PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

coulter
11-26-2003, 11:42 AM
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-26-2003/6690_Wolf_River_Autumn_b.jpg

Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24

Wayne Gaudon
11-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Awesome water .. excellent .. :clap:

Of course you know there is a nit .. LOL
the horizontals are very dominant and could be looked at and in the grass the verticals are overpowering.

if you made your grass of mixed vertical and horizontal you can see the differente it makes .. quick patch in PSP using mostly horizontals and that expands the depth of the field.

I would as well think of avoiding the straight line where the field and grass meet as it provides another strong horizontal that makes the horizontal bars dominate your composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2003/5946-Image2.gif
Don't shoot the messanger. Happy thanksgiving. Guess that's why no one is here.

coulter
11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks Wayne! I like how that adds depth to the field!

Mark

pero lane
11-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Beautiful Mark...Wayne's fix does add more depth.:)
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you too!!!!!:)

Joi
11-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Mmm...I can just smell the autumn air when I look at this.
The water is particularly nice, and I enjoy your shore line.

Happy Thanksgiving!

giniaad
11-26-2003, 05:46 PM
this is very very nice indeed
Wayne's idea is good
and the land can look the way you have it too

cheers!

artinoils
11-26-2003, 06:01 PM
Wow, Mark, this is beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love it totally. The spots of green at the water's edge and into the reflection are perfect. The color throughout is superb.
Be careful with Wayne's suggestion, although pushing the trees back looks good too. To do so would change your reflection...the trees may not reflect at all if more distance is applied.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Have to say hearing "Alice's Restaurant" while stuck in traffic is my favorite part of the day.:D

Wayne Gaudon
11-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Be careful with Wayne's suggestion, although pushing the trees back looks good too. To do so would change your reflection...the trees may not reflect at all if more distance is applied.

:o .. wow .. what a thinker .. I had not even given that a thought .. I just thought that the field looked foreshortened like a photo. :o

Helen Zapata
11-26-2003, 08:06 PM
chuckling... I haven't heard Alice's Restaurant in ages!

I like it just as it is. I have a special fondness for paintings with strong horizontals and a certain abstract flatness to them. I like Wayne's version, but that's a whole different painting. I like it LOTS, Mark!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Enjoy the day tomorrow!

warm hugs all around,
Helen

coulter
11-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks Pat!!!

Joi, thank you!

Ginia, here's a toast to you! thank you

Originally posted by artinoils
Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Have to say hearing "Alice's Restaurant" while stuck in traffic is my favorite part of the day.:D
LOL! 10 years ago or so, I would've been the person on the radio playing that for you! Us jocks always voted in meetings to play it a bunch of times around Thanksgiving cuz it was like a 20 minute break to get something eat! (glad those days are over - no more working weekends, holidays...oh wait, instead I have to "dial-in" from home tomorrow to make sure the automation on Morning Edition and Fresh Air is working.....:( oh well things change but stay the same!)
Thank you Susan!

Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
.. wow .. what a thinker ..
I agree, we'd better pay attention to what this gal says!!

Originally posted by zapata
warm hugs all around,
Helen

Hear Hear! Same from me :D

Mark

stephanf
11-27-2003, 02:43 AM
yabbadabbadooo

mattlart
11-28-2003, 12:58 PM
You've chosen a really unusual palette,..my friend.

Some interesting comments here.................:)

Can't really get a 'feel' for the painting here,....as I'm very sure that it needs to be seen 'in-person'! (maybe tomorrow?)

However,..............................;) ,..I do love the mysterious feeling of the woods in the backround.

As for reflections relative to the placement of the trees and shoreline........; well,..depending on where the light is coming from;..I've seen some unexpected things happen out there !

Also,..it seems ok to take liberties with things like that..........sometimes.:) Happy Thanksgiving,..and "Black Friday",..as well! Cheers,-Scott

xvallarta
11-28-2003, 05:33 PM
This is one of those paintings with both good and bad elements.

The good I believe is the water reflections...you have a good handle on that skill

The bad: The background ....it looks like a great chinese wall made out of scratches and sticks.

What it does need above all else is a "grabber" something to give a reason for the paintin in the first place. Something to catch the eye and cause an emotion or a spark of interest in the viewe. Something that is the center of interest. Something!

I would chalk this one off as an exercise in painting water reflections and apply the skills you learned on this one to a new one. I really suggest you plan out your paintings before you just "do it!" There is an old axiom in the painting game which goes like this. "MORE PAINTINGS ARE RUINED BEFORE A BRUSH TOUCHES THE CANVAS THAN AT ANY OTHERTIME."

Just my opinion.

myles

coulter
11-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by stephanf
yabbadabbadooo
LOL! Thanks stephanf

Hey Scott, I just put some retouch varnish on it to bring back some shine so it's ready to be seen tomorrow!

Maybe Myles is right, no clear focal point.... although.... I don't know if I would give up my distant trees, I worked very hard to make them indistinct :D which would bring the eyes forward to the shoreline and the water.....

Thank you Myles, you are right and that's wonderful advice! too much painting things and not enough painting "a thing"

Mark

mattlart
11-28-2003, 07:12 PM
I totally disagree with Myles.

Granted,..; there is no STRONG focal point ,..and, perhaps the painting would benefit FROM a more defined area-or-two;..
I find that "Great Wall" to be mysterious and beautiful.

Actually,..I suppose that I don't TOTALLY disagree with Myles,..lol,...; the water is appealing as well.

Gotta go check out Myle's work. Cheers,-Scott

mattlart
11-28-2003, 07:17 PM
Myles,..would you kindly display some of your own landscape work to better illustrate your observations? Thank you,-S

Fagan
11-28-2003, 07:37 PM
I love the muted colors....and the indistinct background. Very well done!

I agree with Matt....would like to see some of your work Myles ....just to get a feel for where you are coming from if nothing else. *SMILE*

woodguy
11-30-2003, 03:04 AM
Well, Mark, somehow I missed this...duh, maybe "turkey comma" But now that I have seen this "in person" it is much stonger and bolder that what appears here. The background trees work much better in person....the whole painting works better as a matter of fact. As gracious as you and Marcia are, I think you need to invite all the commenters over for dinner so that they can see the real thing....then have them repost their comments! I guess the point of this this comment is that artist's posting here should realize that what they see on the easel in front of them is "not" what the commentor sees when he/she makes suggestions. And also Mark, that was a fine new porter! Jim

coulter
11-30-2003, 09:51 AM
Scott, as always thank you!

Thank you Beverly!!

Originally posted by woodguy
I think you need to invite all the commenters over for dinner so that they can see the real thing....then have them repost their comments!
LOL! Jim's you've seen how small our "cottage" is, they'll have to come over one at a time!
But yes, seeing Scott's work in person is life-changing for an artist! As good as digital cameras will get, they will never capture the feeling of presence his work, and your work in a different way, evokes. Seeing your paintings in person always just stuns me, beautifully mysterious and wonderfully alive, each one!!
And for those that can't come visit our painting group in Denver, I would say you can dramatically improve your artwork by going and seeing paintings. Find othe painters to visit and go to gallerys and museums, a lot!

Mark