PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Workshop

Rod
07-21-2001, 08:11 AM
I attended a pastel Tutored workshop today with the Rangiora Art Society, after a demo we all worked from a model photo,
my efforts for the day, all comments welcome,
Rod
( Also posted in Portraits Forum )
<BR>
<center>http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2001/pastelportrait.jpg</center>
<BR>
Art Spectrum pastels on Canson Mi-Teintes Paper.

sandge
07-21-2001, 09:46 AM
I replied in the Portraiture forum.

I just wondered whether you had any pastel tips/advice or things you learned about pastels to share here. Thanks, Rod. :D

LDianeJohnson
07-21-2001, 05:16 PM
Hi Rod,

Nice piece! Since I cannot see the reference you used to paint the portrait I will just make a couple of general observations.

The face is nicely rendered and fairly blended. The hair is more of strokes left as they were applied. To bring the face and hair together ever so lightly stroke across the hair with your fingertip especially in the highlighted area. It does not have to be "blended", just a bit blurred; also on the area that turns away from the head.

The whites of the eyes are really not white which you have done well. To make the eye on the shadow side of the face even more real, subdue the white of that eye a bit more while keeping the highlight in the shade.

Also look for and apply the shadow on the upper part iris on both eyes.

The action in the hair is wonderful, and you really captured her attitude.

Diane

dollardays
07-21-2001, 11:19 PM
It's hard to work from photos and get a balanced look- at least I have had problems. Sometimes they turn out- sometimes they don't. I just try to pinpoint where the light source is and go from there- keeping the warms in the shadow and the cools in the light when I'm unsiure of which stick to use. All my pastels are divided this way, especially when I do people.

It looks to me as if the right side of her face is the "shadow" side, so maybe some warmer neutrals over the cool areas could balance it a bit.

But I think you've achieved an almost airbrushed look on her face and her eyes are very nice. The hair (to me) adds a very nice contrast, although I know a lot of pastelists like to have more even tones and less contrast so that it doesn't detract from the face.

Was the photo from an ad?

Nora

Rod
07-22-2001, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your comments, I have posted some more pics of our day which also shows the photo we worked from,
http://www.artistnation.com/members/paris/ras/clubdays/pastelworkshop.html
Please take a look,
Rod

dollardays
07-22-2001, 05:27 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos, Rod. But now that I've seen the photo, I think the hair should be toned down, too.

Yours looks better than ever compared to some of the others. Did you enjoy it and feel you learned enough to be worth your time?

Nora

Rod
07-28-2001, 03:00 AM
Thanks Nora,
I agree with your comments re softening the hair,
Rod