PDA

View Full Version : Watercolour brushes

kieran
09-21-2000, 06:50 AM
Hi,

I'm getting back into painting after a while away. Unfortunately, my watercolour brushes have 'disappeared' over the years and I need to buy some new ones. Can anyone recommend a good brand and how many (and what sizes) I should buy? Also, what paper is good these days?

Thanks,
Kieran

LindaE
09-21-2000, 11:55 AM
Hi Kieran,

Over the years I've purchased about a zillion brushes; every shape, size, function you can think of has made its way into my brush holders. The thing I've learned is that I really only use a small handful (#4, #8 and #12 round, plus a 2 inch wash and a 1 inch flat and maybe a mop). If I had it to do all over again, I would have foregone buying so many others and just bought the best of these. I have used Series 7's, Isabey's and some very old Robert Simmons brushes. I'd recommend them all. I don't like synthetic hair brushes although I know that lots of folks love them. Hope this helps!

Some of my brushes are 30 years old; the handles on some of my favorites are now (probably because of my own neglect) chipping off; some ferrules are loose. Does anyone know how to restore handles? The hair on these sorry brushes is in excellent condition and they've become like old friends who I can't bear to part with.

sassybird
09-21-2000, 03:06 PM
A good angle brush is always good to have on hand. You can get a variety of strokes with it.

------------------
sass