PDA

View Full Version : How does art enhance your life?

judithj
11-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Hey there!

I am hoping that you all might consider sharing some of the ways that art enhances your life. Here is a list of some of the ways art has enhanced and influenced my life.

I am more visually aware of my surroundings.

Simple things that I would have taken for granted become beautiful.

I can organize large amounts of information in a creative and logical way.

I feel that the world is opening up with possibilities.

I can figure stuff out on my own...

I have become more comfortable with the creative process and can apply it to anything that I am doing - from cooking to cleaning to writing business proposals.

I have a better sense of how people perceive visual information, since that is how I am trying to communicate.

I am more in tune with my intuition and my inner voice.

I am looking forward to hearing how art has enhanced your life. Warmest Regards, Judith

voodoolily
11-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Oooh, good idea.

Most importantly, like you, I am much more aware of my surroundings.

It's giving me a better sense of myself as a person too. After a work is finished, it's a mirror.

It's made me more comfortable with myself as a person. I'm not quite sure how, but it does.

It's made me realize there's something more than just being content with life.

Mag
11-27-2003, 04:12 PM
It doesn't matter how bad a day I am having or what's on my mind at any particular moment, once I start painting I become totally focused on what I am doing. The other effects I have noticed also. I am just a happier person and yes I am constantly looking at the colours I see and what is in front of me.
I realize that that beyond the obvious is a world of interesting things and ideas.

Rose Queen
11-28-2003, 08:07 AM
I concur with what the three people preceding me in this thread have said about the effect of art on their lives (and I will probably agree with what those who follow will have to say), but I would also add that art lifts me up when I am in the doldrums. When life's feeling a little blue or stale or uninteresting, I take myself off to one of Los Angeles' many museums or galleries and I always come out feeling better.

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

judithj
11-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi Lily - yes - excellent points - I find that art gives me a real sense of accomplishment too. If I do something I really like - it makes me feel good - and I like that feeling. I find your point about art being a mirror very interesting, you are so right - I just never thought of it that way before.

Hi Mag - I find that art focuses me too. I find myself more grounded and centered within myself and relaxed when I am making art. Quietness really helps me work. It almost becomes a meditation. I wonder if making art changes our brain wave patterns like meditation does?

I find that time just slips away when I am making art without my being aware of it.

Hi Rose - When I really feel down in the dumps I go for a walk with my camera and that makes me feel better every time. I have an intuitive drawing method that is really playful that helps me feel better too... If I had a museum close by I bet that would be a great way to dig my way out too.

I think that it is very interesting that there are 3 comments that are very similar:

1) I realize that that beyond the obvious is a world of interesting things and ideas.
2) It's made me realize there's something more than just being content with life.
3) I feel that the world is opening up with possibilities.

So if I mix the three we get -- Art helps us to open up to something more beyond the obvious.

Mmmmmmm.

Thanks, Judith

Morganna
11-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Hi all, (its been awhile since I've posted. It has been a wild summer and fall)

My art makes me feel like a person. A bit drastic, I know but its true. It has taken my self esteem to heights its never been before. It has brought me through allot of tough times too. And I do observe people and objects now that two years ago I would have other wise not noticed. I've always been creative, but it was not until I learned how to see that I finally got the feelings I wanted to achieve through my art. In short It makes me feel good at this stage rather than discourages.

Angelfish
11-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi! Art has enhanced my life in so many ways...

It has opened up opportunities professionally that I never would have dreamed possible.
It gives me peace and solitude in the midst of a demanding day.
It has increased my knowledge of the world around me. I love to research a topic while creating a series of art.
It gives me moments of excitement when I 'discover' a new technique or the possiblilites that inspiration brings.
It builds my self confidence
It teaches me about myself
I have met many friends through art
Art makes me feel 'full'

ttfn
Kathleen

MicheleO
11-29-2003, 07:09 PM
Judith:clap:.. What a great post you started.
Everyone has shared such great thoughts and ideas.

