll get this painting worked out... see you at the count fair:D

I know you don't stink anymore just playin with ya..You go to the fairs with your art work? I've just started showing my stuff here at wetcanvas and to family, would like to show in a fair is that a good thing? I haven't been painting very long and never had any schooling..

bbbilly1326
07-25-2001, 02:43 PM
OK Nate, here's the PS thing I did; just a suggestion for location of the focal point of the original. Color's way to strong and wrong; I'm not too good with PS :)

Bill

JeanineJ
07-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Interesting effect spells "turmoil" for fishies... Lost energy, certain death.... flush... YIKES! I, too, keep a rather large koi pond, and recently installed an "auto fill" which maintains water level... I have been wanting to do a painting of them for months and haven't figured out how to do it! I WISH I could get somthing as beautiful as your first post... My vote would be to print a copy for your mum (and digital art competitions) and stick to the original for framing!

Nathan Reed
07-28-2001, 12:52 AM
ftb,

Great to have you as my neighbor, ftb. I do a lot of construction work in Oakdale. I work on custom homes that are going in near Orange Blossom Rd: Alarms, Central Vacuums, Home Theatres, and Intercoms.

No, I have never showed any of my paintings in public... only on this sight and to friends (just like you)... I'm new to painting so I really don't know what direction to take it, yet.

Bill, Thanks for the focal point location. I appreciate you taking the time to focus on me a little. You are a good painter friend. If ever I come to Germany, I'll be sure to try to find you... :D

Jeanine,
You are TOO kind. Thanks for your encouragement.:)

bbbilly1326
07-28-2001, 09:00 AM

Bill, Thanks for the focal point location. I appreciate you taking the time to focus on me a little. You are a good painter friend. If ever I come to Germany, I'll be sure to try to find you... :D

Plenty of room for the whole family here...:)

Bill

MALARKEY
07-28-2001, 07:10 PM
I like what you have done so far... If it is a light colored fish you are looking for for a focal point , you are welcome to use my reference photo. good luck, Sandy http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2001/koi14.jpg

giniaad
07-29-2001, 02:43 PM
just thought I'd put my vote in for the first rendition...
with maybe some of the suggestions for "bringing up the fish"

The third seems to be more about the water than the fish, though it is very stimulating to look at.

colors are rich and wonderful...

ginia

timelady
07-29-2001, 03:34 PM
I like this, the strokes are loose and vague and that makes it a bit more magical and soothing. I find the 2nd version a bit unsettling though.

Can I make a drastic, sacriligious suggestion? Now, I mean no offense by this, but it's something I do a lot so thought I'd offer it up -

Cut the piece across the middle horizontally - I think the top and bottom make LOVELY images that are more balanced (I agree the center needed something more for the larger image). And would look nice framed side-by-side.

Okay, you can gasp in horror at me now. :) Sorry.

Tina.

Nathan Reed
07-29-2001, 04:07 PM
Malarkey, Thank you for the picture... I may use it.

Giniaad, Thanks, I have already commited myself to the second rendition though.

Timelady, thank you for your comments. Don't worry, any criticism you make is a fine...

I have not worked on this painting since the last post... I am considering ditching all of it and creating a scene with people. I am having a hard time putting my heart into a painting with fish.... As much as I think fish are beautiful, I just don't have any interest in painting them. All comments are welcome....