PDA

View Full Version : Orchids in Oil

Fagan
11-26-2003, 05:21 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2003/2383_orchids-in-oil.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2003/2383_orchids-in-oil-cl1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2003/2383_orchids-in-oil-cl2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Orchids in Oil
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16in by 20in
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
oil on gallery wrapped canvas

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does this composition work? What needs doing? Any comments or critiques welcomed.

Precious Mazie
11-26-2003, 08:19 PM
I like your flowers, the vase and the oranges. The vase has a beautiful opal feel to it and the oranges look good enough to eat! The colors of the back ground are unusual but pleasing. The only negative that I see are the leaves. They do not have the same "real" quality to them that the rest of the painting has. Hope to see other postings of your work!

mckittre
11-26-2003, 09:50 PM
The composition looks good to me.

The only nitpick I have is with the whites (flowers and vase). Not sure if it's just the photo, but they look a bit flat. Some more darks in there for contrast?

Fagan
11-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Precious...yes...I am not thrilled with the leaves...will need to re-work them. I did put this up for auction...will make the changes if it does not sell.

McKittre...there is more contrast in the original. I had a few problems taking a good pic of this painting.

pero lane
11-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Composition works...I had the same thoughts as Mckittre on the flowers/depth but knowing your work I assumed they just didn't show up well here. :)

Fagan
11-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks Pat....I agree..the flowers could use some more definition. :)

xvallarta
11-28-2003, 05:42 PM
I agree with the others who say the flowers need shading and depth. However, I would go on to say the entire painting needs to be shaded and the darks darkened. Try to seek out the dramatic...not just a flat rendering. Look at still lifes in museums, magazines, internet. See how they achieve beauty by raising the contrast ratio between dark and light about 10 times what you have in this painting.

A suggestion. Consider this an underpainting. Now let it dry and then repaint it. Try to make the center of interest "pop out" and cast the unimportant parts back into deep shadow. Still life is the best way to learn how to paint. Flowers are a hard subject and so let me make another suggestion.

Get 5 bricks...common house bricks. Pile them up in some random manner with some of the bricks laying at angles and on top of each other. Don't make a wall. Make a pile.

Then try to paint the bricks so well that you will want to use them to build something with. Why bricks? Because they are regular in shape and so the shadows are easy to see. They are rough so you can practice makeing surfaces. When you are pleased with your brick work...then get 5 stones...large stones of irregular shape and type. Pile them up...helter skelter..and now paint them. They will be more difficult because the surfaces are curved the stones have different composition. When you can do them to your satisfaction then try flowers, plants, etc.

just one guy's suggestion.

myles

Fagan
11-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Thank you Myles for your suggestions.....good ones. *SMILE* I agree this needs to be dramatized a bit more. It is a little deeper in real life...not showing well in this pic.

JaneS
11-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Visually I find much to like about the whole painting. The leaves work for me. I do find myself wanting to tell those three oranges to loosen up a little. They seem to me to be just a little bit clingy in relation to that vase.
;)

---Jane