I agree with all of them absolutely. I notice the smallest little details, animals, nature etc. and I also am thankful for being able to see them as only an artist could. I know that this is a gift we all have.

I am also my most centered, sane, happy, relaxed, focused .. when practicing art regularly.

And yes, like many of you, has saved me from some truly difficult times..

Thank you all for sharing such great insights..

Sashalynn
11-30-2003, 06:49 AM
It gives me a sense of peacefullness, a quiet within me I cant seem to get any other way. I dont know how else to explain it.

sashalynn

midcoast
12-01-2003, 04:42 PM
I am more aware of colors.

No matter what has happened that day, painting is a huge de-stressor. There is never a "bad" day of painting :)

I am much happier and more balanced when I paint.

I get to meet many, many really cool people, in workshops, at exhibits, and at shows.

I can show people exactly how I see something :)

Because of my painting, my boyfriend and I have "connected" on a level that I've never connected with anyone before. He's not an artist, but has a wonderful eye for composition and color, and is an avid collector. It's great to be able to share this very core part of me with someone else.

I get to make a mess and it's OK!

Nancy

Keith Russell
12-01-2003, 05:25 PM
I've been living and breathing art (including reading and writing, and listening to and playing music) my entire life.

I have never experienced life without art; I've never experienced an 'unenhanced' life.

I thus have no idea how art has enhanced my life.

K

EarthTones
12-06-2003, 02:25 AM
*I am mindful and appreciative of even the smallest details.
*I am very disciplined...and although I am not anal about it, I will not be satisfied until a project or task (art related or not) is finished to my complete satisfaction.
*I have met some amazing people through my artistic journey.
*I love to look at beautiful things..I have learned to see beauty in just about everything.
*I have become very creative in just about every aspect of my being...problem solving, human relations, etc.
*Creating my art is another form of meditation...I am at peace.
*I can always give someone a one of a kind gift, that comes from the heart.

princess buttercup
12-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Like others have said, I've come to notice details that I never would have appreciated before... light, shadow, color, form. When I see something beautiful or interesting my mind immediately begins planning out how I would draw it.

The other day on the way to school, I noticed a tree stump by the side of the road. The light hit it in such a way as to make the light and shadow areas really distinct, and my first thought was just how amazingly 3-dimensional it looked! Then I remembered it WAS 3-dimensional...:o

Another thing I've noticed is that I feel a certain affection for the things I've drawn... looking at something so closely and seeing it so well creates a sense of intimacy. There is a tree outside my window which, ever since I drew it a year ago, somehow feels like an old familiar friend.

ladywolf1
12-09-2003, 10:51 AM
hi all....
great thoughts here.... all of them...

you know, i've often thought "what would my life be without art"? It is something I cannot imagine...

*like Keith, I have been doing art since I was a very young child.... i have no memories where art wasn't involved.... i probably arrived in the delivery room and grabbed the pen out of the doctor's pocket...

*i would not be complete without art.... it is an integral part of my soul & spirit & being.... i believe my existence in this world already had art there prior to my birth.... not the reversal.
so, for me.... art is how I return to my souls "home".
therefore,
Life was my art enhancement.....

*too far out, lol!?:rolleyes:
ok, ... time to go shovel snow...

cheri

EarthTones
12-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ladywolf1
Life was my art enhancement.....

This statement right here sums it up beautifully for me...and probably so many others. Wow!

Alachua Artist
12-09-2003, 01:39 PM
great topic;

However, I can now imagine life without art.

I've been in an accident, and will be unable to paint for about 8 weeks while I mend. My pastels sit in their own dust; my paint tube caps remain on the tubes instead of the floor; my papers and canvas stand clean and unmarked. Time has stopped for me... temporarily.

And as I write this, I realize that my paintings are waiting - new ones in my mind so that I can "see" how to work out the details, and the old ones yet to be framed as if they say, "We are here! not forgotten!"

ok - I'm hearing voices... I've lost it.

maybe, for an artist, life without art is just that: insanity

ladywolf1
12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Alachua Artist
great topic;

However, I can now imagine life without art.

I've been in an accident, and will be unable to paint for about 8 weeks while I mend. My pastels sit in their own dust; my paint tube caps remain on the tubes instead of the floor; my papers and canvas stand clean and unmarked. Time has stopped for me... temporarily.

And as I write this, I realize that my paintings are waiting - new ones in my mind so that I can "see" how to work out the details, and the old ones yet to be framed as if they say, "We are here! not forgotten!"

ok - I'm hearing voices... I've lost it.

maybe, for an artist, life without art is just that: insanity

Wendy,
although i don't know you...... your post hit me dead center...
i am so sorry that you were injured... and i truly hope you are quickly on the mend.

.... but, think of what you said..... "my paintings are waiting".....
and they are! they aren't going anywhere....

maybe they can just rest and heal with you... let the new ideas play in your mind and daydreams.....tape record your thoughts if you aren't able to write them down right now.....
**and before you know it, this time will slip by and you shall be working again....

*just try not to fret too much about anything....
think 'healing'...... & we'll all be sending white light your way.

cheri
*.... and i do have a couple of stupid jokes if you ever need cheering up...k?

judithj
12-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Wendy, I am very sorry to hear that you were in an accident and I hope that you will recover your health quickly. It must be so frustrating to not be able to make the art that whispers in your ear. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

I would also like to thank everyone who has shared their thoughts in this thread - it has been very inspiring to read.

Blessings to all, Judith

ladywolf1
12-09-2003, 04:31 PM
*thank you Earthtones.....
and thank you too Judith..... i'm very glad i stumbled into here this morning...

*i've been thinking... and i'm with Wendy.... a world without art would be an insane world for me... both inside and out.

*art is such a refuge and a pure joy for the "self" on many levels....isn't it?
physically, mentally, emotionally & spiritually....
i feel that we all are very lucky indeed.

cheri

ladywolf1
12-09-2003, 10:26 PM
*ok.... speaking of enhancing .....

***we have a wounded "warrior" in our midst who could use a lighthearted moment and she has given the go-ahead to try and survive my bad jokes....

*so, if there are any other contributors.... pleeeease.....help me out here & post your best..... !

so ....here goes wendy...... (*i'll substitute my own heritage in...)

Two "slow" norwegians went out fishing in a boat.
They dropped anchor, baited their lines and started catching fish like crazy....
one norwegian got so excited, he pulled out a can of red paint and painted a big red "X" on the bottom of the boat and sat their proudly grinning at his work.

His buddy asked sarcastically, "what is THAT for?
"So we can remember where to come back to tomorrow!"

"oh for God's SAKE!" his friend replied... "That is the dummest idea I've ever heard of!!! How do you know we'll get the same boat?!"
:D

take care wendy....
hasta manana....

c

Alachua Artist
12-10-2003, 08:44 AM
:clap: oh thank you for the cheery well-wishings!

maybe I should paint a red X on my motorcycle... or would a bullseye be more appropriate?

Tomorrow is another doctor visit for more x-rays and maybe a cast upgrade. I wonder if they come in designer colors? I could always paint it! ... now there's a thought - I'll get back to artwork one way or another :evil:

ladywolf1
12-10-2003, 09:12 AM
hey wendy....... good idea re: new cast!

Get out the fluorescent paint, glitter and holographic paper and make that cast glow in the dark, lol! That's the spirit....!

good luck tomorrow......

c:cool:

and what do you call a dog with no legs?
*nothing....... he won't come anyway.....

sirce
12-10-2003, 02:14 PM
I have a feeling I'm not able to think out of the artistic manner. Even in taking academic courses, I found that I can think miles ahead of other people and keep my grad papers fresh because of my painting and artistic background. When the teachers say I'm a great student...I keep reminding them I'm an Artist...I cannot be limited to being only linear...I don't think I'm special...I think they're just not exposed to being with Artists....I am Normal when I am with Artists.